PDA

View Full Version : How to Pay a fine

haughtney1
17th Sep 2013, 15:03
The proper way....

Paying a parking fine in coins - YouTube

tony draper
17th Sep 2013, 15:13
Wouldn't work in this country above a certain value and number coins can be refused

Capetonian
17th Sep 2013, 15:19
Excellent, but sadly he was in the wrong as in most administrations there are limits on what amounts are legal tender in coins. I don't know what it would be in Australia.

A better option might have been an offer to pay in instalments, with each instalment being the legal limit.

I have done something like this twice. Once was when a very mean and grasping member of my staff asked, presumptuously, if she could have money for her birthday present. I said yes and she got money, in 1 and 1/2 cent pieces, and apparently sat up half the night counting it. Tee hee!

Another was when I caused minor damage to some pr!ck's crappy old car in a car park mishap. I waited until he came out of the shop and explained what had happened, he went ballistic, shouting and yelling and cursing, so I told him to get a quote for the 'damage' (three parallel scratches about 6 inches long) and let me have it. I then went round and threw the whole lot in coins onto his front lawn.

RustyTD
17th Sep 2013, 15:23
Legal Tender

http://banknotes.rba.gov.au/assets/img/legaltender/wallet.jpg
Australian banknotes are a legal tender throughout Australia (this is provided in section 36(1) of the Reserve Bank Act 1959).
A payment of coins is a legal tender throughout Australia if it is made in Australian coins, but this is subject to some restrictions about how much can be paid in coin. According to the Currency Act 1965 (section 16) coins are legal tender for payment of amounts which are limited as follows:

not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (these coins have been withdrawn from circulation, but are still legal tender);
not exceeding $5 if any combination of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered; and
not exceeding 10 times the face value of the coin if $1 or $2 coins are offered.
For example, if someone wants to pay a merchant with five cent coins, they can only pay up to $5 worth of five cent coins and any more than that will not be considered legal tender.
The Reserve Bank of Australia does not have legal responsibility for Australian coins. That responsibility belongs to the Royal Australian Mint.

TWT
17th Sep 2013, 15:30
That's a dumb way to 'pay' a fine.

It's not legal tender.He didn't get a receipt.

But he did get people to watch a You Tube video.What an idiot.

er340790
17th Sep 2013, 15:34
Very small-minded, but I find this one works.....

If you have a fine or credit card balance with an outfit you no longer wish to do business with, simply OVERPAY electronically by 1 cent.

Their systems cannot handle this and will continue to show a CR balance which will trigger an automatic statement each month. I have an old account with TD bank that has not been used since 1995, but every month they still mail me a hardcopy statement.

Conservatively, I reckon this has cost them around $350 to date.

As I say, very petty and small-minded I know, but imagine if WE ALL DID IT with organizations that have offended us!!!!! :E

Capetonian
17th Sep 2013, 15:39
If you have a fine or credit card balance with an outfit you no longer wish to do business with, simply OVERPAY electronically by 1 cent.

I did that with the receiver of revenue, only it was by cheque. I then wrote and asked for a cheque to compensate for my overpayment, and I never banked the cheque so it showed outstanding in their books. They wrote to me every month until the cheque went stale.

Capot
17th Sep 2013, 17:07
My Bible for decades has been a little book called "Bureaucrats; How to Annoy Them "; we keep it in that special little library where you can sit and contemplate or read for as long as you like without interruption because the door is locked. (It lives alongside another wonderful book, "How to Lie with Statistics" written long ago and still used daily by the Government and all large advertisers.)

Among the many rewarding ploys described is this one, used when paying money to a Government Department, Council or any other "official" organisation, for any reason including a parking fine. You send a cheque for the correct amount plus a tiny bit, say 1.23, or $2.64 if you are that way inclined, or 1-4s-71/2d if you haven't yet mastered decimal currency.

About 4 weeks later, write a long and formal letter, copied to a firm of Solicitors, asking for the extra back, but using an incorrect reference number. When the refund does not arrive, write to a very senior official complaining about the lack of response.

This can then be kept up indefinitely, and will involve many hours of futile work by the officials concerned.

Of course, the book was written in those far-off times when Government officials knew how to read and write, and would respond to a letter or phone call from the public, instead of (in the UK) ignoring any letter and not answering to phone calls.

