PDA

View Full Version : First solo.

Al R
20th Sep 2013, 06:39
I watched this clip about Cranwell..

http://bps.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00074000/00074511.mp4.m3u8

.. and was wondering if anyone would want to share tales of their first solo? The rehearsed actor in the clip doesn't seem to care but how different was it for you, did you know the night before and spend a sleepless night or did your instructor simply toss you the keys with a knowing smile, and do you still remember every detail or did it go in a blur? Instructors too, what was it like.. what was the drill - was there one?

:ok:

Onceapilot
20th Sep 2013, 06:49
1972 RAF Ternhill, Kirby Cadet Mk111. An incredible experience as a young Air Cadet. Thank you to anyone who was involved in teaching and trusting me to fly:D.

OAP

thunderbird7
20th Sep 2013, 06:50
First 'solo' in a Nimrod was the best! No nerves from us at the front but the crew down the back were a little jittery.... :)

Roland Pulfrew
20th Sep 2013, 07:29
First real solo, just like OAP, was in a Kirby Cadet Mk III, only mine was from RMB Condor in Arbroath. Lovely day and I still remember looking out to sea on the downwind leg and the view of the airfield. Can't remember the date though but probably 80/81.

First jet solo. JP 3. RAF Elvington. 1983. Don't remember whether I had a sleepless night but I still remember the weather, the view of the empty seat next to me, the circuit itself.

Can't remember all of the first solos that I have authorised - after the event. And sadly can't remember who was the first person I sent solo or where it was, but I do remember sending first solos at a number of airfields and standing in the tower watching them go.

Tiger_mate
20th Sep 2013, 08:00
Kirby Cadet Mk III (Theme developing here?) at Burtonwood. Accelerated into every corner as the prospect of stalling in the turn terrified me. Something very special about your first solo, and couldn't resist a look over my shoulder to cast an eye on the empty seat behind. First solo on any new type is also a special event.

c-bert
20th Sep 2013, 08:09
First solo was at Southampton (not mil) dodging the commuter traffic. Uneventful apart from the 2nd worst landing in all my time flying.

Wander00
20th Sep 2013, 08:14
Sywell, summer 1961, bank holiday Saturday (when it was still at the start of the month). I was 17 and a half Les Hilditch growled "Want to go on your own?" As I taxied the Auster J1 out I noticed that strictly against instructions my parents had driven up from W London. Did a decent circuit until I had to overshoot as someone had turned in front of me (no radio) and did a second circuit and landed - brilliant. Until I discovered that my dear old Mum had turned to another student and said "Is he going solo. What by himself?" Other student was on the same entry at Cranwell eighteen months later - so the story got about. You still out there -MTP?

Ali Qadoo
20th Sep 2013, 08:16
Yup, Kirby Cadet for me too. Whitsun 1974 at West Malling - perfect weather, great instructors, can remember it as though it were yesterday. (Shame I can't even remember where I've put my glasses these days.)

I remember thinking as I released the cable, something along the lines of, 'Well, this is a glider. No engine, the only way from here is down, so best not make a pigs of it.'

First powered solo came later that summer - Cessna 150 at Shoreham on a flying scholarship.

First jet solo, JP5A from Barkston 1980, and then ten years later, after flying Hawks, F-4s and then Hawks again, came my first ever real solo in an aeroplane with no back seat. For some reason that was even more special than all the empty back/right hand seats put together

MAD Boom
20th Sep 2013, 08:19
On a Flying Scholarship at Wellsbourne in '95 on a Cessna 152 G-OLEE.

I was last on the course to go solo and as such I was nicknamed 'Orville' (Not after the aviation pioneer, but the fat little flightless green puppet!) and was clearly nervous.

The aircraft failed the power check at the holding point which meant an embarrassing taxi back for the CFI to jump in and sort out which did bugger all for my nerves.

With the engine running sweet, I made a second and far more successful attempt at launching, singing to myself as I went to deal with the nerves. Just when I thought I'd calmed down, my door catch gave up the ghost allowing the door to fall open. I cra**ed myself and to this day I can't recall the final 5 minutes of that flight and have no idea how I managed to land it.

My second solo was an hour-long circuits bash. After numerous overshoots, sorry, low-approach and go-arounds, I clocked up only 1 landing. Some things never change....................

Wander00
20th Sep 2013, 08:23
My first solo in a single seater was 3 years ago at a small airfield in France in a Pegase glider on aerotow, 52 years after my "first" solo. All over the place (Pegase is pretty sensitive especially in pitch) so I thought "fly it like a Gnat", so one finger on the top of the stick - brilliant - soared for an hour - that was pretty special

hanoijane
20th Sep 2013, 08:25
Scared sh*tless. From beginning to end. Seriously considered giving up. Didn't. Don't know why.

SpazSinbad
20th Sep 2013, 08:29
My RAAF instructor (I was an RAN Midshipman) at RAAF Pearce mid 1968 crossed himself (in the Roamin' Catholick fashion) as I taxied forward turning left, to see him do so, on my first Vampire solo; after earlier getting through the basic Winjeel training at Point Cook. Oh those RAAFie chappies and their sense of humour. Never understood it meself. :}

Wholigan
20th Sep 2013, 08:37
Kirby Cadet 1961.

JP3 Syerston 1964.

But the one I remember best was Hunter Mk6 at Chivenor when, after getting airborne I thought "well nobody else could be in here even if they wanted to".

X767
20th Sep 2013, 08:39
19 Feb 1962 - Barkston Heath - JP3 XM454. My instructor, Peter Woodham taxied in ( I thought the trip was over), jumped out and said "It's all yours".
15 mins later I had done my first solo T/O, circuit and rather bumpy landing - the start of a 45 year love affair with flying.

thing
20th Sep 2013, 08:40
First solo was in a K13 at Cosford some 20 odd years ago. I remember screaming 'Yeeeeeees!' as I released the cable. Can't remember too much else about it but I obviously got down OK...

First powered solo was in a 172, bit of a non event, just another bit of the ladder to PPL. Best bit of the PPL training was the qualifying xc, felt like a real power pilot when I had done that.

octavian
20th Sep 2013, 08:45
My first solo took place at Dunstable Downs on 23 July 1971. After a number of winch launches in a K13 (385) including a few simulated cable breaks, John Cardiff said it was time for me to go off by myself. Go get a parachute, (what?why?), a quick briefing and then my first solo was also my first single seat solo in a K8 (107). 18 years old, what a feeling.

Didn't continue for various reasons until.....

First powered solo 10 July 2003, PA38 G-RVRF at Sleap. Thanks Alan, I'm not giving it up now!

Fareastdriver
20th Sep 2013, 09:31
27th November 1960. Hunting Percival Provost T1 XF 549 at High Ercall, Tern Hill's relief landing ground. A cold frosty morning with large patches of ice on the runway and virtually no wind.
After thirty minutes of circuits Flt Lt Elkins had me taxy back to the take off point, unstrapped and told me to do it by myself. He supervised my take off checks, warned me to avoid the ice patches and disappeared.
Take off and climb was OK but downwind I looked over at the empty right hand seat and felt very strange. The approach was fine the and landing was a three point greaser.
I rolled to the end and then not being sure what to do I taxied all the way round the perimeter track back to the take off point for my instructor. He climbed in and bollocked me for not taxiing directly back down the runway because he was freezing cold.
He flew it back to Tern Hill so that the occasion could sink in.

My last flight in command was on the 7th November 2008, almost forty-eight years later. XF 549 only lasted another three and a half years, being sold as scrap on the 13th July 1964.

Al R
20th Sep 2013, 09:48
He flew it back to Tern Hill so that the occasion could sink in.

That's a nice touch, but doesn't car insurance not cover you on the day you pass your driving test, just in case..?! This would be the ideal subject for a micro publisher or a charity wanting to raise a few quid. The common theme seems to be looking across and seeing an empty seat.

SOSL
20th Sep 2013, 10:04
Me too: Kirby Cadet Mk III, winch launch; RAF Catterick; Aug 1966.

Rgds SOS

jayteeto
20th Sep 2013, 10:22
First Jet solo, Barkston Heath 1988, was down to the wire. Solo or chop, it was that close and my time was up, it looked very bad for me. My instructor looked at the fuel and said "if you have to go around, take it back to Cranwell, there isn't enough fuel for 2 circuits". Afterwards he jumped in and sat on top of the seat blind without strapping in for the journey back. That was the lowest I ever saw JP fuel gauges.
Sir, thank you for not chopping me, I have turned out alright!!

