PDA

View Full Version : Song Lyrics

Canadian Break
18th Sep 2013, 19:59
Chaps, I am trying to help a friend track down the song (complete version) that this line came from:

"terrified men lying prone on the floor hoping that the next target will be Margate.

Seems to me that it may have been a Bomber Command song.

Anyone got any ideas?

CB

99 Change Hands
18th Sep 2013, 20:11
Google took me to halfway down this page:

578 Squadron (http://www.578squadron.org.uk/squadron/songs.html)

Canadian Break
18th Sep 2013, 20:30
99: TVM chap - your Google is obviously far more efficient than mine - I did try - honest Guv! CB:ok:

Ali Qadoo
19th Sep 2013, 11:09
Apart from the lyrics to the song, I would thoroughly recommend taking a look at the link to the 578 Sqn website on 99 CH's post. There are some fascinating and moving stories on there. What a lucky find!

jimgriff
19th Sep 2013, 12:55
Mike Harding will love you for that CB:ok:

SOSL
19th Sep 2013, 13:39
I think my Dad knew Wilkerson. Dad also trained at Moose Jaw, but when he came back to Great Britain he flew Typhoons, in the ground attack role, mostly over France, shooting and rocketing trains and road convoys. IIRC they called it "Operation Winkle". He was promoted Sqn Ldr when he was 23.

Later he was sent to India (RAF Ranchi - a hill station in the North East) where he flew Spitfires and met my Mum.

She was a Captain in the Queen Alexander's Royal Army Nursing Corps. She had been amongst the first nurses to deal with the surviving prisoners from Buchenwald and Auschwitz.

So when they started to liberate POWs from the Jap camps they sent her and her team to India because of their experience with caring for POWs. She did a wonderful job but it took a heavy toll on her.

She is now 96 yrs old, still sharp as a button, and living with my youngest sister and her family. Sadly the old man passed away more than 20 years ago - but he was a great pilot!

Rgds SOS

Ali Qadoo
19th Sep 2013, 16:43
SOSL, what squadron(s) was your Dad on when flying Typhoons? My late father served on 182 and 245 - just wondering if their paths crossed.

SOSL
19th Sep 2013, 20:34
AQ - I'm not sure, but my No. 1 daughter has his log books, I'll check with her and let you know.

Rgds SOS

The Oberon
19th Sep 2013, 21:02
Interesting link CH, but I must admit that the first time I heard the Bomber version of Old King Cole the first line went " Old King Cole was a bugger for his hole and a bugger for his hole was he".