PDA

View Full Version : Sending 50Gb to Australia

Loose rivets
19th Sep 2013, 10:58
This may have got missed because it was on the last post in a page (I hate that) and was really a different question altogether.

The photos are now on two computers and 8 DVDs. What is the best way I can send .jpg files to the lovely lady in Aus?

50Gb seems to be about right, and I feel there must be a way to do this without email transmission times as we all receive large downloads so smoothly. However, said lady is not a computer expert by any means. She would need a reasonably easy way to flow them into her kit as .jpg files.

She is willing to buy a USB drive to be posted, but would USB memory sticks be stable/reliable, given the drive would have to be bubble wrapped?

What think you?

The Flying Pram
19th Sep 2013, 11:15
Why not use SD cards? - they're even more compact than USB memory sticks, and virtually indestructible. I usually buy mine from Picstop in the Isle of Man, who are very reasonably priced, and have given me good service. You can fit several cards in the smallest Jiffy Bag, and you only need the lowest read/write speed type, as it's just being used for storage, not fast transfers in a high spec camera. Most PC's now have a card reader built in, but if not they can be had for a few pounds. You can arrange your photos' into folders before copying them onto the card(s) so your recipient can transfer them directly onto her computer with the minimum hassle. At the moment there are more 32GB cards to choose from - the larger sizes are still rather pricey.

TFP

Loose rivets
19th Sep 2013, 11:42
Brilliant idea. Why the heck didn't I think of it?

My book is in my phone, camera and Sat-nav SDs. Oh this old brain of mine.:ugh:

OFSO
20th Sep 2013, 18:21
Yes, and glue the cards inside a magazine, then send at printed paper rate, should save you a bit on postage.

spannersatcx
20th Sep 2013, 21:31
or just upload them to dropbox or similar , I think you get 5gb free, once they've downloaded the first batch put up the next, it's free and quicker.

mixture
20th Sep 2013, 21:59
Yes, and glue the cards inside a magazine, then send at printed paper rate, should save you a bit on postage.

Stupid idea. What happens if they X-ray it.... customs will open it up to take a look.

Send it in the kosher manner and declare it. You're not exactly going to be done for millions of import duty on an SD card, if they bother asking for import duty at all.

But as others have said, the real 21st century solution is for the OP to upload and the recipient to download.

You could also put them on a private Flickr album !

Loose rivets
20th Sep 2013, 22:37
I'll look at the dropbox idea. A tad worried what will happen the other end.

In the last case, would they retain their 3mb per .jpg on Flicker? i.e., not compressed.

mixture
20th Sep 2013, 22:44
In the last case, would they retain their 3mb per .jpg on Flicker? i.e., not compressed.

To quote flickr:
Are there limits on file sizes or file types for uploads?With a Flickr account, you can upload photos up to 200MB in size, or videos of up to 1GB for each video.

How many photos and videos can I upload for free? When you have a free Flickr account, you can upload up to 1 Terabyte worth of photos.

OFSO
21st Sep 2013, 07:08
customs will open it up to take a look.

and then ? Do you really believe they have time to read every bit of media sent thru the post ? Every file ? And check for data in the files ? And if they did, so what ? And do you not think that if the customs are THAT suspicious, they will read the data even if it IS declared...and what do you think happens with magazines sent through the post that include a free DVD/CD from the publishers such as the one I received this week ? Do they open every one and read the data off the CD ?

You've forgotten to take your anti-paranoia tablets again.

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 07:55
Thanks, mixture, I'll look at Flicker tonight. Sounds promising.

I had a bit of a struggle with dropbox last night. Probably part of the trouble was me, but it did seem reluctant to say, Okay, you've loaded me, now stop trying to bloody reinstall me. Just a loop back to install every time.

Anyway, I dragged files to the folder and struggled on with my aged Android. (Sounds like something for piles.) They were there, and the full size, but I haven't discovered a way of checking the size on my phone.

Talking of phones. They've moved on a bit, haven't they? I watched a long video of the Norfolk broads this week. All taken, hand held, on a professional cameraman's phone. Difficult to see the difference from the Beeb. Bewildering.

OverRun
21st Sep 2013, 12:12
Hi Loose Rivets,

50 GB is about 15 DVDs worth, which is quite a bit. Post is the way to go. I get heaps of things posted to me in OZ, including all manner of SD and USB sticks.

SD sounds perfect (actually several SD cards will be needed). Stick ‘em in an envelope and post them - no drama. Simple. There is no paranoia in Australian Customs and they won’t be stopped. Customs are after drugs and guns, and you can’t fit many of those in SD cards.

TWT
21st Sep 2013, 12:27
The cost of downloading 50Gb in Oz at common ISP rates would be prohibitive.

As has been said,just post USB sticks or SD cards.

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 12:44
Downloading costs? Crikey, I hadn't thought of that.

Sounds like SD it is, though finding ones that can be used again for the Nikon D90 is not as simple as it sounds. One site seems to say Nikon have never mentioned a 16Gb. 8 or just perhaps, 32. And the speed has to be brisk for that camera.

Any thoughts on that, or to be cost-effective shall I just go for data carrying with no thought of re-use? i.e. ratio of cost for more capacity than she'll ever need.

PC world here in UK demand money to speak to them on the phone. I will not deal with people that do that.

Say No to 0870 provided some branches, but the Colchester one just hung up on me. It's 1-800 in the US or the company has no customers.

