PDA

View Full Version : Ken Norton...

Cacophonix
19th Sep 2013, 10:13
Another great boxer from the era of great heavyweight boxers goes west....

Ken Norton dies at the age of 70 | Sport | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/sep/19/ken-norton-dies-age-70-boxing)

Ken Norton, former heavyweight champion, passes away at the age of 70 - YouTube

Caco

Airborne Aircrew
19th Sep 2013, 10:30
There were some pretty special heavyweights back then weren't there...

Cacophonix
19th Sep 2013, 10:53
There were some pretty special heavyweights back then weren't there...

There sure were! George Foreman was and still is my favourite (despite his griller). ;)

Here is a classic with Ken Norton...

Muhammad Ali vs Ken Norton I - March 31, 1973 - Entire fight - Rounds 1 - 12 & Interviews - YouTube

Caco

Dak Man
19th Sep 2013, 12:18
Semper Fi.

Cyber Bob
19th Sep 2013, 15:46
Ernie Shavers - small amongst the heavyweights but had the heart of a Lion and punch of a Jack hammer

Airborne Aircrew
19th Sep 2013, 20:56
I have always wonders what Teofilio Stevenson could have done had he not lived in Cuba.

BenThere
19th Sep 2013, 21:12
Ali would have mopped the floor with him.

Airborne Aircrew
19th Sep 2013, 21:17
Ben:

In his prime there was only one man that ever beat Clay/Ali - Henry Cooper.

I would have liked to have seen Stevenson go professional, come to the USA and be trained properly and go against the best heavyweights of the time.

yotty
19th Sep 2013, 21:21
Heavyweights were great, but could there have ever been a better fight than this? Sugar Ray Leonard vs Thomas Hearns l - [1/6] - YouTube

BenThere
19th Sep 2013, 21:43
I've flown flights with Tommy Hearns aboard in the past year out of Detroit. A gentleman who was able to survive and prosper after the fight.

Joe Frazier beat Ali in his prime in 1971. There was never another such rivalry of lions in boxing to match the Frazier-Ali matchups. They were the two best fighters ever if you ask me. I don't know how Evander/Tyson would have stood up to them, but I do know Ali and Frazier were powerful and gave their absolute all to the fight.

Airborne Aircrew
19th Sep 2013, 22:18
Ben:

Ali was in his prime when he was Cassius Clay...After his incarceration he wasn't quite as quick... Personal opinion, yes, but I'm right... ;)

BenThere
19th Sep 2013, 22:31
He held his own, though, for a few more years.

You're right, though, Cassius Clay was electric-his defeat of Sonny Liston was the upset of a century; while Mohammed Ali was merely the most excellent tactical boxer we've seen in our lifetimes.

Cacophonix
19th Sep 2013, 22:36
Ben There

Ali was and is a great man and a great fighter but believe me Ken (Kenny) Norton always troubled him.

Watch the link I posted upstairs where they fought in March 1973 and where Norton broke his jaw in the 1st round and won...

A wonderful era in boxing....

In the middle weight and light heavy arena I appreciated Hearns, Hagler and Leonard...

From a South African perspective I watched Bob Foster a sheriff from Arizona (nay New Mexico) fight my SA hero Pierrie Fourie twice...

Pierrie Fourie (Bob Voster) (Victor Galindez) & Gerrie Coetzee v/s Leon Spinks - YouTube

Caco

Airborne Aircrew
19th Sep 2013, 22:37
Ben:

On a purely technical and strategic level coupled with his ability to market himself Ali was the greatest heavyweight of all time. Cassius Clay would have beaten him... ;)

Lonewolf_50
19th Sep 2013, 22:50
Ken Norton: heckuva fighter. Semper Fi, Ken, you left your mark. :ok:

Leanord Hearns: what a fight.

The great heavyweight ear is over.
Sad. I saw some great fights over the years.

Cacophonix
19th Sep 2013, 23:36
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/19/article-0-1BE7901F000005DC-697_634x495.jpg

Airborne Aircrew
20th Sep 2013, 00:06
The great heavyweight ear is over.

No.. That was the Tyson era... :}

Nick Riviera
20th Sep 2013, 12:42
In his prime there was only one man that ever beat Clay/Ali - Henry Cooper

Except that Our 'Enery never beat him - 2 fights, 2 defeats. Sure, he hurt him and possibly could have beaten him (rumours of skullduggery between rounds after he tagged Clay) but he didn't.

Ken Norton was a great boxer who unfortunately had the misfortune to be fighting in a golden era for heavyweights. If he and the likes of Ernie Shavers had been born 20 years later they would have been long-reigning world champions. I put Norton below only Larry Holmes as the most underrated heavyweight champion.

Cyber Bob
20th Sep 2013, 14:32
"Cassius Clay was electric-his defeat of Sonny Liston was the upset of a century"

Wasn't so much of an upset in some quarters. This includes Liston's own camp/backers. I'm not suggesting he was told to lie down but..............Go watch the flights again.