NutherA2
20th Sep 2013, 10:31
CCF Flying Scholarship, Southend Flying Club (Rochford), Tiger Moth GAMSY 31 July 1954; in common with all the other students lucky enough to fly the Tiger, the first and clearest memory is how much better the forward view was without an instructor’s head in the way.

Second clearest memory is of the telephone call I made to my mother immediately after landing:

“Hello Mum, I’ve just been solo”

“That’s nice dear, what does it mean?”

“My Instructor got out of the aeroplane and let me fly by myself”

“If I’d known they were going to make you do that I would never have signed that form!” :ok:

Fitter2
20th Sep 2013, 10:50
Interesting how many flying careers started with membership of the ATC (but I guess not surprising).

Me too, 1st gliding solo Cadet Mk III WT919, Kirton-Lindsey March 1960.

First solo power, L-4 Cub, Blackbushe, August 1969.

(First aerotow from the front end of the rope October 1969, Netheravon, Jackaroo G-APAM).

Basil
20th Sep 2013, 11:10
“If I’d known they were going to make you do that I would never have signed that form!”
Reminds me of the griefstricken expression on my mother's face when my RAF acceptance letter arrived. :)

1st solo: South Cerney, Chipmunk, 13 June 1966. Outstanding memory: Looking round to check full & free and no instructor there - ooer! :uhoh:

Lingo Dan
20th Sep 2013, 11:18
Beautiful summer evening, 22 June, 1966 at UAS summer camp at RAF Ballykelly.

I can remember being 200 ft high downwind and wondering if they could see me on radar! Overturned the centre line, but did the smoothest greaser nevertheless. My instructor, the late Flt Lt Brian Rampling said "f...ing awful approach but a great landing - lets' have a beer!"

FLCH
20th Sep 2013, 11:32
Not a mil guy so forgive the transgression, first solo was in a Kirby Cadet at Cosford I think in 75, my other real solo was EWR-BFS in a 757 about 8 years ago.

L J R
20th Sep 2013, 11:42
Remember lining up without doing the pre-take-off checks......CT-4A

airborne_artist
20th Sep 2013, 11:50
I've three to choose from:

1st solo - C150 at Leavsden while on an RAF Flying Scholarship at Luton in 1977. I had been having issues with landing (frightened of hitting the ground hard, which made it far, far worse. Solved by a change of instructor, and I was fine thereafter).

1st military solo - Chipmunk at Roborough on FAA Flying Grading. A lovely bright but not breezy November day, and on the previous circuit I was shown where to dump it if I had an engine failure on crosswind/early downwind. I remember feeling very good during and after. Best fun with one's trousers on.

1st rotary solo - Predannack in a Gazelle. Wonderful aircraft, and only wish I could run one now :ugh:

Of the three it's the Chipmunk trip I remember the best and with the fondest memories.

ACW599
20th Sep 2013, 12:20
UWAS Chipmunk T10 WZ862 at RAF St Athan, 4 Mar 73. A life-changer.

I've sent a few of my own as well since then...

CoffmanStarter
20th Sep 2013, 12:49
Like most chaps on this thread ...

1st solo was in a Kirby Cadet TX Mk3 (although T31B sounded a bit more aggressive back then) XN246 with 617 VGS RAF Manston September 1973 ... I remember it was a bl00dy cold day ... and yes the unit badge depicted a Mk3 with a "Bouncing Bomb" slung underneath doing a final run at a Dam !

Mind you ... I now feel very old as XN246 appears to be a museum exhibit at the Southampton Solent Sky Aviation Museum :eek:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/7583708098_108b4b213f_m_zps233f3009.jpg

1st solo powered aircraft was in a C-150 Aerobat G-AYUY with The Cinque Ports Flying Club at Lydd doing a Flying Scholarship.

Thinking back now ... the confidence gained doing the gliding solo at 16 made the powered solo feel very much a "matter of fact" moment.

thing
20th Sep 2013, 13:18
Thinking back now ... the confidence gained doing the gliding solo at 16 made the powered solo feel very much a "matter of fact" moment.

My thoughts too, powered solo was very much 'that's done what's next' feeling.

Opsbeatch
20th Sep 2013, 13:35
November 1991 in a Grob 103 (Viking) at Wethersfield. A crisp Autumn day and the instructor got out and told me to go and enjoy myself. Top of the launch and I'm sure you could see my grin from the other side of the country! Didn't put enough rudder in on my downwind turn and flinched as I was expecting the usual boot from behind...that's when I finally realised I was on my own :)

OB

SOSL
20th Sep 2013, 13:54
Coff & thing. You're right, the confidence from a first solo in a glider, at 16 was an amazing boost.

I went on to do a Flying Schol at Carlisle Flying Club. C150 for general handling, C172 for cross country and Auster J5F (Aiglet) for aerobatics.

Then I joined the RAF as an Engineer and had the best 36 years of my life!

After that I did some consultancy which was OK, the money was good but it wasn't the same.

Then I parted with Mrs SOS and so I am now solo again.

Rgds SOS

sitigeltfel
20th Sep 2013, 14:24
Like others above I first went solo in the Kirby Cadet MkIII. Looking back, I am amazed that I was left to my own devices at the age of 16.
I still remember the check ride instructor telling me to stay in the cockpit while the glider was pushed back to the launch point, the winch cable hooked up and off I went.
All went well but I was given a mild bollocking for what the instructor deemed to be landing too short. I made sure to use more of the grass before the next two landings.

Wander00
20th Sep 2013, 14:34
And now one can solo a glider at 14 - biggest grin I have ever seen on a kid's face at our club the other week.

Ant T
20th Sep 2013, 15:08
Another one for the Kirby Cadet Mk III. Mine was at West Malling, summer '76, weeks after my 16th birthday, on day 2 of the course after 19 launches (57 minutes). Spent the rest of the week hanging around catching the odd ride in a Sedbergh (first loop !).
Started flying for a living at 25 and still enjoying it now :)

Tankertrashnav
20th Sep 2013, 16:14
Cessna 152 at Lands End - age 61, after ** hours (figure redacted to save my blushes)! Main impression was how the rate of climb improved with only one on board - took me by surprise.

Actually didn't make as much of an impression as my first solo landaway (Lands End - Perranporth- Lands End). I was like a dog with two tails that day!

gr4techie
20th Sep 2013, 16:52
I think it was in a Air Cadet Vigilant motorised glider.

The instructor and I did some circuits. Then on one circuit as we came to a halt, he simply opened the door and walked off!

Credit to the instructors training, the solo circuits must have been so ingrained in me that it seemed I flew automatically from muscle memory. There was no panic or uneasy feeling.

N.HEALD
20th Sep 2013, 17:13
13:15 hrs 15th June 2006, Cessna 172 G-WACW Exeter

Unhappy with first approach so executed a go around, on second circuit asked to extend downwind due Hunter traffic on long finals (G-VETA if I recall correct), and to call once visual, do so and cleared finals number two, turned base and had a very nice long approach to R/W 26 and managed a greaser, which was a great relief as had been sweating buckets after the first go-around

moggiee
20th Sep 2013, 17:16
Civilian: White Waltham at West London Aero Club August 1983 - flying a PA28 on a flying scholarship. I remember being s*** scared!

RAF: Dishforth, early 1985, JP3A. I was the last of the course (due to time lost due to illness). Uneventful other than a post flight bollocking for leaving the taxi light on when it should have been off (or vice versa - I didn't really care at that moment). I felt 10 feet tall!

kintyred
20th Sep 2013, 17:36
Dishcloth, spring '84. JP3. Callsign U833. I threw up on finals ( I was later an official sickie). Filled the bag as I was flaring (!) and was unable to respond to AIr Traffic after landing as I was still barfing. They got the message when they saw me wind the canopy back for air, mask hanging to one side, face still buried in the bag!

ImageGear
20th Sep 2013, 18:34
Locking: T21B, 1970, lovely late summer evening, still and quiet, good square circuit, a little bounce but a life long memory.

Capetown PA28 1974, non-event really, perfect weather (as always), no wind, careful shuffling to get between B727, B707's and Shackletons, never a dull moment there.

Best memories, pushing the throttle up on a constant speed prop, lifting the gear and hearing real retraction instead of the usual simulated finger switching.

Imagegear

Onceapilot
20th Sep 2013, 18:52
Good thread so far! After many other personal "first-solo's", I always found it rewarding to fly, instruct and qualify students:ok:.
Back to my first in a Kirby Cadet... "all clear above and behind?" was sobering, "take-up slack" was chilling and, "all-out" led to a career:).

