PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety history and flying

FDHBay
18th Sep 2013, 13:04
Hi all,

I know very similar questions have been discussed here, but I'm finding it quite difficult to acquire information so I've decided to ask directly. Please accept my apologies for this repetition.

I am hoping to change career and undergo pilot training later this year or early next year. I've always wanted to be a pilot and now find myself in a good position to commence training. However, I do have a history of mild personal anxiety. I am able to control it myself with meditation and other techniques I have acquired, but I have had two flare ups. Three years ago I had a health scare, which turned out to be minor and was completely resolved, that led to an increase in anxiety for which I underwent a short course of therapy. More recently, this summer I endured a period of personal stress related to the fact that my girlfriend and I were about to spend two years apart due to immigration related reasons. I wasn't feeling great so a doctor prescribed a short course of Sertraline (SSRI) on a very low dose (50mg). I took them for two months and am now tapering off them. I was reluctant to take them as I was afraid of having consequent issues (like problems attaining a medical), but the doctor assured me this itself was an anxiety reaction and I would only have a problem if I missed significant amounts of work - which I did not. Now it seems that may not be the case.

I honestly feel great at the moment and I think I have learned a lot from this episode. I don't think the Sertraline was particularly effective, and that these issues are best dealt with personally where possible. I think I am in control of it and I believe my personal anxiety issues wouldn't affect my ability to become a pilot. Obviously I have to convince a medical examiner of that.

Many similar issues have been discussed on this forum and others, although it seems quite hard to find concrete information. I understand the rules have changed or/are changing. I was hoping someone with experience of this might be able to help...

1. Would my history act as an automatic disqualification? I assume not, but I sense it is a significant obstacle.

2. Should I postpone going for a medical and allow a certain amount of time pass? I have seen suggestions ranging from a month to six months to a year. If so, then what?

3. If I passed the medical, following full disclosure, and completed training would this history act as a significant barrier to securing good employment? I have seen it suggested that major airlines won't touch any candidate with a history of anxiety or depression, even if they hold a valid medical. Do others know if this is true?

4. Finally, does anyone have any advice or information about what other pilots have done, or do, in such scenarios? Wait? There seems to be a certain amount of secrecy surrounding this issues, perhaps because it was once a source of automatic disqualification.

I don't want to give up on being a pilot now, but I also want to avoid greater disappointment further down the road.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has comments, information or advice.

Thanks and sorry for the long post and repetition.