Standard Noise
17th Sep 2013, 17:50
If you have a fine or credit card balance with an outfit you no longer wish to do business with...

This sort of covers me, I have an outstanding credit balance of 2.24 on my old Capital One credit card (came from cashback on transactions from about 5 years ago). When I first took out the card about ten years ago I wasn't aware that I had to elect to receive paper statements and because of this, they claimed that I missed the payment date for two months running. I only found this out when they sent me a letter telling me they were charging me 20 on each occasion for late payment. I let them know I hadn't received statements and they waved the fees. Then the next month the same thing happened! Again they waved the 20 fee and I insisted they sent me statements so I at least knew what my payment due date was. It p!ssed me off so much I paid off the balance and left the cashback sitting on the account. I often wonder how much it's cost them over the years in monthly statements and admin. Ho hum.

alisoncc
17th Sep 2013, 19:13

Their systems cannot handle this and will continue to show a CR balance which will trigger an automatic statement each month.I understood many years ago that the UK organisation that handles traffic infringements was only able to process demerit points once a fine transaction was completed. So by paying a few pennies extra and then not banking the refund cheque they forwarded meant that any demerit points applicable were put on indefinite hold.

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2013, 19:34
Having come to the end of my contract in a foreign country (HK), I had to settle and close my landline telephone account. To do this I had get the company to work out what I owed in advance but attend their local office. I settled the account by cheque and left the country.

However, for about ten years (yes, a whole decade!), every quarter they sent me a bill for HK$13 - about 1.25p. These letters arrived by airmail to my new address here in UK. I tried many, many times to get this stopped - I wasn't ever going to pay because I had paid their final bill).

I sent a few faxes, then latterly many emails, for years, telling them I wasn't interested in payment. The company did once reply, claiming I had made an overseas call on a certain date, but this was after I had actually moved out of the house, settled the bill and left the country, so it certainly wasn't my responsibility.

The telephone provider then changed hands but still these bills arrived. I sent an email to the new company, explaining the situation. Thankfully, they eventually wrote off the bill. Goodness knows how much it had cost them to send the letters for a decade. :hmm:

skydiver69
17th Sep 2013, 19:46
I kept 1 pence in my old online EGG bank account out of spite for them cancelling my credit card. I had never paid late or broke my credit card limit but for some bizarre reason they decided that I, along with a few thousand other people, suddenly presented a bad credit risk. I therefore withdrew my money from their bank except for 1 p in the anticipation that the admin cost of keeping the account open would cost them a lot of money in the long term.

wings folded
17th Sep 2013, 20:09
All these clever ruses to get your satisfaction from pissing off banks, corporations, local authorities, government departments or whatever have the effect of increasing their overheads, which they recover from all users / clients, most of whom do not resort to such puerile tactics.

Well done all of you. Others are paying for your brilliant initiatives.

BabyBear
17th Sep 2013, 21:03
skydiver, I think you will find they closed your account as they were not making any money from you, rather than you being a credit risk. If I recall they did what many businessess do; they looked at which customers were not making them money and ditched them, can't say I blame them.:)

BB

skydiver69
17th Sep 2013, 21:27
All these clever ruses to get your satisfaction from pissing off banks, corporations, local authorities, government departments or whatever have the effect of increasing their overheads, which they recover from all users / clients, most of whom do not resort to such puerile tactics.

Well done all of you. Others are paying for your brilliant initiatives.

So we should just sit back an accept any rubbish and trouble these organisations cause us? In my case it might be puerile but in the absence of Egg taking sweet FA notice of my letters to them it was the only small thing I could do to fight back against them.

Mr Chips
17th Sep 2013, 22:15
so the guy in the video goes and is downright rude to the cashier and the duty officer because he is upset about a parking ticket?

Arrogant little cock.

What exactly had those two done to deserve such aggression from him? Wow, he really knows how to stick it to the man...talking about "the corporation" when the sign behind the desk appeared to say City Council.

To$$er

Plazbot
17th Sep 2013, 22:56
As per ER34etc I has a phone bill I overpaid by 6 bucks. I got a statement for years after even though I cancelled the phone. I called them and told them to stop sending it but the chick on the phone said it would keep coming unless I got another phone with them and it would be used as a credit. I moved a few months later and of course did not change my details with them. I assume it still turns up every month.