OAP

CoffmanStarter
20th Sep 2013, 18:59
OAP ...

Then 100 feet and 40 Kts ... Bend that pole my Son :ok:

Evalu8ter
20th Sep 2013, 19:20
Aug 15th 1988, PA38, G-BNKH at Goodwood. First military solo in the venerable Bulldog (XX535) at Abingdon 21 May 1990. First RW solo, Ternhill, as Helmut needed a cigarette so he let we whip a Gazelle around the pattern for a bit.....

Many years later I turned up at low level at GWC to find old -KH in the circuit so followed her round in a Chinook.......nice feeling to complete the circle...

JEM60
20th Sep 2013, 20:01
Yep, Kirby Cadet Mk111 for me also, Raf Halton ' many, many years ago. I will never forget it. Bl...y winch failed at 400 feet. Classic 'S' turn to deal with it. Felt like a blooming hero!!!. Went on to become Staff Cadet there, 613 GS.
Didn't always fly so well...........:)

ex-fast-jets
20th Sep 2013, 20:55
As with others, many "first" solo's...............

First in a Cessna 172 at Carlilse at the age of 17 yrs and 1 month - thanks to an RAF Flying Scholarship.

Sundry others through RAF training.................

But the first really memorable - I am in full agreement with Wholigan on this - Hunter F6 at Chivenor - first single seater - no ghost empty seats alongside or behind - and a lovely noise when full power selected at take-off. I will always remember that trip.

Second memorable - and certainly the most frightening - first trap and cat on a USN Carrier - no previous dual experience!

Third - first solo in an F-16 - surely the ultimate gee-whiz fun machine!

And then - after retirement - my first solo cross-country in a glider - ASW20 for my Silver distance. No Rolls Royce assistance to help when all is going to cr@p around you, and you just want to stay high enough to get to where you want to go!!

All good fun, and no end to the opportunities available whatever flying one does!! :)

Herod
20th Sep 2013, 21:04
JP3 at Wymeswold 1965, aged 18 and a bit. Too busy during the take-off to think about it, but then realised the RHS was empty; it was all down to me. I must have done something right, because my last flight was in a B737 just before I turned 58.

SpazSinbad
20th Sep 2013, 22:26
'BomberH' mentioned first cat/trap. Not having carrier capable training aircraft and only one carrier, often in extended refit, new RAN FAA pilots (trained by the RAAF) had their first cat/trap in an A4G after Operational Flying School in same. [In the mid 1960s - for a year or so - as the RAN FAA was reconstituted for fixed wing again some new pilots were trained in the USofA so they were able to carrier qualify initially in T-28C Trojans before often going to helo school there and then back in Oz to Wessex and beyond (Iroquois in Vietnam).] Not forgetting that the first S-2 Tracker pilots/aircrew were trained in US/Canada so they had their first carrier ops there also. Anyway....

I was lucky enough to be able to do four hook up touch and goes aboard HMS Eagle a few weeks before doing my first arrest and catapult aboard HMAS Melbourne in an A4G. Luckily the aircraft was on 'autopilot' after that amazingly violent arrest (nothing like a short field arrest). Being completely flummoxed after that the aircraft somehow taxied onto the catapult to be fired down that 100-105 foot track quick smart [in under two seconds at about 5.5-6G av.]. Bloody Hell. That punch in the chest with a closed fist sensation was literally breathtaking. Nothing can prepare one for either sensation. FlyCo then sent me ashore to allow me to take it all in. What an amazing experience. :}

SpazSinbad
21st Sep 2013, 02:57
Pete Clark talks about his first arrest and catapult in an A4G Skyhawk even though earlier he had CarQualled in the USN in the T-28C, having done basic training with the USN etc. before going to Vietnam with the RANHFV (hence reference to being 'shot at').

Clark A4G Skyhawk 1st Arrest & Catapult HMAS Melbourne - YouTube

SpazSinbad
21st Sep 2013, 03:03
Old video is called 'Down to the Wire' shows USN pilots carrier qualifying with T-2C Buckeyes:

DOWN TO THE WIRE PART 1, 2 & 3 - US NAVY 8066

Part 1: DOWN TO THE WIRE Part 1 - US NAVY 8066 - YouTube

Part 2: DOWN TO THE WIRE PART 2 - US NAVY 8066 - YouTube

Part 3: DOWN TO THE WIRE PART 3 - US Navy 8066 - YouTube

[T-45C Students talk/demo first Arrest/Cats] Angle of Attack - Excerpt 1
"A dual romance -- with the Navy's fighter planes and with camera gear that seemed almost as exciting and as hard to operate: the Canon 5D."
Angle of Attack - Excerpt 1 on Vimeo

Aileron Roll
21st Sep 2013, 03:45
In ZK FLH from NZPP in 1988. Managed to see a Sea Fury shortly after my take off, it was parked on the MOT (then Associated Aviation, I think now Helipro) apron!

RetiredF4
21st Sep 2013, 07:46
First solo at all on a Piaggo P149 D in 1974. It was nice to be finally alone in the aircraft and not being distracted by the know all best IP. To be fair, i didn't like flying this aircraft at all, but i never liked flying prop driven aircraft anyway.
First solo jet was spring 1976 at Sheppard AFB with the T-37. again it was very satisfying having achieved another goal. The limited power and performance of the "4000 lbs dogwhistle" however was annoying.
The first solo on a supersonic jet i was enjoying most, again at Sheppard AFB summer 1976 on the "white beauty" T-38 Talon. Now i felt like a real jet pilot and i remember that day with joy and pride. I made that flight as long as possible, saved fuel wherever there was a chance to do and landed only when all legal fuel was used. Same for the first night solo on the T-38 some weeks later, i did extensive areawork, lot of patterns to touch and go and had the longest flight from the whole course.
Great times and good to remember.

The Old Fat One
21st Sep 2013, 08:00
Blimey, flicking through this thread one realises just how old the readership of this forum is!

Why? The ACPS (where many, many future RAF pilots will conduct their first solo) has been at Tayside, Dundee for quite a good few years and not one mention.

Not being of the two-winged master race, never been solo, but got to watch 400-500 first solos during my 3 year spell at the above establishment and it was tremendous joy to watch their faces as they walked in....for many a real lifetime event.

On another note, my best friend in his mid 50's, with zero aviation background, just went solo in a microlight and got his NPPL. So there is time for me yet (just kidding, I know my place).

How about my first unsupervised honkers stew? Does that count?

Speed Twelve
21st Sep 2013, 08:05
Grob Viking at 661 VGS Kirknewton in 1985. Sat with the canopy open afterwards waiting on the retrieve when the Boss turned up in a Landie and asked if I wanted to stay on as a Staff Cadet. "Err, OK Sir!"

1st powered was in the mighty C152 at Dundee on a RAF Flying scholarship. Course mate chucked the aircraft off the side of the runway on his solo the next day. Ended-up poacher turned gamekeeper later on when I returned as an FS instructor at Tayside.

Didn't get to fly the JP or Tucano as I managed to cock-up my (short) RAF career!

Yeeeeears later the first time I landed a corporate jet, albeit as a co-pilot, was as satisfying as anything I'd done.

Melchett01
21st Sep 2013, 14:01
I remember it well: 2 Jun 95 in the mighty Bulldog (XX699) at RAF Cosford on Rway 24. And I say mighty as it had to be built like a tank to cope with my somewhat agricultural technique.

Not sure who was more surprised, me or the instructor, Mike Sxxxxxxg, who put his faith in my ability not to bend the aircraft as looking at my log book just about the only thing I was consistent at was being inconsistent.

Now I spend more time than I would ever care or dreampt I would do flying a desk in round after round of staff jobs. But on the really rubbish days, I still find my mind drifting back to that afternoon and smiling. Surprised there aren't more Bulldog first solos on here so far - maybe TOFO is right and I am actually a mere spring chicken.

Canadian Break
21st Sep 2013, 14:09
Linton on Snooze, Oct 80. Bob J climbs out and says "off you go then"! Who? Me? You just never forget that sort of thing. :ok:

TEEEJ
21st Sep 2013, 16:47
Great thread. I went solo on Kirby Cadet Mk III, serial WT906, 26th October 1980 at Kirknewton. I remember it like it was yesterday. Happy days! I joined the RAF in 1985 but colour deficiency stopped any possibility of a military flying career.

