PDA

View Full Version : Windows update problem

radeng
13th Sep 2013, 09:46
Wednesday night, I shut down the box of tricks (a Dell) and it told me not to switch off as it was downloading Windows updates. So off I go to bed and at 0730 Thursday, it tells me that it is downloading number 19 of 24 and not to turn off the computer. At 1230 it is still doing the same......

So I forced a switch off with the power switch. Switched back on and it configured the various updates and worked. Tried powering down, and it got some more updates and powered down. Again on switching on, it configured them, but on powering down, it again went off and tells me that it is down loading two updates and it sticks at update 1 of 2 every time I use the 'soft power down.

So how do I get it to stop trying to get these updates, one of which appears to be corrupted and causing the thing to 'stick'? And perhaps get the updates that are missing?

Running Windows 7 professional .

BOAC
13th Sep 2013, 10:20
If you know which update it is, select 'custom install' and deselect the problem one as a start

first_solo
13th Sep 2013, 11:18
Same here since yesterday keeps coming with 3 updates to be installed. I get the notification that they have been installed, but then they keep coming back. (Updates KB2760411, KB2760588, KB2760583)
I'm running a Windows Vista machine.

BOAC
13th Sep 2013, 12:56
Google says this batch which seems to apply to Excel 2003 and Office 2007 is giving trouble over all Windows OS's. MS seem to be paralysed (again) with multiple reports of the problem and no answers.

ShyTorque
13th Sep 2013, 13:09
My M-i-l's Dell PC did this on Tuesday evening (Windows XP). It took a very long time (enough to cause me some concern), but it finally completed satisfactorily.

radeng
13th Sep 2013, 13:23
BOAC,

THANKS! IT WORKED!!!

BOAC
13th Sep 2013, 13:59
Don't go getting TOO excited, radeng. Wait until tomorrow and I suspect they will all pop their heads up out of the woodwork UNLESS MS get off their fat arses.

Pelikal
13th Sep 2013, 14:24
I'm relieved it isn't just me. My machine went :mad: bananas yesterday.