Touch and go :sad:
diverted to Osaka airport after he failed second attempt

Bangkokian
17th Sep 2013, 16:12
TG has a different approach on NRT A380 landings in heavy crosswinds:

HE26p9ojBEE

ATC Watcher
17th Sep 2013, 17:32
That is one of the reasons I try to fly Lufthansa when I can .

BOAC
17th Sep 2013, 17:37
Puzzled as to the thread title - what was 'Xtrem' about the g/a? Looked like a sensible decision to me.

Booglebox
17th Sep 2013, 17:50
Crikey Bangkokian, looks like #3 engine hit the runway there :uhoh:

Dash8driver1312
17th Sep 2013, 18:15
BOAC, I think the child was was trying to be hip with netspeak. Sadly though, the only extreme thing is his lack of ability to use a spellchecker.

But seriously, although it would have been, ahem, interesting for the flight crew playing with that Whale, that LH go around was terribly tame and controlled.

Dimitris
17th Sep 2013, 18:31
In 'touch and go' cases, are there landing fees of any short charged?

It wouldn't be unreasonable if they were, right? Most of the stress on the runway is on touchdown and braking I guess (??)

D

edit: watching the video again, it wasn't much of a touch in the literal way, but in any case, if an aircraft touches down and goes around for any reason, would there be landing fees?

jcjeant
17th Sep 2013, 20:50
Hi,

Just replace the Lufthansa logo by the Air France one .. and I'm sure the comments would have been different :)

treadigraph
18th Sep 2013, 06:09
On the Thai A380, any idea what causes that dirty streak starting at the forward upper deck door? Or is it a shadow?

Just curious... :)

Edit: 'ere, I;ve gone back in time - post says 07:09 and it's quite definitely 08:09...

ManofMan
18th Sep 2013, 07:06
Only the quick thinking actions of the pilot saved those poor souls in the Orphanage from more misery, well done in performing this extreme go around !

victorc10
18th Sep 2013, 07:27
Otherwise known as a balked landing.

victorc10
18th Sep 2013, 07:37
Hmmmm. So ATC watcher, the reason you try to fly the LH is because they bugger up the landing and float down the runway forcing them to go around at very low level. When the TG makes a perfectly good approach and manages to land...a positive landing as one would expect in these conditions. Out of the two I would have chosen the TG.

No disrespect to the LH crew since they made a very good decision after failing to put the aircraft down in the correct place. could have been a gust, flared to high or too hard...who knows, but for the avoidance of doubt I make no judgement on their capabilities

Hotel Tango
18th Sep 2013, 08:37
Isn't there a typhoon blowing near the area at the moment?

LH made the correct decision in the circumstances and executed a text book GA. All you idiotic armchair pilots with your pathetic comments (that includes you victorc10) haven't a clue what the conditions were at the time. By the way, any evidence that the TG landing was at the same time, or even the same day, as LH?

DaveReidUK
18th Sep 2013, 10:24
the reason you try to fly the LH is because they bugger up the landingfor the avoidance of doubt I make no judgement on their capabilities Make up your mind.

Bushfiva
18th Sep 2013, 11:22
HT, yes, the text on the left of the video says this is typhoon 18. Some places inland had more than a month's rain in a few hours. OUr area had an evacuation alert covering 390,000 people.