21st Sep 2013, 17:45
Herts & Essex Aero Club, Stapleford Tawney, 17 July 1965, Forney F1A Aircoupe. Sent solo by the CFI Neville Browning. He was a local farmer and when you did a PFL you landed in the field; he owned the field. Remember him climbing out, scrambling through the hedge to check how his crops in the next field were coming on towards harvest, climbing back in and off we went from pointing into the corner of the field and accelerating, (a relative term in an Aircoupe), in a 180 turn to head off diagonally across the field for take off.
He flew displays his own Zlin. His speciality was a very low inverted pass but unfortunately, at the age of 72 I think, hit the top of the tail on the runway doing this and was killed.
Rumour was that he'd flown Camels at the end of WW1.

Cranwell, 26 April 1966, JP3 Most of the QFIs were ex 90 sqn, after the sudden demise of the Valiants, still sporting their XC arm flashes.
Thanks to all the QFIs who had to work so hard to get me through.
If they knew it had resulted in 46 years/ 26,000hrs I hope they might think it was worth it!
In that time I've put a bit back in the tank by sending others off on their first solo.

Background Noise
21st Sep 2013, 22:07
A sunny day in Texas, dual to solo in a T3 - a 20 minuter rather than the single circuit. We all got thrown in the tank afterwards (a big paddling pool) and as luck would have it it was on a Friday so it was off to the O Club. Next best trip was the first go in an aircraft with only one seat.

Herod
22nd Sep 2013, 20:26
That's just given me a thought: I've never flown a single-seat aircraft. :{:{

Teamchief
22nd Sep 2013, 20:41
Yup, Kirby Cadet Mk 3 also. Old Sarum 1976, 3 minutes of fun, fear and keeping the nose down. Third solo.........broke the skid off!!!

thing
22nd Sep 2013, 20:43
That's just given me a thought: I've never flown a single-seat aircraft.

Ah, you must do so. As already said, it feels slightly different. Don't know why really. Probably the thought that the only people who have ever flown it before have been pilots.

wub
22nd Sep 2013, 21:14
After learning to glide in T-21s, K-13s and Blaniks, my first solo was in a Slingsby Prefect - a single seater. This has just struck me as odd having read this thread, because I solo'ed in a type I hadn't flown before.

It was only years later, when I flew a T-21 solo in Cyprus, that I had my first experience of 'the empty seat'

Trim Stab
22nd Sep 2013, 21:45
My first solo in a powered aircraft was in a Bulldog at Marshall's in 1982. I remember it principally because my instructor (Flt Lt Vin Nadin - who some on here might well remember for various reasons!) never gave any indication that I was close to solo until, after a few dual circuits, he abruptly jumped out at the holding point for 24 with the only parting advice - "it'll climb a bit faster than me - just make sure you taxi back here to pick me up after your first landing". I set off too surprised to have any nerves, and flew my wobbly circuit, landed, and taxied back to the holding point to pick him up. Vin, of course, didn't last the five minutes or so for my circuit without lighting up his pipe, and as I was taxying back to pick him up he was tapping it out on the heel of his flying boot. I opened the canopy to let him in as he slipped his pipe back into its place in the top pocket of his grow-bag.

As we taxied back he was debriefing me with his usual begrudging praise when suddenly he slammed his feet on the toe-brakes, shouted "STTOPPP", threw back the canopy of the Bulldog, unbuckled and bailed out over the starboard wing.

Somewhat bewildered, and thinking this was some hidden agenda on the "first solo test" I carried on taxying, leaving Vin writhing around on the airfield grass behind me doing somersaults and frantically beating his chest. I'd only taxied ten metres or so when he stood up, ran back, jumped back on the wing and climbed back in. Without saying a word more, we taxied back to the ops room for the debrief.

It wasn't until a few days later that I learnt that he hadn't fully extinguished his pipe before putting it back in the top pocket of his grow-bag, and that these were not as fire-proof against hot tobacco ash as one might suppose....

Duchess_Driver
22nd Sep 2013, 22:22
Another ATC (VGS) first, Sedbarge from RAF Catterick April '83.

152, Wycombe, May '99.

First first solo sent in a 152, Sep 07.

Still get more of a buzz from sending someone off for the first time than I think I did from my own first. Again, memory from 30 years ago not perhaps as clear as it once was.

smujsmith
22nd Sep 2013, 22:28
ASK21 at RAF Bicester, RAFGSA centre on a Joint Services Gliding Course. It was an aero tow behind a Pawnee and I was scared to death all the way up, and all the way down. Having landed, I was so pleased that having been hooked up for a second "go", I even managed a 20 minute float about. Absolutely magic.

Smudge :ok:

Trim Stab
22nd Sep 2013, 22:35
My first solo in an unpowered aircraft was in a Vasama PIK16 glider, which was also a single seater. Nothing beats a first solo in a single-seater!

It was also the first and hopefully only time I will ever land wheels-up. There is only a single retractable wheel on the PIK16, and it was on lush grass on Argentine Pampas - so no harm done.

thing
22nd Sep 2013, 22:50
ASK21 at RAF Bicester, RAFGSA centre on a Joint Services Gliding Course. It was an aero tow behind a Pawnee

When was that Smuj? I was there on a week's jolly in '91 and I can't remember the name of the CFI now. It was a Sgt somebody. I remember floating around in a bit of wave watching the C5's going into Upper Heyford looking for all the world like a block of flats with wings.

By the way if you there around that time there's a good chance that one Cpl Pete Stratton was your tug pilot. Pete is now CEOof the BGA!

SpazSinbad
23rd Sep 2013, 00:22
'Trim Stab' you had me cackling here with that {instructor pipe} story. :} WheelsUp? Bin Dere Done Dat.

Dominator2
23rd Sep 2013, 08:38
Very first solo was in a Slingsby Grasshopper with the CCF in 1966. Very short flight, about 100yds.
After that, my first real solo was on a Flying Scholarship at Shoreham in a C150. Arrived on Monday morning for some admin and ground school. Started flying that afternoon. Went solo on the Wednesday early evening after two and a half days and 5hrs 20 mins. Great July in 1971, 35 hours flying in 3 weeks and a PPL at the end. Continuity was the secret to success.
Best ever first solo was in the Hunter F6. Nothing will ever better the fantastic memory of power and freedom.

DeepestSouth
23rd Sep 2013, 09:13
First solo - Blanik, Bicester 1973 - tug pilot decided to do some fairly steep turns and I ended up so far off station that I couldn't recover and pulled the plug on it at 1200ft. On landing, A*** G**** had apparently 'spoken to' the tug pilot (who was actually a mate, so no hard feelings!) and we were sent off to do another 2! What I remember most was the metallic sound of the empty rear seat harness clicking and banging - never heard that sound before and I can still hear it. Best after that was first solo in single seater - K8 and then in a motorglider some months later. First 'proper' powered solo next year was a bit of an anti-climax - but the cross-country wasn't!

DS

blaireau
23rd Sep 2013, 13:58
1st 1st solo. C150 G-ARAB at Sandown IOW 12th April 1963. Instructor was Vernon Bernard.
1st solo JP3 XM412 Wymeswold, 8th Feb 1965. Instructor F/O Jim Hawkins
1st solo Gnat XR995 Valley 14th Jan 1965. Instructor F/L Alex Bannerman
1st solo Hunter6 XJ713 Chivenor 19th March 1969. Instructor F/L Dave Ozanne
1st solo Phantom XT910 Coningsby 6th April 1971. Instructor F/L Mike Flynn

Thereafter various Boeings and Airbuses paled into insignificance. The Cessna was a thrill just after my 17th birthday, but the Gnat was really exhilarating after the Provost. 550kts around the island!

smujsmith
25th Sep 2013, 21:10
Thing #68,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been looking for my log book. Having found it I can also correct my original recollection of my First solo. It took place on 24 October 1985, at RAFGSA centre Bicester. The aircraft was a Grob 103 (EGN) I believe, and I was sent solo by a chap called Simon Ludlow, who was a trainee pilot at Cranwell at the time himself. The flight lasted 6 minutes, was followed by a 20 minute flight and then the bar. Pete Stratton (Strats) is well known to me, as he was the deputy CFI at Four Counties at Syerston in 1987 when I enjoyed many cross countries as his "back seater" in the Janus B, including an unplanned landing at Spitalgate, to the amusement of the green jobs on exercise at the time. I managed to achieve a full Silver C (No 7579) in my few years gliding, and made many good friends.

