PDA

View Full Version : Airfield CAT B/C Briefs

First.officer
20th Sep 2013, 12:57
Hi,

Just wondering what resources and methods people out there in PPRuNe land use to build Categorisation Briefs (B/C) for their respective companies etc.??

I can build a relatively simple brief by using the relevant country AIP, Jepp Plates, VISTAIR, BA RIM, Weatherspark for climatology and using a template from CAP760 for risk analysis etc., and to build a brief.......but would really like to know if i'm missing good resources elsewhere etc., or maybe the aforementioned is not enough/suitable?

F/o

envoy
21st Sep 2013, 01:10
Google Earth. In addition to overhead imagery, the 3D terrain views can be helpful. Position yourself on an extended centreline at 5NM at 1500'AGL, looking back at the runway; or site yourself at the threshold and look along the runway and up to the departure path.

I use Google Earth alot in China when going to 'closed' airports where we can't obtain authoritative information until just before departure. It could be equally useful preparing a CatB/C brief.

You might also try YouTube. Occasionally pilots/pax will upload videos of approaches to more interesting airports.

Safe flying!

First.officer
21st Sep 2013, 09:49
Ah, thanks for that envoy....I do already use Google Maps (forgot to mention that bit lol), and that coupled with VISTAIR usually works nicely ;-)

Must try Goole Earth and yes, the Youtube vids are good for getting a 'feel' for the place your visiting also....

F/o