PDA

View Full Version : Bomber Command Clasp

thegypsy
20th Sep 2013, 12:25
Has anybody applied for this clasp for their next of kin?

I have filled up the form five times and E Mailed it to MOD Innsworth plus a hard copy in mail twice and have not heard a dickybird back. Gave all the details requested ie Name, Rank, Service No, Squadron. Copy of my father's service record which I got for £30 from Cranwell a few years back. He got his wings in 1937 and survived the first few years of WW11 until copping it in 1943 thanks to a Me110 on the way to Cologne.

Pontius Navigator
20th Sep 2013, 18:34
Yes.

There may be few survivors but there are hundreds of thousands of NOK.

Sadly you additional applications, if repeated across only a few of those hopefuls could push that figure in to millions.

I applied on behalf of the widow of an Arctic Star veteran in the first week or so. She got an acknowledgement saying the application would be checked in due course - she had already got the Arctic emblem.

On Wednesday I read that an Arctic Star survivor had only been awarded his medal this week.

I checked the Veterans' website and then rang helpline number for the medals office. The gave priority to survivors and only this month have they started to address the issue of medals and bars to NOK.

Overwhelmed by response would seem to be the answer and putting more people on the job would have been prohibitively expensive.

thegypsy
20th Sep 2013, 19:17
PN

Yes I have just located a phone number to call 08457800900 and one gets a recorded message saying that applications are taking two months to process and that acknowledgements are " taking a considerable amount of time " and that NOK applications will be dealt with from September ( which is now!)

Topsy Turvey
20th Sep 2013, 21:21
Have heard medal office is in a mess due to poor management - planning. Many of the experienced staff left under the MoD civilian redundancy scheme so Agency staff had to be hired to deal with launch of the Arctic Star and Bomber Command Clasp. Apparently currently trying to recruit over 20 new civilian staff on 12 month contracts.

thegypsy
21st Sep 2013, 06:59
Not surprised to hear that. You would think after 68 years too late they would plan it properly. A sad reflection on how this country seems to have lost its way.

Winco
21st Sep 2013, 09:13
Unfortunately the Medal Office is in the same state as most of the MOD departments, utter chaos and confusion.

I had a conversation yesterday with a chap who has been trying for the past 4 years or so to resolve a minor problem and constantly comes up against the brick-wall of ignorance and incompetence that is, sadly the MOD.

Good luck to those involved. It just goes to prove this and past governments loyalty and commitment to veterans

Heathrow Harry
21st Sep 2013, 12:06
To be fair the MoD should have higher priorities than issuing medals...........

like getting everyone out of Afghanistan in one piece

Lingo Dan
22nd Sep 2013, 08:35
I have just received my late father's Arctic Star from the Medal Office. As he was in the Merchant Navy, the application was first vetted by the Registry of Shipping and Seaman in Cardiff. They received the paperwork towards the end of July.

About two weeks ago, I received a phone call from them saying my application had been successful and had been forwarded to the Medal Office. The medal arrived on Wednesday.

Maybe they have upped their game in the last few weeks, but I reckon that's pretty good service.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Sep 2013, 08:50
It should be remembered that things were no different after the two major wars. In many years of dealing in militaria I have often come across WW1 and WW2 medals still in their original packaging. In the case of WW1 packages dated 1923-24 were not in the least unusual, and I have seen WW2 medals that were sent out in 1950. These incidentally are initial issues, not replacements or late claims.

I appreciate that there is some anxiety that, to put it bluntly, claimants may not survice to see their medal/clasp, but this is nothing new.

Pontius Navigator
2nd Oct 2013, 20:16
Mother-in-law's Arctic Star delivered on 27th.

The medal also has her husband's name and number on the reverse.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Oct 2013, 23:18
The medal also has her husband's name and number on the reverse.

That's very interesting P-N. Its fairly well known that WW2 stars and medals were issued unnamed, so that is a departure from the normal practice.

45-25-25
3rd Oct 2013, 07:12
thegypsy

I applied for a Bomber Command Clasp in March on behalf of my deceased Father. I received the first response and Reference number last week.

