PDA

View Full Version : Tablet slaves...

Cacophonix
19th Sep 2013, 13:07
I was very amused by the BBC anchorman who presented his piece on drunks clutching a packet of A4 paper rather than his i-Pad or whatever.

The strait laced BBC are putting the episode down to a minor error which he didn't have time to correct before the slot was aired but I suspect, that he, like me, is a member of the KYTH club (kick your tablet habit) and that his was an act of rebellion...

What is it about people that they have to constantly be clutching some piece of electronic kit like some Chinese manufactured safety blanket all the time? To these people I say wise up, there is a real world out there, look around and smell the roses... unless your are PPRuNing of course and then all is forgiven...;)

BBC viewers baffled as news presenter Simon McCoy mistakes printing paper for iPad - but unflappable professional soldiers on - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-viewers-baffled-as-news-presenter-simon-mccoy-mistakes-printing-paper-for-ipad--but-unflappable-professional-soldiers-on-8824919.html)

"The gaffe was worthy of fictional Anchorman broadcaster Ron Burgundy. Indeed, Mr McCoy later seemed to acknowledge he had had his Burgundy moment. “Stay classy, United Kingdom,” he tweeted"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7dUlRUJIM

Caco

G-CPTN
19th Sep 2013, 13:12
My thought was that he had been challenged to do this - other presenters get challenged to include set words or phrases in their commentary.

vulcanised
19th Sep 2013, 13:22
I have just bought my first tablet, running Android.

I find it fiddly and not very intuitive.

Good job it was cheap.

Windy Militant
19th Sep 2013, 13:23
other presenters get challenged to include set words or phrases in their commentary

The Classic being whoever managed to get Carol Kirkwood to utter the immortal line "Wet as an otters pocket" on BBC breakfast!

I think the tablet safety blanket will be some what of a drawinian thing as those who become enraptured will become bonnet mascots toot de suite. ;)

Sunnyjohn
19th Sep 2013, 14:20
What is it about people that they have to constantly be clutching some piece of electronic kit like some Chinese manufactured safety blanket all the time? My theory is that they were all bottle rather than breast fed but I have no proof of that you understand . . . I read somewhere that people with these devices cannot go longer than ten minutes before they have to have another twiddle and I have to say that observation does bear that out. I found it interesting to note, on my recent journeys by Metro here, that the majority of people clutching these things were women. That could be just chance, just something to do with where I live or the fact that their husbands, partners or parents bought them one to keep them quiet. The craze. here anyway, does seem to have superseded the wearing and use of music devices. Now, instead of people walking in front of trains at level crossing because they can't hear them, they walk out in front of trains at level crossings because they can't see them.

Evanelpus
19th Sep 2013, 14:51
He was probably afraid that one of the drunks would nick the tablet, hence the paper!

OFSO
19th Sep 2013, 14:51
CONFESSION: I'd be lost without my ViewSonic 7" tablet, especially on my many long journies. A book to read and at the same time soothing music in my headphones to drown out the squalling of the brat in the seat opposite, calls from the wife I've left behind and a GiggleMaps display to tell me how far south (or north) my TGV has reached. And of course PPRuNe never out of reach.......and nobody here can complain of that !

Best thing since sliced brown bread.

cattletruck
19th Sep 2013, 15:08
The only things I like carrying on self are enough money to get through the day and the key to the front door of the house. Can rarely do that though.

I don't own a tablet but have used them and cannot understand why they don't make them with a bit of give that is a bendable one.

rgbrock1
19th Sep 2013, 15:33
I recently received an Asus 7" MEMO pad Tablet as a gift from the Mrs. I already have a Kindle Fire 7" tablet but I can see the Asus is much nicer and will replace the latter.

I personally think Tablet computers are the bees' knees! And I can see them replacing desktop and laptop computers in the near future.

G-CPTN
19th Sep 2013, 15:58
I have neither tablet nor a sophisticated mobile 'phone capable of accessing the internet (my mobi just makes PAYG calls - no camera).

I would like to be able to access the internet whilst I am away from home - though without invoking huge charges for this.

My internet access would be to check my email account, see what's 'trending' on PPRuNe and search for a reference using Googoo.

I do not use Face-thingy or Twatter.

Any recommendations?

Flap 5
19th Sep 2013, 16:02
I could never really understand the fascination with the tablet. Netbooks have the same size screen, a proper keyboard and the clam shell design protects the screen when closed. The problem with netbooks is the long boot up time for windows based machines compared to the faster boot up of the iPad.

The idea of tv presenters holding an iPad when in front of a camera is supposedly for them to refer to when presenting. Sky news presenters use their iPads when presenting. But it does look a bit odd to me when they are in a studio with all the backup provided by a studio. A bit contrived.