Smudge

thing
25th Sep 2013, 22:16
Just dug out my old logbook, you beat me to the silver by a bit! Silver C 10805, gliding certificate 95517. Was at Bicester Nov 1991. Can't remember how we swung it now, I think we went under 'adventurous training' or some such wheeze. It wasn't an official course, just a fill yer boots week of flying. In fact I think most of our mob were civvies.

smujsmith
25th Sep 2013, 22:36
Thing,

Yep My Gliding Certificate is No 87198. The "courses" at the "Centre" were supposedly Joint Service Adventure Training Glider Courses (JSATG). The course I did, when I went solo was one of 12 students, 3 RAF, 3 Army and 6 RN/RM. After only one trip all 6 RN lads decided they had had enough adventure and wanted no more. That left six of us with a similar number of aircraft and instructors. We slept in a hangar annexe on standard beds. What a week. I found later that as a SNCO Airframe tradesman, I could be quite useful to the Centre so could usually get a week down there to do some servicing for them. A mornings work was often rewarded with an afternoons free flying. Great place, great people.

Smudge:ok:

thing
25th Sep 2013, 22:45
I remember walking through the hangar doors for the first time and seeing their fleet, I was like a kid on Christmas morning...I think we all just stood there for a bit trying to let it all sink in. Lots of under the breath 'K'inells' heard.

1.3VStall
26th Sep 2013, 07:12
Another one for the Kirkby Cadet MkIII! May 1966 at RAF Spitalgate - anyone remember that?

First power solo at Cranfield in a Beagle Pup.:)

GGR155
26th Sep 2013, 07:35
K4 RAF Upavon May 1971 then T21, K13

Beagle Pup G-AXCX Hawarden June 77 thanks to Martin Sibson, still mates today.

GGR

Hamish 123
26th Sep 2013, 15:18
JP3 Church Fenton, Aug (or Sep?) '83.

Right leg shook like mad all the way round the circuit, height all over the place on the downwind leg, still managed to pull off one of my better landings. Then forgot to put the pins back in the ejector seat. Airman about to unstrap me wasn't impressed . . .

OM that night, seem to remember having to drink 3 pints in a oner out of a bucket or something by way of celebration.

lederhosen
26th Sep 2013, 18:55
My first solo was on the OUGC K7 at Bicester, followed by an instructor course and a silver c conversion on a Rollason Condor all in 1979. Being sent solo at the end of day 2 of the power conversion and being quite confident indicated to me that the RAFGSA were doing something right.

Buster11
26th Sep 2013, 20:14
Looks as if the Kirby Cadet III has a lot to answer for, in my case a first solo at HCGIS Detling in 1952, followed by a C course the next year with D***k P****tt as one of the instructors. First power solo at Redhill on April 24th 1953 in a Magister (complete with Gosport tubes), followed by first Tiger Moth solo, June 24th, 1954 at Croydon (of blessed memory), where a few years earlier I’d cycled to the spectators’ enclosure to watch Lancastrians, impressed BEA Ju. 52/3Ms, Ansons, Consuls and Rapides, when Croydon saw almost all of London's air traffic. Radio?? What's one of them...?

smujsmith
26th Sep 2013, 21:36
As an aside from the "first solo" intent of the thread. The finest gliding machine I ever had the honour to pilot was the ASK18 (R36) operated by Four Counties Gliding Club, during my time of membership there. No plastic, no T tail, it went up on a "budgie fart" and loitered for a long time. Many happy hours spent in that particular beast. Anyone else have the pleasure ?

Sorry to diverge, back on topic chaps.

wub
27th Sep 2013, 10:41
Smuj: I used to fly this example at Bannerdown GC, at Colerne and then Hullavington.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/wub_01/k-18_zps14378b4d.jpg

Steve the Pirate
27th Sep 2013, 13:04
Another first solo for the Kirby Cadet Mk III at Tern Hill as a 16 year-old (I think) CCF cadet - bloody brilliant!

First powered solo was in a Cessna 150 at Perth, Scone on a Flying Scholarship as a just 18 year-old CCF cadet.

First jet solo (no Chipmunks for me in the service sadly) was in a JP3 at Church Fenton when it was an RLG for Linton.

First single seat solo was in a Hunter F6 at Valley.

Most memorable? The first ever at Tern Hill and then the first solo on the course in a light weight Harrier GR3 - the contrast couldn't have been more marked!

Happy memories...

STP

CoffmanStarter
27th Sep 2013, 16:18
Well ... as so many of us experienced the thrills of the Kirby Cadet Mk3 in our youth ... I thought it quite wrong not to share with the non-cognoscente the delights of the cockpit :ok:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/46347a14-d49d-44c9-bfe8-c7a7f2d3ac0f_zpsa68f7cc7.jpg

So, like the Typhoon, full Air Conditioning in both the Front and Rear cockpits. An adequacy of instrumentation ... including the boot lace tied to the pitot tube. A rubber grip off a lawnmower for extra grip on the stick. Helpful colour coding also featured ... Yellow Cable Release toggle and Red Spoiler lever ...

Not forgetting the good old CBSITCB Check List placard ... along with the W&B Chart on the cockpit wall (remember the weights that could be attached to the base of the tail fin and secured with an ejection seat type pin).

Al R
27th Sep 2013, 18:35
The Kirby certainly has a lot to answer for. A MoD contract that has provided more return of capital/value for money than any other maybe? What is used now, surely they're still not in service. Talking of Hullavington, I remember the station padre dying in a crash there towards the end of the 80s.

27th Sep 2013, 19:09
Currently the Air Cadets use Grob 103's (Vikings) on winch launch squadrons and Grob 109's (Vigilants) on motor glider squadrons.

...Grob103 was my first solo at RAF Syerston....and finished my flying as OC a VGS, so I must have enjoyed some of it! :)

CoffmanStarter
27th Sep 2013, 19:33
622 ... So when did the Slingsby Venture get phased out ...

27th Sep 2013, 20:06
I can't remember exactly, but I would guess early 90's

CoffmanStarter
27th Sep 2013, 20:19
They didn't last long then !

Warmtoast
28th Sep 2013, 17:33
My first solo was in 1952 at 5 FTS, R.A.F. Thornhill (Rhodesia) whilst a member of the R.A.F. Thornhill Gliding Club.

The R.A.F. Thornhill Gliding Club was formed with the object of bringing glider flying to hose stationed at R.A.F. Thornhill. Two second hand gliders a “Tutor” and a “Primary” were bought from the Rand Flying Club, Johannesburg, and these eventually arrived at Thornhill in 1951. They were assembled, and successfully test flown in March 1952. The club was then in business. The PSI/Station supported the club by allocating a 15cwt truck for glider towing duties, but otherwise the club was self-supporting with funds raised from members. The club had a joining fee of £1 and a monthly subscription of 10/- (50p). There was a further charge of 1/- (5p) for each launch.

Gliders were launched by being towed across the airfield by the truck, using a towing cable of steel wire, up to five hundred yards long. With this method, it was possible to launch the gliders to heights of over a thousand feet.

In the first stage the “Primary” was used and the towing speed kept too low for it to become airborne, but as the pupil became familiar with the controls as it “slid” across the airfield he would after a very short time find himself flying across the airfield, in full control, first at only a few feel, then at greater heights as he gains experience and learns to control the glider in turns. Promotion to the “Tutor” followed with further training in easy stages, leading up to the red-letter day when he soars successfully.
Looking back in 1952 the “Primary,” was probably the most elementary form of flying machine still flying; I’m sure the Wright Brothers would feel very much at home flying it!

I joined the Club in late 1952 and my first ‘flights’ in the “Primary” were hair-raisingly scary. There was no two-seat version so initial “flights” took place as one was tugged along the ground at 30-40 mph, having been told to keep the stick forward to keep glider on the ground and wings level with the ailerons and use the rudder to follow the towing truck. With only a couple of inches between the seat bottom of the “Primary” and the baked-hard Rhodesian airfield surface, avoiding bumps on the ground, including nascent ant-hills (and there were many) was as much as part of learning to fly a glider as actually getting off the ground. With no instructor alongside to get you out of trouble it was all a bit scary, but one could rely on the duty instructor yelling into a megaphone to shout instructions from the ground!

With eighty or so aircraft on the airfield we regularly ‘acquired’ petrol for the tow trucks by draining a little from an Anson or a Harvard or two! High octane aviation spirit and low-compression vehicle engines which in Rhodesia in 1952 would probably run on fermented porridge juice just don’t mix, with the result that the high-octane aviation spirit played havoc with the low-compression engines of the towing trucks; burnt valve seats etc caused lots of un-serviceability. Luckily two Gliding Club members worked in the MT Section and repairs were usually quickly resolved.

