PDA

View Full Version : Replica Boxkite Flies at Point Cook

Roller Merlin
20th Sep 2013, 01:57
The RAAF Museum's replica boxkite, built from scratch to exact original specifications (except for a new engine) by volunteers, has flown!

Bristol Boxkite replica flight testing - YouTube

Arm out the window
20th Sep 2013, 09:14
Awesome!

RM, I thought it might be you on the controls until I watched the video - will you be getting an endorsement?

Arm out the window
20th Sep 2013, 09:20
P.S. for anyone interested as to why there are droopy control services flapping in the breeze, so to speak (as I was), g o o g l e tells me they are 'balancers' which trail with the airflow. They can be pulled down against it to provide a lateral control force, sort of a half-aileron, if you like.

onetrack
20th Sep 2013, 10:53
The 110HP Rotec radial looks like a very neat replacement for the original Gnome Omega - and with 120% more power on tap, does this mean very careful application of throttle? :)

Boxkite (http://www.boxkite2014.org/boxkite/boxkite.htm)

Sunfish
20th Sep 2013, 22:04
What a brilliant project!!!

VH-XXX
21st Sep 2013, 08:59
That's my uncle on the right in the interview and I am very proud of his efforts. He seemingly devotes 90% of his time to the Point Cook Air Museum as do many others there. Good on them!

Roller Merlin
22nd Sep 2013, 02:15
VH-XXX. Your uncle Geoff is one of the great volunteer stalwarts of the Museum. These volunteer guys are simply amazing, working there pretty much like full or part-time employees. Each brings a depth and experience in certain areas that is invaluable. Without these guys the place couldn't function.

For a few of them to go ahead and research then build a flyable exact replica of the Aussie boxkite, without asking for personal recognition or compensation is simply awe-inspiring. You should see the machine up close - the wood wire and canvas work is top class.

Being a RAAF aircraft, it has gone through a lengthy Airworthiness Review Board process and the test flight schedule has started. The video is of this first test flight with Skates at the controls.

Arm...nah mate I dont think an endo will be on the cards. Skates and Boris seem to be having fun though. :p

ruddman
22nd Sep 2013, 03:21
Man, that's awesome. Great job! :D

I guess you'd have to pick your days to take it up though. Do they do requests? How about a Sopwith Camel next? :p

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Sep 2013, 04:13
Looks to be a beautiful job, that Bristol....Well Done!!

Mr R,
You mean like this one...?
Just over the 'detch'.....

Sopwith Camel and Spitfire flying in formation - YouTube

:ok:

ruddman
22nd Sep 2013, 04:57
That's it!

Gotta love the Camel engine. About the only engine that would be disconcerting if it ran smooth.