I also find it a bit offputting when they are accessing an iPad in front of camera. I suppose that is down to the irritation that many feel when people are constantly on their smartphones when they are with people. It just comes across as being rude.

rgbrock1
19th Sep 2013, 16:20
G-CPTN:

A question for your question re: away from home.

When you are away from home would you have access to WiFi or are you looking for something "cellular"?

MG23
19th Sep 2013, 16:24
The problem with netbooks is the long boot up time for windows based machines compared to the faster boot up of the iPad.

The original netbooks ran Linux and had SSDs. It was only when Microsoft got scared and started giving Windows to netbook manufacturers for free that they got hard drives and took six hours to boot. We stuffed an SSD into our netbook to replace the hard drive, installed Linux on it, and it now boots in about fifteen seconds.

Companies like tablets because they have better profit margins; they're still considered an up-market product, rather than a cheap and cheerful netbook. The companies making tablet operating systems like them because they can hook you into their app store, where they get around a 30% cut of everything piece of software you buy.

But, yeah, we have a netbook and an Android tablet, and the netbook gets a lot more use. In no small part because it boots faster: you can leave the tablet in standby, but then you have to recharge the battery every couple of days. Which isn't good when you use it about once every two or three days.

G-CPTN
19th Sep 2013, 16:32
When you are away from home would you have access to WiFi or are you looking for something "cellular"?

Probably the latter (cellular) as I am sometimes not within reach of of urban facilities. It would be frustrating to have something which didn't work when I wanted.

ExXB
19th Sep 2013, 16:34
IMHO there is no boot-up time with my iPad. By the time I get the cover open, it's ready for me. With the plethora of free wifi sites there is no need to get the cell-network version. In a push I think almost every McDooDoos has free wifi access, and they don't seem to mind you using it without buying anything. I usually feel guilty and buy a coffee. Pity they don't have real food there.

Biggest issue is with the keyboard, but you can get around that with some of the Bluetooth add-ons.

I don't think I'll ever buy a PC again.

BlankBox
19th Sep 2013, 16:37
ZvGgKrRlff8

Sunnyjohn
19th Sep 2013, 16:43
I have to confess that, when I am out on my daily two-hour bike rides, I carry a very old Nokia mobile phone in order than when I fall under a number 32 bus I can phone my wife and tell her I'm dead.

rgbrock1
19th Sep 2013, 16:47
G-CPTN:

Then I would highly recommend Google's Nexus 7 with both WiFi and cellular capability. It's a 7" tablet running Android with a screen resolution much nicer than Apple's retina displays.

But, that's my opinion.

There are plenty of 7" tablets out there with both WiFi and cellular capabilities to choose from.

Windy Militant
19th Sep 2013, 18:32
There are plenty of 7" tablets out there
Blimey they must take some swallowing, could be worse could be suppositories! :eek:

rgbrock1
19th Sep 2013, 18:38
Not to worry windy. I can think of several people (the top of my own personal shit list) who should have 7" tablets rammed up their asses. Preferably sideways.

vulcanised
19th Sep 2013, 20:45
Another thing I find difficult is the need to press fingers on glass just to operate the thing.

I have spent too many years being careful not to touch screen glass to become easily accustomed to that.

FerrypilotDK
19th Sep 2013, 22:49
Re iPad

Biggest issue is with the keyboard, but you can get around that with some of the Bluetooth add-ons.

I hear this at times, yet for me, the keyboard is FANTASTIC! I have English, Danish, French, Russian and Arabic. The Russian and the Arabic, I only use if the person I am speaking to, cannot understand one of the other languages, I had a flight attendent with VERY basic English and I would write in English, use the translator to make it Russian. She would read, swap the keyboard to Russian and then write an answer, translate to English and pass it back. Without it, we would have been lost.

And each keyboard has it´s own memory, so the predictive changes with the language.

I have GPS-model, so I can navigate in rental cars all over Europe and North America. If in WiFi in hotel, I can load the map and use that even outside WiFi. I have all my aircraft manuals, world-wide Jeppesen, which includes High and Low level en route charts, 100 books, so I no longer need to carry entertainment, 4-5 films and music.

My calendar, flight log and per diems forms are there.

Since buying the iPad, I use my computer only about 35% of the time, the rest on the iPad. Everything syncs to my mac, so I have automatic back-up of everything.

Personally, I would count on WiFi, as the celluar options when outside home country are too expensive.

You won´t regret it, if you USE it. It is a powerful tool. Got the in-laws one and after a little training, they are hooked. At 73, they are not exactly in the "wired" generation, but he loves maps and being able to see where they are going to walk or have returned from, map with superimposed satellite photos, ready at the kitchen table or the living room and not having to "go to the computer." ....it has finally brought him into modern com. She uses it for recipes and books when they travel.

finfly1
19th Sep 2013, 23:09
G-CPTN

Your description of what you want synchs pretty closely with my own.