Later as one progressed to short hops things improved and even more so when the instructors allowed flights up to a couple of hundred feet or so: cast off and then do a series of ‘S’-turns, real flying at last, but still very primitive, no ASI, just a piece of string or a ribbon on the spar in front of one’s eyes, as long as it was fluttering in the slip-stream one was OK, however when it stopped fluttering it was time to put the nose down. Unforgettable, but sadly in my case I never did get to fly the ‘Tutor’ as the Rhodesian Air Training Group started to close down shortly afterwards and the Club assets were sold-off. But it was all good fun with fond memories.

Here’s what I looked like in one of my first flights.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/PrimaryGlider-Airborne_zps056a0359.jpg

The “Primary” looked very much like an EoN Primary Glider, but the one at Thornhill had a spar in front of one’s eyes unlike the one shown in the YouTube video.

A search on Google shows a very similar glider in action here: Elliots EoN Primary Glider - YouTube

smujsmith
28th Sep 2013, 19:11
wub#36,

Smashing shot mate, that is exactly the beauty I spent many happy hours flying. I always felt lucky to be able to avoid flying the "plastic" stuff. I don't wish to insinuate any deviancy whatever, but that is a real sexy aircraft.

Geehovah
28th Sep 2013, 20:36
Can't match warmtoast.

My first solo was in a T21 glider round the circuit at Linton. My first real solo was in this T62b Condor tail dragger on 17 Jul 72 at Doncaster Aero Club. After 6 hrs 50 my flying instructor climbed out and said, "If I leave you on your own will you do any better?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/DeeGee/Aircraft/252517_364366313639019_413623188_n_zps12cf24cf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DeeGee/media/Aircraft/252517_364366313639019_413623188_n_zps12cf24cf.jpg.html)

The next time I was alone in an aeroplane was in 2009!

WE992
28th Sep 2013, 21:11
k13 glider at Bruggen in January 1978. Chipmunk 2011. And not to be out done by all you Cadet Mk111 people I flew my Mk111 at Hullavington today.
Slingsby T.31B Cadet TX3, BGA4933, Al Stacey (http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1056785/)

smujsmith
28th Sep 2013, 22:14
WE 992,

Good to see the Hullavington mob are getting some new kit. They've always been the last to upgrade in the RSFGSA clubs ;-}

MAINJAFAD
28th Sep 2013, 22:39
First Solo, Scratch another one for the Mk III, WT917, 614VGS, RAF Wethersfield 14/08/83 (first week long course by the school after the move from Carver Barracks (former RAF Debden)). 11,000 foot runway with a 1000 ft of gravel overshoot and after a poor launch with only 600 ft off the cable, I ended up in the gravel after a very short circuit. Got my wings presented by the base commander (USAF Col).

First single seater. ASK18 (R39) around the same era as Smudge (if memory serves you were at Waddo at the time on a later cancelled AEW project). Even have a photo of it (abet from a very dust covered slide) and one taken from the cockpit of it in flight of the A46 and part of the airfield.

http://104.imagebam.com/download/66oKcJ3coCw4B3o8PotMew/27867/278669632/r36.jpg

http://thumbnails106.imagebam.com/27867/5fc456278669627.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/5fc456278669627)

Bill4a
29th Sep 2013, 12:25
First solo Cessna 150 G-BAVC from Biggin Hill Aero Club July 73, my instructor Mick R said "Off you go, don't bloody break it I don't think it's insured!" I've never been more scared in my life, apart from meeting my fiancee's father that is, and I didn't stop shaking for what felt like an hour!!
First cross country Biggin to Elvedon being asked to expedite the approach!
My one regret is not being able to keep my licence! :mad: thank you dicky ticker!

longer ron
29th Sep 2013, 15:40
Not forgetting the good old CBSITCB Check List placard

You must be a relatively young man coff :)

It was CISTRS when I went solo at Spitalgate in 1969 :)

CoffmanStarter
29th Sep 2013, 16:46
Hi Ron ... Fun times ... 1969 I was still in primary school getting excited about the NASA Apollo Moon shot ... :ok:

CoffmanStarter
29th Sep 2013, 19:17
I had a bit of a dig ... came across this link that lists the Kirby Cadet Mk3 production line ... I'll bet that will prompt a few look ups :ok:

Kirby Cadet Mk3 (http://www.rcawsey.co.uk/t31.htm)

I hadn't appreciated that some had been motorised :eek:

http://www.rcawsey.co.uk/g-bshm.jpg

smujsmith
29th Sep 2013, 20:41
MAINJAFAD #96

That is indeed Four Counties Queen of the skies, now you have me wondering. Indeed I was blighted with service on AEW 3, which allowed me lots of time to service gliders for 4Cs. Whoever you are, thanks for the photograph and the memories. Great times were had.

PS, drop me a PM, I can't work out anything from your "moniker".

MAINJAFAD
30th Sep 2013, 01:44
That is indeed Four Counties Queen of the skies, now you have me wondering. Indeed I was blighted with service on AEW 3, which allowed me lots of time to service gliders for 4Cs. Whoever you are, thanks for the photograph and the memories. Great times were had.

Smudgehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Smudge, I started flying at 4Cs in mid Aug 86 while at Newton on the Bloodhound Mk2 Missile course (originally TG3 L Tech AD by trade, hence the JAFAD in my user name) and was one of the three West Raynham guys who flew at Syerston until the two who could drive were posted to RAFG / PVR'ed to become a God botherer. I moved across to Fenland after April 87 for a few months and was on the verge of getting Bronze C when a number of factors including a long illness forced me to give up. After that 90% of the postings (normally nowhere anywhere near a RAFGSA club) or AD site shift patterns (2 days, 2 nights, 4 off), normally in conjunction with the posting at the extreme points of the compass made getting back into the sport and keeping current a non starter.

Well off Topic

A few 4C's memories

Worst Landing ever: R36 on the first flight on the morning after the 86 AGM and the first introduction to Wobbly via some members of the most eastern club in RAFG. After bouncing almost all the way to the winch and after towing the aircraft back to the launch point was met by the duty instructor shaking his head with the comment, "Sorry mate, I'm going to have to ground you for that".

JLR water ballast bombing the bus on the flight that finally got him his Gold.

Mixed Naked Conga Team

Monster hunched up in the back of the K7

Kelly Dog.....ROGER!!!

Happy days indeed :D

A few more photos (mostly taken off damaged slides after a water leak in the loft where they photos were stored) or taken on a 10p Russian camera I brought at a jumble sale in 1979 (the 1983 ones)

Drags and R57 (funniest thing I saw with that one was the expression on the face of a guy who forgot that the U in WULF actually needed an action by the pilot in that aircraft after he found the cockpit was a lot lower to the ground than it should have been following a much faster and bumpy halt than normal).

http://108.imagebam.com/download/64CQC53AecdB3--eM9VVcg/27886/278854123/Syerston%204CGC%20R57%20Apr%2087.jpg

The Janus (R9) only flew in her once when the weather was too windy for me to fly solo in anything. Got to learn about windshear on the approch though, plus did the fastest speed in any glider that I ever flew in.

http://103.imagebam.com/download/GdFjG_KPS_EM6_6pc1uHbg/27867/278669631/r9.jpg

One of the Mk III’s at Wethersfield taken in mid-82 during the USAF open house (with two 16 year old PPruners (Myself and Aber Ratman) either side of the cockpit). It may have been the one I did my first solo in (WT917) which would you believe is the one with the motor on it that Coff has posted a photo of or one of the other two aircraft I flew on that course (WT913 and WE790).

http://103.imagebam.com/download/OYV3vgOdVPz5ahqtufQzzw/27886/278854117/Kadet%20Mk%20III%20Wethersfield%2082.jpg

My first experience of Syerston wasn’t with 4C’s, but a week course at ACCGS in March 83. As the photos show the weather was awful and we only got one days flying in the whole 5 days. The Venture is either XZ552 or ZX555 (I think it’s 555 as that was the one I flew in). Somebody may have the Barge in their logbook. (I only ever flew in two, WB899 and XW150 at Debden).

http://101.imagebam.com/download/3XhBv-ZaP3czLhtaIhUE1w/27886/278854109/Syerston%20Venture%20T1%20March%2083.jpg

http://107.imagebam.com/download/IxjUAxjSKNEmVm8fDoHbzw/27886/278854126/Syerston%20T21%20march%2083.jpg

Never took any photos of the rest of the 4C's fleet at the time (The Grob 103B (2nd solo, three years after the first), The K7 (First ever spin entry and recovery :eek:) or the Ventus (R15???).

smujsmith
30th Sep 2013, 19:57
MAINJAFAD,

Brilliant, now;

"Drags and R57 (funniest thing I saw with that one was the expression on the face of guy who forgot that the U in WULF actually needed an action by the pilot in that aircraft after he found the cockpit was a lot lower to the ground that it should have been when he came to a much faster and bumpy halt than normal)."

