PDA

View Full Version : Eight weeks off annually

744_FO
13th Sep 2013, 17:37
I'm at a juncture in my aviation career, and am willing to relocate anywhere in the world to satisfy a work condition requirement: To have May 15-July 15 (eight weeks) leave without pay annually, and still fly some nature of jet. Any jet.

I'm willing to secure most any type rating, relocate anywhere, and pay most any price in order to secure a jet position of some nature or another, in order to satisfy this single requirement. Would mean allot to me.

I currently have about 10,000 hrs. TT, typed in a few turbo props, B747-200 and B747-400. I've struggled to answer this question for quite some time, and am wide open to any suggestions or thoughts. Thanks.

M-ONGO
14th Sep 2013, 04:48
Wow.

That's really sad that a 10K 744 driver is willing to purchase their own rating. Please don't depress this sector of aviation any more, pay to fly isn't generally here unlike the airlines.

Good luck, however, in your quest.

Joe le Taxi
14th Sep 2013, 06:34
Why dont you take your limitless pile of cash, take May - July off ...

then take August - April off ...

and leave this profession for people who need to make a living from it! :yuk:

FrankR
14th Sep 2013, 10:03
ouch! you fellas are rather harsh aren't ya?

Isn't it possible to negotiate leave and leave w/o pay with a 744 operation?

Good luck, time off is an important part of well being.

FR

flyboyike
17th Sep 2013, 11:56
May 15th through July 15th is the bulk of summer vacation season. I would imagine it would be tough for a new pilot anywhere to guarantee himself that kind of time off.

JammedStab
24th Sep 2013, 16:19
I might be able to direct you to 6 months off for the summer.

While the rules may be changing for foreigners working here in Canada, Sunwing and Canjet have over the last several years hired direct entry FO's and Captains for the busy winter season. Usually, they are Europeans who are not needed over there for their slow winter period, while everyone here wants to go to Florida and the Caribbean. So these charter carriers expand by a large amount for the winter.

737NG is the aircraft, you might have sim in the summer or groundschool, etc. Not sure of all the details, but you need an 737 NG endorsement and most Canadians who already have one won't leave their present position for this job. And most of the Canadians who want this job don't have a 737NG endorsement.

Still close to home and an easy transition. And what better place to spend the winter. But I believe you will be here ALL winter.