To that end, my better half has presented me with a Galaxy 2 cellphone. It can exactly do what you outlined. The initial cost was USD 200, and for now there is no additional, as it leechs onto the home wireless network for connection to the www.

However, when one leaves the home and moves about the US, it will require some service to connect. She has been using AT&T with good results at a monthly cost of about USD 60. It can navigate, communicate and yes, it does take pictures {and videos} which are of pretty good quality actually, and I am told it can edit them as well. Obviously those who know what they are doing can post such pictures onto popular websites in seconds (I am really beginning to wish this website would do that!).

The advantage I find over the tablet which does essentially the same thing, is the size and ease of carrying it. She got a hardened case with belt clip and it seems to be working fine till now. I am, of course, using about 15% of its capability, but if and when I feel like learning more features (new "apps") I can do so. It also stores music, videos etc. I quite like it.

Nervous SLF
20th Sep 2013, 00:41
SWMBO has decided that she needs one very soon, I have been told that soon a 5th generation one will be coming out to replace the
current 4th gen.Please can anyone confirm this as she wants to purchase the very latest model.

mikedreamer787
20th Sep 2013, 04:16
I thought this thread was gonna be about

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvkM1VyByKi-hGfHSJ-pzdtKpRKsEytz5ZEwwQZuQkOPdqPBqMdA and https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjMMPs2wxaFAJPTO60Rc61Qi1H66gXgw29YbP3pvS oDdjD0WTqiA

OFSO
20th Sep 2013, 07:43
The initial cost was USD 200,

My HTC phone cost €37 here in Spain - a week later I received a cashback of €80 from the phone operator. Obviously I was pleased. My ViewSonic tablet cost 107 pounds in London: GPS, SIM and SD cards etc.

So no need to pay Apple's ludicruous prices (unless you believe their advertising and don't know that Android has 78% of the OS market).

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Sep 2013, 10:22
G-CPTN ... I suspect that the iPad is probably the way to go.

I've been seriously avoiding one for some time, mainly because of the touchscreen keyboard, but recently my Coastguard Air Patrol unit were issued with one, and I'm slowly, albeit reluctantly, learning to love it.

Previously we've carried a very large marine plotter, which we've had to connect to a power supply and external GPS aerial fitted to the 4 seater Cessna - it took up a lot of room and needed an experienced operator, who might not always be able to answer the call to arms, but now, the navigator can carry an iPad with its' own inbuilt GPS and battery power source, and we find that some of the lads bring their own iPads along as well - recently we had 3 on board - the pilot felt most deprived, having to resort to old fashioned mental and chart pilot nav ! ( unless one of the other three were kind enough to tell him where they were and how long it would take to reach the search area !)

For travel I bought an ASUS EeePc, about the same size as a tablet, but basically a small computer - netbook, but of course it suffers from the usual computer issues, slow to boot up, limited battery life etc.

In the USA I can usually find a WiFi outlet ( sat in the car park behind the local coffee shop for instance ) to download all the e-mails and then go home and read them, and in New Zealand I carry a USB Vodaphone gadget that uses the cellphone towers - a Dongle I think they call them? - it's on a pre-pay system so I'm not caught out with Global Roaming charges.

Ref: the iPad keyboard - my life has been revolutionised by discovering a sort of electronic pencil gadget, the rubber tip of which is used to tap the characters instead of using a podgy, sticky, finger. Magic (literally) I'm now reducing my opposition to Mrs. ExS indulging in an iPad !

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2013, 10:27
SWMBO has an Ipad. I have tried using it. Horrible fiddly thing. Touch the screen and it does a war dance and everything I might have wanted to see disappears and I can't return to it.

Screen resolution and image quality are fantastic, as is the build quality, like all Apple products, but I don't like the bloody thing.

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Sep 2013, 23:24
Another thing I find difficult is the need to press fingers on glass just to operate the thing.

I have spent too many years being careful not to touch screen glass to become easily accustomed to that.Horrible fiddly thing. Touch the screen and it does a war dance and everything I might have wanted to see disappears and I can't return to it..

See my previous, #27, a special stylus with rubber tip helps, ( and no, the rubber tip on an ordinary pencil doesn't work !! )

Terry Dactil
23rd Sep 2013, 03:07
The rubber tip on the stylus works on some capacitive principle, which is why a normal eraser tip does not work.
However, some electronics enthusiasts discovered that the conductive foam that integrated circuit chips are commonly packed in works perfectly as a stylus tip. You can convert a pen to be both a pen and a stylus quite easily. (Works best with a metal pen; a plastic one needs an external wire as well).

Cut off the plastic logo that is usually on the top of the pen and stuff a piece of the conductive foam into the hole.
Trim the conductive foam to shape and the job is complete.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17847496/Pen-Stylus.jpg