PDA

View Full Version : Dakota G-AGZB Accident

Hew Jampton
6th May 2002, 12:17
http://www.geocities.com/airmemorial is a website about this accident on the Isle of Wight in 1962.

bean
7th May 2002, 10:40
Arthur Whitlock wrote about his experiences with the captain of this aircraft in his superb book "Behind the cockpit door". Basically a sad portrait of a keen but not entirely up to scratch pilot who was eventually fired by BKS (Whitlocks' employer) & taken on by channel.
I've seen the actual investigation files of this accident at the Public Record Office at Kew. They paint a very interesting picture of operational standards at the time, which was only two years after the introduction of Air Operators Certificates as a result of decidedly ropey standards by certain independent Airlines of the time, culminating in a horrendous crash of a overloaded & poorly maintained Vickers Viking into houses at Southall in 1958

Pom Pax
7th May 2002, 13:34
Was there an earlier almost identical crash at site? BEA?
I have read the link, did Thorney have radar and a ndb by this time? Why does the author of the site harp on about Thorney being closed on a Sunday, Tangmere would have been open.
However I would observe that frequently civil aircraft flew east of The Wight rather than St Catherine's - Petersfield, however when ever this was the subject of a complaint it was always denied.

welkyboy
18th May 2002, 20:50
Other accidents in this area include Aquila Airways Solent G-AKNU returning to Southampton water with a tech problem in the 50's and a Cessna 182 G-ARAA scud runnng, these two I remember, no doubt there have been others, as this particular area rises to 791 ft AMSL within 1 mile of the coast.(see S England half mil chart just north of Ventnor, Isle of Wight)