Your amusement might have been at my expense. I wheeled up R57 on my first flight in it. As I always said afterward, I preferred R36, gear welded down, no mistakes, but the "wheels up" with the Astir was exactly as you described it. I knew I was in the poop when the only person to walk to the aircraft to assist was Ben Benniston, the CFI. Back on thread then chaps, and apologies.

Smudge :ok:

dabtoe
15th Apr 2018, 10:32
My first solo was at Doncaster Flying Club . Aircraft GBFFE on the 18.08.1989 , instructor Barry Thompson aka top gun . After a quick circuit check we landed , taxied to the threshold , Bazzo said , " stop her here " , he then took off his DC`s put them on his now empty seat and said , " your ready , have fun and dont destroy my expensive headset " . The next fifteen minutes , Doncaster had a large circuit for a grass strip , was a mixture of sheer exitement and horror . One of those very special days akin to your passing out parade and joining the fleet .

skua
16th Apr 2018, 11:50
Mine too was at South Yorks Flying Club at Donnie. April 1971, left alone in a Condor (on a Flying Schol) by Jim Watson, retd Sqn Ldr (Vampires I recall). He piled in when he or his student hit the glider cable a couple of years later....

Jamieone
16th Apr 2018, 12:52
Grob Tutor, Church Fenton almost 25 years to the day after my godfather (Jag and Tornado Pilot) on the same airfield but in a JP!

Fly26
16th Apr 2018, 13:58
Yes I can still clearly see my instructor getting out of the Vigilant motor glider. It was 2003 up at RAF Syston with the VGS unit as a young cadet like many on here...best place to start! I remember my stomach dropping as the instructor flung the canopy open...hopped out down the wing, closed the canopy and gave it a whack and thumb up before walking off into the distance......
I can’t remember getting the thing airborne but I certainly remember it being light and reaching circuit height way before downwind, an unexpected curve ball for a young cadet! But the peace of and quite of solo flight will never be forgotten....all I remember on the landing was the cones whizzing past and a thud....so I did something right. 7000 hours later and still the best job I could wish for :ok:

hoodie
16th Apr 2018, 14:20
Oh no! Was the cone OK? :8

Cat Funt
16th Apr 2018, 15:23
August 1991, at the age of 17 in a Viking glider at a VGS. ZE682

Best way to go about it, I think. The winch launch got you up to 1000ft so fast (about 20seconds), you didn't really have time to think about what you were up to until you pulled the release and trimmed out (with the trim in an odd position). Then you think to yourself "Great! Now I just have to get back down..." :ooh:

There are two types of people on their first solo circuit: talkers and singers.

First solo with a donk: C-152 G-BHRM at Wellesbourne Mountford on a Flying Scholarship. We were each assigned an aircraft for the course, that one was mine. RM used to terrify other studes if they were detailed to fly a solo sortie in it, because it had larger fuel tanks (6hrs vs 4) and taking off with 50% more fuel had the effect of the frangible fence looming much larger in their windscreen than they were used to.:E Cheers, Rodney!

Fly26
17th Apr 2018, 03:01
Oh no! Was the cone OK? :8

They could use it again! Just....

It's Not Working
17th Apr 2018, 08:34
There are two types of people on their first solo circuit: talkers and singers.

I was a singer, 'The Windmills of your Mind' from The Thomas Crown Affair when I soloed at the Two Rivers Gliding Club at Laarbruch in 74/75. Sang the same song when I soloed a microlight at Halton a couple of decades later. Prior to those memorable occasions I soloed a parachute at Neatheravon when I was definitely a talker, just one word, 'f...' and repeated throughout the drop. As the world got nearer to my feet it changed to 'Oh f...'

Arclite01
17th Apr 2018, 12:26
I was also a singer 'Going Underground' by the Jam. No idea why.

1st solo - Venture RAF Syerston September 1981. Thank you Flt Lt Tapson............

Arc

P.S. I also swore lots on my first parachute jump..............'and feet together...':)

Algy
17th Apr 2018, 14:52
Summer of 1976 Kirby Cadet, West Malling, strukkie Brian Edmondson.

Summer of 1977, PA-28, White Waltham, strukkie John Hilton

Summer of 1980, JP5A, Barkston Heath, strukkie Ted Hudson

The only thing I remember is Ted Hudson's celebratory snap-roll at about 100ft after take-off on the way home to Cranwell.

Anyone know where any of those guys are, out of curiosity? All pre-web and seem not to have left a trace. Every one of them a gentleman (of a distinctive kind in JH's case, but still a gentleman.)

Arclite01
17th Apr 2018, 16:30
Edmondson was at WM when I was a staff cadet there. I think his nickname was 'Mr Mann' (no idea why).

If I remember rightly he worked for Digital (a company long since subsumed into the company HP and its associates).

He was still flying at WM in the mid 80's when I moved on.

Arc

MostlyHarmless
17th Apr 2018, 18:48
Got a horrible recollection of being told that Ted Hudson died a few years back. Be delighted for someone to tell me I'm talking arse...

RetiredBA/BY
17th Apr 2018, 19:12
Can’t remember much about first jet solo, JP 3 at Acklington just after 18th birthday, in 1962, or my glider solo at Catterick in 1960, but first solo on the 767 many years later was different! Almost 300 blissfully ignorant pax behind me, but the REAL pressure was my wife on the flight deck!

THAT is pressure !

Fareastdriver
17th Apr 2018, 20:07
but first solo on the 767 many years later

but the REAL pressure was my wife on the flight deck!

It must have been difficult for her to do a crash course on V1s, V2s, undercarriage and flap operation.

Cazalet33
17th Apr 2018, 23:16
Flying Scholarship in a Cessna.

Took me by surprise. Instructor called the tower to change callsign, saying "first solo" as I was about to shut down after a circuits sortie. The doors of the Fire station opened and men in silver suits clambered aboard one of the fire engines.

Very sprightly take-off in the absence of the QFI, but otherwise didn't think about being alone until I had a bit of time on the downwind leg when his unfamiliarly empty seat looked rather strange.

Made a complete arse of the approach. Too high; too fast and too much power. Struggled manfully to sort it out with 40° flaps, but by 100' I had to admit failure and go around (called "overshooting" in those days).

My 'second' first solo, in the JP, was sweet as a nut. Pure perfection. By then I'd flown 20 or 30 hours solo in the civvie aircraft so the experience of not having a consultant sitting next to me held no fears and I nailed the speed and altitude and glidepath like I knew what I was doing.

My first solo in a JetRanger was illegal as hell, but that was in Iran and the locals simply presumed I was qualified to fly the thing. It was during the Revolution of Flowers when the Shi'ite hit the fan and I flew it like I stole it. Fortunately it's a very easy aircraft to fly and as there was only me and an hour of fuel and a few boxes of documents, the torque and temps weren't a problem. I got what amounted to an MiD from a famous writer for that one.

CISTRS
18th Apr 2018, 04:31
26 June 1960 Kirby Cadet Mk III at RAF Hornchurch.
ATC Gliding Proficiency, A & B solos.

30 June 1975 Fournier RF5 at Biggin Hill.
First Power solo.

SandyW
18th Apr 2018, 05:00
On 17 Aug 57, a month after turning 17, I flew solo in a tiger Moth at Thruxton after 6 hours tuition from scratch. No drama, but will never forget the sheer fun of it. Big thrill soloing the Gnat at Valley! Wow! Far more worry though when age 24, as a RAF JP3/4 QFI at Church Fenton, I was sending young guys solo. Two nearly gave me heart attack!

Wander00
18th Apr 2018, 09:45
All first solos are special, but I do recall the Gnat as very special

goudie
18th Apr 2018, 10:22
Nothing too exotic, just an old T21’barge’ at Bicester in mid 60’s. First of three trips was good. Cable break on second one but high enough to complete a circuit. Completed a wobbly 360 turn on third one. Was given a trip with the late WO Andy Geoff in a Blanik and introduced to aerobatics!
Intended to carry on gliding in Malaysia, (Ipoh) but was told that the woodworm had to hold hands on take-off! Didn’t bother.

