PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Med Eyesight

jstew15
6th May 2002, 11:20
Just had a look at the CAA website for eyesight requirements but didn't really understand them. My eyesight is -1.25 (left), -1.00(right), I know the limits are +5,-5 dioptres, but I am unsure whether or not I will be required to wear glasses when flying. Hope someone can answer this query for me.

JS:confused:

PeteB
6th May 2002, 11:46
I think you will.

In my last medical I was advised to wear my glasses when flying, and my prescription is only -0.25 and -0.5. I rarely (almost never) wear my glasses other wise.

Lets face it - your glasses help you to see better, what possible reason could you have for not wearing them when flying?

richie-rich
6th May 2002, 13:06
pete b
did my f.a.a class 1 that day and was asked to wear spectacles while flying with -0.25 right and -0.5 left..........

they do mention at f.a.a class one under "Restriction" about wearing glass as long as u r flying......

cheers
richie-rich

PeteB
6th May 2002, 13:42
In the UK, the +5.00 and -5.00 diopteres you read about were maximum and minimums for eyesight. If your eyes were outside these limits you would not be able to get an initial class one medical. With the FAA though, as long as your glasses correct your vision to 20/20 you can obtain a class one. At least, that's how I understand it.

All this is irrelevant to you of course as your eyes aren't nearly that bad!!