PDA

View Full Version : So, now I've seen the most incredible thing in the history for things.

Loose rivets
18th Sep 2013, 21:38
Some words to comply - There are no words for my admiration of the human mind.

Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters - YouTube

Squawk 7500
18th Sep 2013, 22:08
Amazing toys

tony draper
18th Sep 2013, 22:35
We could replace ankle tags on criminals with one of them following them round all day, I'm sure someone in a office with home office green walls somewhere is already thinking along these lines.:E
Agree fantastic bits of kit, fantastic demo.
:ok:

con-pilot
18th Sep 2013, 22:36
If you think that is something, check this out.

Video: Mind-controlled robot helicopter takes flight - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10098181/Mind-controlled-robot-helicopter-takes-flight.html)

:ooh:

Loose rivets
18th Sep 2013, 23:29
Trumped. One will relay your link to my professor son who's down the road a bit from you. He likes looking at brains.

M.Mouse
19th Sep 2013, 00:29
Amazing toys

They are not just toys but are increasingly being used for aerial photography amongst other things and when used in return for 'valuable consideration' the pilot has to be licensed (compulsory ground school, exam and flight test) The owning organisation has to have approval to operate complete with an approved Operations Manual all regulated by the UK CAA.

I believe there will be a big crackdown on operating multi-rotor craft by private individuals. If you buy a fixed wing radio controlled aeroplane or conventional large model helicopter they are difficult to fly and you would probably crash the model if you attempted to fly it without help or tuition.

With multi-rotor craft they are stabilised electronically to make them fly because they are inherently unstable. this means that any idiot can buy one and fly it without difficulty straight out of the box. Given the weight and the fact that the bigger units have sharp and fast rotating propellers it is only time before someone is hurt or killed by an idiot.

This is an example of an idiot in New Zealand. (http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/mikrokopter-drone-crashes-skyscraper)

parabellum
19th Sep 2013, 01:28
Keeping them out of terrorist hands will be a major concern, assassination or just general mayhem when fitted with an explosive device.

broadreach
19th Sep 2013, 02:58
Rivets, thanks for posting the TED link.

M.Mouse and Parabellum, very true. I have a Parrot drone which I bought mainly to film my property and those of friends from the air, but have not yet ventured higher than 15 feet! And crashed into hedges almost every time.

probes
19th Sep 2013, 08:38
super - thanks for the link!
So, are "the algorithms" close to bumble-bees ("natural flyers") already? :cool:

BBC News - Bumblebee flight inspires 'bad weather robot' design (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24149440)

The footage revealed how in unsteady airflow, the bumblebees roll to correct their flight path.
"The bumblebees also seemed to be more susceptible to disturbances that pushed them sideways as opposed to up and down," explained Dr Ravi.
"The bees rolled considerably to change course and correct for the disturbances induced by the wind."
The scientist said that a better understanding of how natural flyers contended with turbulent wind would help "immensely" in the design of micro air vehicles that flew in adverse weather.