PDA

View Full Version : Those poor dogs.

doubleu-anker
18th Sep 2013, 12:42
This disgusts me. I could say more but will reframe.

BBC News - MoD defends decision to put down 'William' guard dogs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24139769)

500N
18th Sep 2013, 12:46
I'm sceptical after reading it in the DM if it's not a bit of a beat up.

Secondly, one of the dogs clearly had behavioural issues.

Even so, said to see them put down.

DX Wombat
18th Sep 2013, 13:06
The Dogs Trust is being somewhat hypocritical. It is only very recently that someone seeking to rehome his dog with them was told he should have it put to sleep. The reason for this? The dog is 8 years old and almost blind but otherwise perfectly healthy so could still have a long happy life. The dog is now safe in a good home for the rest of his days.

doubleu-anker
18th Sep 2013, 13:54
Homeless humans??

Ancient Observer
18th Sep 2013, 13:56
Will the person who made the decision now be hounded?
I wonder if they pawsed whilst thinking it through.
As it was from the Wail, maybe it is just a tail.

VP959
18th Sep 2013, 14:14
I read this this morning and my first thought was that something seemed odd about the story. Later clarification revealed that this wasn't at all as first portrayed and that these two dogs were at the end of their useful life.

Even without the behavioural issues that one of these old dogs had, it's a sad fact that guard dogs aren't ever easy to re-home when they get too old or are unfit to work. I doubt that even the Dogs Trust would have looked upon them as being reasonable prospects for re-homing, despite what they may have said in reaction to this story.

As for the fact that the original reporter tried to connect this story (falsely) to Prince William leaving Valley, that's just crass, as the events were wholly unrelated. Anyone who's worked on a station with a royal present will know that the only real additions on the security side are the presence of the PPOs. The station security state may be notched up, but that doesn't necessarily mean they get more dogs, as security states go up and down all time as the threat level changes.

Background Noise
18th Sep 2013, 15:39
Hasn't this often been the case? Not the current non-story, but the unfortunate putting down of ex military and police dogs. Mostly because many of these dogs are not suitable for domestic life after their working lives and often because they have been overseas. I seem to remember it was often the case with dogs that had served in Germany, back in the cold war days, partly because of their temperament and partly due to the importing and quarantine rules then in force.

800 guard dogs put down by Army after finishing their faithful service - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/800-guard-dogs-put-down-782782)

Lightning Mate
18th Sep 2013, 15:55
Sadly this will always be the case with this sort of dog.

Other working types do not usually end up being put down, such as guide dogs, care dogs, and sheep dogs. Their temperament is different.

And yet there are :mad:oles in this country who have vicious animals such as Staffordshires who own them as trophies, and these animals kill children.

probes
19th Sep 2013, 08:51
somewhat wider perspective from the BBC:
Farm dogs, sniffer dogs, police dogs, service dogs, guide dogs - our canine friends are used to the world of work. Some even miss it when it comes to an end. But what generally happens to a dog when it retires?
Think of a working dog and it tends to be certain breeds - border collies on farms, German shepherds or Belgian shepherds (malinois) as police or security dogs, springer or cocker spaniels as sniffer dogs, Labradors and retrievers as guide dogs.
BBC News - Who, what, why: Where do working dogs go when they retire? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24143338)

DX Wombat
19th Sep 2013, 11:05
Bryn and Dilys' mums were retired to new homes. Dilys' mum has taken to the comfort of a warm, cosy home like a duck to water, he sister was also rehomed but still has a job to do helping her owner find and collect the eggs from her free-ranging hens. Bryn's mum retired to a small farm to help with about 80 sheep. A friend has Bryn & Dilys' young nephew. He comes from a farm where the dogs are kept when they retire from full time farm work. When I was last there they had an old, almost blind sheepdog who still had her little job to do - she rounded up the ducks at night and put them into their hut. To quote the farmer "She has no idea where they are until one of them quacks and then she goes and puts them away for the night". :D A clever little dog who is enjoying her retirement but still has a little job to keep her happy and a farmer and his wife who appreciate the contribution the dogs have made to their lives.

probes
19th Sep 2013, 11:12
That sounds really inspiring, DXW. Seriously.