PDA

View Full Version : Seriously? What could possibly go wrong?

eastern wiseguy
13th Sep 2013, 01:25
Cluster of balloons used in trans-Atlantic attempt - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_24080351/cluster-balloons-used-trans-atlantic-attempt)

Lightning Mate
13th Sep 2013, 07:47
Well, I hope that the people filling the balloons considered expansion at height.

What a silly thing to do. We shall have to keep an eye on the news.

tony draper
13th Sep 2013, 08:05
I believe altitude control is achieved with a air pistol in such vehicles.:uhoh:
Read that in Jane's 'One thousand and one ways to kill yourself'.:rolleyes:

UniFoxOs
13th Sep 2013, 08:56
But then, unless you have been carrying ballast, you would need more balloons to ascend. As the article says he has landed after 24 hours, does thaat mean he is now stuck?

tony draper
13th Sep 2013, 09:04
I suppose he could carry some spare balloons a ball of string and a tank of hydrogen.
:uhoh:

Tankertrashnav
13th Sep 2013, 09:41
Wasn't there some priest who tried this stunt in South America somewhere and was last seen drifting out to sea?

Singing Nearer My God to Thee no doubt!

cattletruck
13th Sep 2013, 09:45
According to the article he is an expert in these lighter than air matters.

So what could go wrong? He may want to move his house to the other side of the Atlantic using the same technique.

tony draper
13th Sep 2013, 11:37
Doesn't seem to be a lot to become a expert in, one drops a bag of sand one rises, one releases some gas one descends,one goes where the wind takes one.
:rolleyes:

beaufort1
13th Sep 2013, 11:40
I see he's timed this well. The first Autumn storm in the offing for the back of the weekend. We should run a sweepstake on how much it's going to cost the rescue services to pull him out of the oggin. :suspect:

angels
13th Sep 2013, 11:41
I don't think they ever found the priest. :eek:

500N
13th Sep 2013, 12:40
Angels

I think you are correct in that. And they found his contraption
months later from memory.

G-CPTN
13th Sep 2013, 12:48
BBC NEWS | Americas | 'Flying' priest's balloons found (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7360416.stm)

On July 4, 2008, the lower part of his body (waist and legs) was found by an offshore oilrig support vessel. It was floating on the sea, about 100 km from Macať, and it was initially identified by the clothing. On July 29, 2008, DNA tests confirmed that it belonged to Adelir de Carli. The comparison was made with DNA samples from the priest's brother.[
From:- Adelir Antonio de Carli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelir_Antonio_de_Carli)

MagnusP
13th Sep 2013, 12:51
His bones were bleached.

He was a victim of bleach of the priest.

tony draper
13th Sep 2013, 13:03
Priests since ancient times were regarded as very bad luck at sea, in the event of the vessel having a priest aboard (always obliged to travel below deck and never ever allowed on the bridge) hitting bad weather a sure fire way of calming the tempest was to fling said priest overboard.
The old ways are always the best.:rolleyes:

Matari
13th Sep 2013, 13:08
Here are links from the balloonist's website:

SPOT Shared Page (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0s4Q04gaaoV9KnJ0UMb7h5b90telngQjv)

https://share.delorme.com/ea79aa8be81346d6bf8159bf95a40f60

Looks like he's enjoying a break in Newfoundland.

G-CPTN
13th Sep 2013, 13:21
Up inspired balloon trip by Jonathan Trappe ends in failure after only 12 hours as France-bound pioneer lands in Newfoudland, Canada | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/13/up-inspired-balloon-trip-ends-in-failure-as-american-pilot-aiming-for-france-only-reaches-canada-after-12-hours-3984838/)

Cacophonix
13th Sep 2013, 13:25
Priests since ancient times were regarded as very bad luck at sea

A bit like nuns on aeroplanes... ;)

Airplane! - R.E.S.P.E.C.T. - YouTube

Caco

radeng
13th Sep 2013, 13:26
Possible applicant (failed) for a Darwin award?

500N
13th Sep 2013, 13:30
radeng

I was thinking the same thing.

When I saw him launching on the news tonight and his "rubber duck"
Zodiac type boat, having been in 12 foot sea in one in Winter which
is nothing like what can occur in the Atlantic, I thought he was nuts.

Cacophonix
13th Sep 2013, 13:31
It appears this fellow has a little more savvy than the defunct priest. He has already crossed the English channel and the Alps with a similarly preposterous balloon setup...

Caco

eastern wiseguy
13th Sep 2013, 14:03
Caco.

I respectfully suggest that the North Atlantic presents a little more of a challenge than 21 miles across the English Channel.
As they say in my part of the world " there's air gettin' in"......

Cacophonix
13th Sep 2013, 14:16
respectfully suggest that the North Atlantic presents a little more of a challenge than 21 miles across the English Channel.

I agree and methinks this fellow might have perceived the folly of this Atlantic crossing idea early enough on this trip to save himself a dunking or an early trip to the pearly gates. I think such rational perception and previous successful though less arduous escapades frees him from being labelled as Darwin Award material.

The priest however had no such qualms and suffused with hubris and celibacy went to his maker without adding to the gene pool and thus is a far more suitable Darwin candidate.

