PDA

View Full Version : Bristow to Close Alaska Operations

Keke Napep
13th Sep 2013, 12:46
I'm surprised that nobody has posted this before.

On 3 September the Bristow Senior Vice President Operations, Jeremy Akel announced that Bristow Alaska is to cl0ose down its operations over the coming months.

Bristow currently operates for 3 clients and has informed them that it will not be looking to renew its contracts with them as they come up for renewal between now and next May. The former Managing Director of Nigeria and the GoM operations, Danny Holder, who recently retired will lead a trasition team to oversee the run down.

SASless
13th Sep 2013, 13:49
Air Log Alaska was always an odd outfit in Alaska....dating back to the 1970's even. They had the Pipeline Security Contract as the core of their business and never seemed able to have much success in gaining market share.

ERA was the dominant Helicopter Operator with several other smaller outfits holding various parts of the market due to their location and business connections.

Competition in Alaska is fairly limited due to the difficulty in obtaining Authority to operate there.

Bristow might be able to sell its Certificate for Alaska Operations if they decide to do so.....and another Operator might be able to open shop up there.

Bristow leaving will put ERA in a better position as a result.

meanttobe
7th Oct 2013, 08:09
Bristow Group prepares to quit Alaska | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://helihub.com/2013/10/07/bristow-group-prepare-to-quit-alaska/)

Savoia
7th Oct 2013, 08:24
Well, if someone (or even an organistion) isn't committed to something then, in my view, it is better that they get out. My thoughts however are with those employees affected by this withdrawal.

Hopefully, Bristow's commitments will be eagerly taken-up by local operators who are presumably more committed to the region.

piper-6
13th Oct 2013, 01:32
I hear that Bristow Alaska is ready to sell out to Evergreen (Erickson Sky Crane).

Any one else hear that or anything else.

Rumors are ok.

Whirlygirl665
9th Feb 2014, 21:50
Bristow shutting down doesn't surprise me. Alaska Helicopters, KENAI Helicopters, Transalaska, Northern Pioneer, all shut down, ERA shut their ANC base, and I heard Evergreen is pulling out too.

SASless
9th Feb 2014, 23:53
The Operating Rights are what is valuable.....as it is a limited market.

noooby
10th Feb 2014, 17:47
The Anchorage Base for Era has closed Whirlygirl? I was just there last week, looked like it was full steam ahead to me.

tottigol
10th Feb 2014, 17:58
Just talked to the guys there a few days ago.
Ops normal.