By applying 5 times and also submitting two applications by letter you are slowing the process down. Be patient! You have waited 68 years what are a few extra months?

45-25-25

MG
3rd Oct 2013, 17:24
Having visited the medal office recently, I'd be surprised if they'd made such a basic error, as they're hugely knowledgable. I think it rather a case of that now being expected and to not name the medals would have been seen as 'wrong'.

I also saw no evidence of 'utter chaos and confusion', just a small team (and they admit that they'd like more) who are methodically and correctly going through the huge numbers of applications, along with the parallel issue of medals for those currently being earned for Afghanistan.

Prangster
3rd Oct 2013, 19:54
Not sure if on right thread but can anyone give me a heads up on the turnround time from application. Claimed stepfathers (Flt Lt H Cooke DFC 7 and 156 Squadons) clasp way back April/May but no sign yet.

Nugget90
3rd Oct 2013, 20:32
I also sent in an application for this Clasp on behalf of my late father in May and heard nothing until two days ago when the Medal Office asked me to return a Next of Kin form and a photocopy of my father's Death Certificate. They apologised for the delay but explained that they had given priority to those who had flown in Bomber Command and to the widows of those who had passed away.

I, like you, was wondering when I might get confirmation that my original application had been received, but now that I have this and have sent in the last two documents they require I trust that the Clasp will soon be awarded and I can replace the ribbon on my father's 1939 - 45 Star (the Clasp comes already attached to a replacement ribbon).

Tankertrashnav
3rd Oct 2013, 22:47
As an aside, there is nothing recent about the practice of naming campaign medals. The first British campaign medal to be awarded to all ranks was the Waterloo Medal, and these were invariably impressed with the recipient's name, rank and regiment. Since then virtually all British campaign medals have been issued named, with the exception of those awarded for the Second World War. The assumption was that this was done so as not to slow down their issue, but they managed to name First World War medals, although as I said above, these were quite slow to appear.

Drifting even further, I always thought it a shame that gallantry awards which were hitherto only awarded to officers and warrant officers (MC, DFC, AFC, etc) were issued unnamed. I have heard that since they became all ranks awards they are now issued named, but as I haven't seen any recent awards I'd appreciate confirmation, or otherwise, from anyone who has the facts.

Pontius Navigator
4th Oct 2013, 07:51
TTN, as you say, all my grandfather's medals (Indian Army) were named except for MC and Croix de Guerre. My uncle's (Australian Army) were named and my aunt's (British) were unnamed.

Prangster
15th Nov 2013, 18:00
Stepfathers clasp turned up just in time to add to his medals for this years Remembrance day parade.

Al R
15th Nov 2013, 18:26
I remember, after Corporate, the stories of the families of the deceased getting campaign medals in the post, in bits and which required self assembly - complete with instructions.

thegypsy
21st Jun 2014, 08:39
It arrived today by recorded delivery. Now what am I supposed to do with it? Leave it in its little box or do I remove a ribbon from my father's row of four medals and replace it with this clasp? If so which one do I remove?

Wensleydale
21st Jun 2014, 09:37
Take the clasp off the ribbon in the display box, and sew it on to the ribbon with the 1939-45 star (same colours as the one in the box). Google will show you where it fits onto the ribbon.

Alternatively, you can pay a tailor to do it for you - many advertise for this service on the net - rates vary.

thegypsy
21st Jun 2014, 12:20
Wensleydale

Thanks for that information.

Romeo Oscar Golf
21st Jun 2014, 17:30
I applied for a Bomber Command Clasp in March on behalf of my deceased Father. I received the first response and Reference number last week.

By applying 5 times and also submitting two applications by letter you are slowing the process down. Be patient! You have waited 68 years what are a few extra months?

45-25-25

Quite unacceptable and administratively incompetent. Even a single person in an office can repy to every application on the day of receipt by sending a pre printed acknowledgement letter.
How you guys can defend this beats me!

http://www.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=8079246) http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8079246&noquote=1)

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jun 2014, 07:23
ROG, at near a pound a shot, and the time taken to address the acknowledgement, it is money well saved. They are not a commercial organisation; they don't need to win your custom.