Caco

tony draper
13th Sep 2013, 14:32
I don't think Priest are allowed to swim in the gene pool anyway.:E

Robert Cooper
13th Sep 2013, 14:43
He landed a bit short - in Newfoundland.

Bob C

Flash2001
13th Sep 2013, 15:10
Why the H*** couldn't he use hydrogen? We're running out of helium.

After an excellent landing etc...

tomgallagher
13th Sep 2013, 15:25
Somebody must be in desperate need to get their name in the paper.

Cacophonix
13th Sep 2013, 15:43
Why the H*** couldn't he use hydrogen? We're running out of helium.

Perhaps he was considering the humanity...

Hindenburg disaster - YouTube

Caco

ShyTorque
13th Sep 2013, 18:41
It appears this fellow has a little more savvy than the defunct priest.

Savvy enough to get his publicity without actually the risk of getting over-wet. He flew like Eddie the Eagle. Not as far as initially hoped.

er340790
13th Sep 2013, 20:18
Newfoundland!!! THE LUCKY, LUCKY BAR-STEWARD!!!

I suggest he quits while he's ahead. :ugh:

er340790
13th Sep 2013, 20:20
'A bleach of the priest'

Thanks MagnusP - a classic! (I shall use that!)

Krystal n chips
14th Sep 2013, 04:23
Despite his successful previous launches into the annals of aviation, the nagging thought does occur to those of us with a cynical mind.....which I have in certain circumstances...this being one...... that, possibly this was just a little self publicity junket.

This cynical perspective being based on the fact that he's not entirely daft or incapable.....so why dress for an Atlantic crossing as if you are going to the local supermarket ?......and managing to abort over, erm, dry land.

Ka6crpe
15th Sep 2013, 09:51
Come on you guys, give the man some credit. If two engines are safer than one, and four engines are safer than two, then surely 300 balloons are safer than one engine? :ooh:

Loose rivets
15th Sep 2013, 11:29
.... that, possibly this was just a little self publicity junket.

Good idea. What the heck can I do to promote my book? I know! Sixty-million torches/flashlights shining downwards. Some torches seem so bright these days that you wonder if they'd slow a bicycle down. Yeh, I know. We've done that one.

newfieboy
15th Sep 2013, 15:26
Living right on the water in St Johns Nfld, and seeing first hand what the North Atlantic can be like even this time of year, the guy must be nuts.
Hope my boss don't get any ideas, he is always commenting on the price of airfares to get me home at the end of tours. What someone say the engineers are on a run to Canadian Tire....

fernytickles
15th Sep 2013, 20:29
Flash2001,

If we're so very short of helium, why are there so many of those pointless "occasion" (hatches, matches & possibly even for dispatches) balloons available to us non-balloonists? The only use they have is to inhale the stuff & roll around laughing after calling to dog who looks mightily surprised at the funny voice.

radeng
15th Sep 2013, 21:54
Why are we any more short of helium than hydrogen?

G-CPTN
15th Sep 2013, 22:02
Ongoing Helium Shortage - Impacts on Industry (http://maritime.about.com/od/shipbuilding/a/Helium-Shortages-Are-Coming.htm)

radeng
15th Sep 2013, 22:15
So why isn't hydrogen escaping faster as it's lighter?

The guy is not only a bit of amateur aviator - he's also amateur radio operator,. albeit with lowest and easiest grade to get of licence.

pigboat
15th Sep 2013, 22:32
Perhaps he was considering the humanity...

http://thundernoodle.net/notblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2640789668_48a2a84ddf.jpg

visibility3miles
16th Sep 2013, 03:22
Nice one, pig boat! :D

You can create hydrogen by electrolysis.

You can scoop buckets of helium and hydrogen out of the sun, but that requires a more advanced technology.

etrang
16th Sep 2013, 10:06
So why isn't hydrogen escaping faster as it's lighter?

All single H2 molecules escaped the Earth long ago. Its only the hydrogen that got married to fat oxygen or carbon atoms that is still stuck here.

Windy Militant
16th Sep 2013, 12:53
When the Helium shortage was first mentioned at a meeting here at the lab, some wag suggested that CERN could make some money recycling the vented off gas from the detectors. Once its used it's no longer pure enough for research use but could be used for balloons. Lighter than air and glow in the dark, Seriously? What could possibly go wrong! ;)

HyFlyer
17th Sep 2013, 09:53
Sadly PPRUNE is still awash with too much uniformed claptrap, having read back in this thread.....pity as it would be a lot better place without the substantial uninformed comments..

Mr. Trappe is a serious aviator, taking a pragmatic and 'professional' approach to his flight preparation and planning. He is not a loon in an armchair.

His abort of the Atlantic crossing was based on sound aviation based calculations of his vehicles performance at that moment. It was a well executed abort of a flight.....enabling to assess the mission data and try again later after suitable adjustments to his means of flight.

That is how aviation has developed from day 1. It is how courageous explorers have done new things and how we as a race have developed new skills and capabilities. Who knows how what he is doing now will be useful to us in the future....what the different skills and techniques of multi-balloon flying entails and how such experience may be used or applied in the future? I don't, but am willing to give somebody the benefit of the doubt when I research and find they have a solid and serious approach, and aren't just 'whacko's taking a chance'.

pigboat
17th Sep 2013, 23:56
He is not a loon in an armchair.
Agreed. He's a loon in a boat.;)