Now have to see if my dual boot will still fire up in Vista. It's the only one with Sony Drivers. Never did get that sorted and one attempt cost a total reload of the OS - so, I'm looking to update my computer with a powerful with W7. One of our members has just managed to get a Dell (in the US) with W7. Phew! Enough thread-drift for one day.

vulcanised
21st Sep 2013, 14:15
You might find 7DAYSHOP.COM - Low cost photography, inkjet, memory, batteries, computer and office supplies (http://www.7dayshop.com/) have some cards at good prices.

mixture
21st Sep 2013, 14:39
Sounds like SD it is, though finding ones that can be used again for the Nikon D90 is not as simple as it sounds. One site seems to say Nikon have never mentioned a 16Gb. 8 or just perhaps, 32. And the speed has to be brisk for that camera.

Have you considered looking in the manual ?

For all the Nikon's I've ever owned, there has always been a table detailing memory card compatibility information.

The Flying Pram
21st Sep 2013, 18:54
The site I referred to is selling Sandisk 16GB class 10 SDHC cards for £8.49 including free postage: SanDisk Ultra Secure Digital Card (SDHC) CLASS 10 - 16GB | SDSDU-016G-U46 | Free Delivery (http://www.picstop.co.uk/memory-cards/secure-digital-sdhc/sandisk-ultra-ii-secure-digital-card-sdhc-class-10-16gb-eu)

Wikipedia states: "Class 10 for Full HD video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills"

3 Of them might be enough for your purposes (put all your pictures in one master folder and use "Properties" to see the total size). The cards should be fast enough for your recipient's camera, or could always be re-used for sending piccies back to Blighty!

I have no connection with Picstop other than as a satisfied customer. You can speak to a real human being for the cost of a normal rate call, or order online.

Edit: This forum posting mentions using 16GB Sandisk Class 4 (slower) cards with no problems: What to consider when choosing a memory card for Nikon D90? - Photography Stack Exchange (http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/5373/what-to-consider-when-choosing-a-memory-card-for-nikon-d90)

mixture
22nd Sep 2013, 08:51
Edit: This forum posting mentions using 16GB Sandisk Class 4 (slower) cards with no problems: What to consider when choosing a memory card for Nikon D90? - Photography Stack Exchange

Again, do me a favour and read the :mad: manual if you want to know what cards are will work best with the D90 or any other Nikon.

Its all there ! No need to rely on forum posts that rely on heresy, that forum link doesn't really say much at all, its just a bunch of noise consisting of pointless chatter of different people stating their personal experience based on no evidence of any degree of thorough testing.

Loose rivets
22nd Sep 2013, 10:32
The handbook, I assume, is in Australia and the PDF download is kinda' large to get involved in.

I gained my limited knowledge from Ken Rockwell, though even he does things I'm puzzled by - like screw maximum colour into every shot.

One forum I went to the other day had posts questioning the 16Gb void. No one could understand why that was not listed. However, if I can get 16s for under ten quid, it won't matter if they can't be reused, with a good chance they can.

TWT
22nd Sep 2013, 18:44
On the South American big river website they have 32Gb USB sticks for 10-17 quid
each.I'll assume you can buy them at a similar price at other places.Just buy 2,transfer the pics and it's done.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Loose rivets
22nd Sep 2013, 22:54
Huh! After trying to post before the IB outage, I now see the post 'took' as I gave up and went to the sedative cupboard to control my PPRuNe unrequited addiction.

Well, went to the big river and ordered 16s. Fast ones. Despite loads of forum geeks saying they don't use them on the Nikon range, some do, and like them a lot. We'll see.

One thing, I thought I'd got free post, but it seems if you press the One Stop sendy thing, You pay the prime sendy thing amount of 3.99. Matters little.

Will advise if they work in my old D50. (no filming on that, so no real test. While her D90 can take movies. ) {I see on the forums, the D90 is now becoming unsupported by Nikon} Well, that didn't seem to take long.

I think I'm going over to the little Sony. It's taking the world by storm, and I can lift the darn thing.

Bushfiva
23rd Sep 2013, 04:29
Unless a firmware update changed things, the D50's internal formatting routine could only handle up to 2 GB SD cards. You could use the rarer 4GB SD cards if it is formatted outside the camera. When it was released in 2005, 2GB was quite a lot.

Since you're buying an SD card to mail stuff to Australia, I don't quite see why it matters whether it works on a D50: you're expecting the other side to mail the card(s) back?

The local convenience store has 64 GB cards for around $28, $3 more than 32 GB.

Loose rivets
23rd Sep 2013, 07:41
Oh, I was going to try one on my D50, but it doesn't matter. As long as she can get the data onto her laptop in Aus, all's well. If she can use them on her D90, then that's a bonus.

In a spare moment, I opened several other forums about the D90's use of SD cards. Finally, I got the Nikon site and the specific question picked. It showed their official page with, No longer supported kind of message in the middle of a large important-looking blank space. :ugh:

The forum folk seem to say the reason the 16Gig card is shown as not suitable in Nikon D90 bumph, is simply because Nikon have never tried that type. Numerous folk say they run 16s, so decided to go for that. 32, is getting unmanageably large for day to day use where still photos is the main usage.

Just phoned London Camera Exchange in Colchester. Without a second's hesitation, he said the 16 will work just fine. Sometimes, I like people to hesitate before answering. :hmm:

The next thing is, to format or not to format. Does one have to format specifically for computer use and then reformat in the camera?

. :( I know I edited.

Bushfiva
23rd Sep 2013, 08:16
No, but sometimes yes. It mainly boils down to the default format the computer chooses, and whether that's supported by the camera. A card formatted in a camera will always work in a computer. Some computer formats aren't supported in all cameras. For example, SDXC cards are preformatted with exFAT, which hasn't been licensed by all manufacturers on all models. The cards will work in SDHC-capable devices if reformatted to a compatible format, but you lose the high speed modes.

So I'd tend to format in the camera, unless I know the body can support larger cards when formatted outside the camera.