MPN11
22nd Apr 2018, 11:03
Glider - 18 Aug 61, No. 1 Gliding Centre, RAF Hawkinge. Kirby Cadet 3, (XA?)251. Three launches for 7m total time and A/B Certificate: i recall flying downwind quite quickly!

Fixed wing - 29 Jul 62, Oxford Aeroplane Club, Kidlington. Piper Colt G-ARKN. Time to solo 5h35m. Group A PPL #62833 awarded 22 Aug 62.

Neither Licence ever used again!! :)

Olympia 463
22nd Apr 2018, 13:35
First solo in a T31 like so many others on here. I was the first ab-initio in a new club to go solo so it was a historic event. Don't remember much about it except the briefing "You'll get a higher launch, so use up the height practising your turns!" We had great ex-ATC instructors, wonderful teachers.

The one I DO remember was my first solo in a glider with a canopy - the club Olympia2b. Claustrophobia big time. I was used to feeling the wind in my face. I had over 50 launches in my log book (in the Tutor) by then so not really a big deal. That was another first for that club. I was scared I'd break the Oly which only the instructors had flown up till then.

When I became an instructor I always used that briefing for a first solo, Must have sent well over 200 folk solo in my time.

X643
3rd Jun 2020, 09:35
Kirby Cadet Mk3, WT911,July 1967, 643 Gliding School, RAF Hemswell, Lincolnshire. The instructor was Eddie Neal who sadly died a few years ago.

gzornenplatz
3rd Jun 2020, 10:47
The late W.O. Andy Gough.

ATSA1
3rd Jun 2020, 14:23
Mk III, 7 May 1977, 618GS West Malling..after pulling the yellow ball at 1300ft, thinking..." I had better get those 270 degree turns right!"

Then later that day, 4 of us newly solo'd cadets drinking an lllegal pint of Carlsberg down town!

MMHendrie1
4th Jun 2020, 11:19
Gliding: 26 Jun 66, RAF Ouston (641 VGS), Kirkby Cadet Mk 3, Instructor Fg Off (?) Kelly, 3 launches, total 8 mins.

Flying Scholarship: Carlisle Airport, Cessna 172 G-ASFA, Instructor Capt White, 10 mins

RAF: 10 Nov 71, RAF Dishforth (3FTS RAF Leeming), Jet Provost Mk 3, Instructor Fg Off Paul Rickard, 5 mins

MostlyHarmless
4th Jun 2020, 21:27
_rises from slumber_

Chipmunk. EFTS. @Swinderby. 92ish? Primary QFI a splendid chap but indulged in the pies in his truckie days and was a bit of a unit. He pops out at the tower, I tootle off and am left about 30 seconds behind the aircraft (not for the last time) due to the unexpected "rocket ship" performance the chippy now displayed.

Still the most memorable first solo - even trumped the one where there were no back seat checks to worry about.

_returns to sleep_

CoodaShooda
4th Jun 2020, 23:19
Not me but -11 May 2011 watching my youngest in a Jabiru 230 perform 3 touch and goes before deciding the instructor might want the aircraft back. :E More memorable for me than my own back in 1976.

He followed up with his first Service solo in a CT4. He decided to keep the speed up in blustery conditions and made it a flapless landing. Copped a bollocking because they hadn't got to flapless landings in the course syllabus at that stage. Duxed the course.

Buster11
5th Jun 2020, 09:28
First glider solo T-31 at HCGIS, Detling in 1952, instructors F/O Meddings and the great Derek Piggott. Then with a Flying Scholarship in a Magister at Redhill, April 24th, 1953, instructors Chinn and Sproxton, followed by a move to Croydon and conversion to Tiger Moths, with PPL issued Aug. 1954.

Arclite01
5th Jun 2020, 09:47
Venture T2 RAF ACCGS Syerston October 1981. Flt Lt Tapson...................

Great fun, game changer, life changer......................alongside the ghosts of the LFS

Solo in an aeroplane before I could drive a car.

Arc

sharpend
6th Jun 2020, 08:52
Having flown gliders as a boy, I actually don't recall my first powered solo, which was in a JP3. In fact I don't recall many first solos. But one that does stick in my mind was in a Hawker Hunter FGA 9. Though I had flown a Jaguar solo by then and thus was not expecting much, I do recall selecting full power on the Hunter's single Avon engine, and then being surprised by the acceleration. So much so that for a moment during the take-off roll, I actually throttle back a tad. How mad is that?

lauriebe
6th Jun 2020, 08:59
Venture T2 RAF ACCGS Syerston October 1981. Flt Lt Tapson...................

Great fun, game changer, life changer......................alongside the ghosts of the LFS

Solo in an aeroplane before I could drive a car.

Arc

Arc,

The name Flt Lt D Tapson appears in my F3822 several times from 626GS, St Eval. This included a solo check and solos in a T31 on 22 April 1962.

I wonder if it was the same Flt Tapson.

kenparry
6th Jun 2020, 09:49
Hawker Hunter GRA 9.

An interesting, perhaps unique, variant. Where did you find that one?

brakedwell
6th Jun 2020, 10:17
WV482 - 2nd March 1956 - Piston Provost first solo - 20 minutes at RAF High Ercall Shropshire, the satellite airfield for RAF Ternhill. I still remember it well, not my best landing, but very satisfying for an eighteen year old learner and safe enough after exactly 10 hours dual.
My instructor had been on Spitfires during the war and was the son of a local farmer from Wem, Shropshire. He was also officer in charge of the station pig farm and sometimes flew in wellies that stank of pigs! During the course we would check the fencing etc on his farm at Wem on dual sorties.

WF795 - 16 August 1958 - Meteor VII first solo at RAF Nicosia when a Hastings second pilot.. No dual at all, only 3 rides in the back of a 216 Sqn T7 at Lyneham with a 216 Sqn second pilot where I got no poling at all! Then I got to play with the Levant Com Sqn Meteor VIII's!
Happy days that seem a long time ago now.

wub
6th Jun 2020, 15:10
Arc,

The name Flt Lt D Tapson appears in my F3822 several times from 626GS, St Eval. This included a solo check and solos in a T31 on 22 April 1962.

I wonder if it was the same Flt Tapson.

The Flt Lt Tapson at Syerston was called Bruce

lauriebe
7th Jun 2020, 02:24
The Flt Lt Tapson at Syerston was called Bruce

wub,

Many thanks for the reply.

Not the same chap by the look of it.

sharpend
7th Jun 2020, 16:03
An interesting, perhaps unique, variant. Where did you find that one?

Oooops, finger gone wonky again. Corrected. Ta

antisthenes
7th Jun 2020, 20:57
Nov 81: Kirby Mk 3 - West Malling
Oct 86: JP3 - West Freugh
Feb 88: Gazelle - HT3 Shawbury

Prangster
8th Jun 2020, 16:14
Ali my KK MK3 solo couldn't have been more different. chucked into the sky in deteriorating weather to, 'get the last solo in' so we don't have to see your ugly mug next weekend. Kirton in Lindsey sat on a ridge. The met had been dog dodgy on and off all day with much waiting about.. as snow flurries passed through. 800' on the dial and oops. cdt Snodgrass is in cloud.

OC 643 sauntered over after the landing with, 'just for a minute there lad I thought you vanished into cloud? 'Not at all sir might have scraped the layer a bit' 'Good lad that's fine, paperwork and all that.By the way do you fancy being a staff cdt.........

Ruffles
9th Jun 2020, 18:11
07 Aug 75 in Chipmunk WP 904 at Roborough, the brave instructor being Mr (Don?) Pugh. All that 'jolly' flying whilst at BRNC certainly helped when I went back for formal grading in 78.

Thud_and_Blunder
10th Jun 2020, 13:17
There's only one 'first' first solo - in my case JP3a XM412 at Linton's RLG of Church Fenton in 1977 (immediately before the aircraft disappeared into ASF for a major service. Went in a month later to have a look, saw how puny the main spar and tailplane components actually were and resolved to try a bit harder not to be so ham-fisted with my aeros. Or landings. Or anything). On reading my 5000 series many years later it transpired that my instructors had noted my underconfidence and used a procedure they referred to as 'covert review' to justify the flex that I clearly needed. Eternally grateful to them; never heard of that system of review when I later became an instructor.

First time I was let loose in a helicopter was later that same year - Whirlwind HAR10 XR453. Still grateful to Oldbeefer - it was the start of 42 mostly-very-happy years in the best job anywhere in the world.

If talking about anything aviation-related, then the first solo experience would have to be the sunset static-line drop under a double-L canopy at Headcorn a few years earlier.