PDA

View Full Version : QF Sydney to Dallas reliability

nebpor
11th Sep 2013, 01:17
Booking a trip SYD-IAD and the QF DFW route looks tempting.

However, I remember reading about teething troubles with this route and the fact it appears there is very little wiggle room on fuel due to distance / headwinds.

I cannot find any news on recent reliability (googling brings up quite dated results), which makes it look like there aren't really any problems after all the initial chatter.

Does anyone have any views / news? It looks hugely better than a LAX connection :E

ExXB
11th Sep 2013, 10:24
Try Flightaware.com It's QF/QFA 7

ExXB
12th Sep 2013, 07:03
Or SYD to DFW Historical On-time Performance Rating (http://www.flightstats.co.uk/FlightRating/flightRatingByRoute.do?departureAirportCode=SYD&arrivalAirportCode=DFW&groupByCarrier=false) Flightstats

1 diversion out of last 53 flights, 84% on time performance with an average delay of 15 minutes. Not too bad, I would say.

nebpor
13th Sep 2013, 00:57
Many thanks - I checked flight aware and it all looked good anyway, that's an even better figure you've pulled out!

Here's hoping I survive the boredom .... Sydney to Dubai is normally long enough for me :{

Aus380
19th Sep 2013, 14:59
While DFW is a nicer terminal (at least when I used QF/AA) than LAX unfortunately due to cutbacks when we arrived there were only 4 desks processing immigration for aliens and it took just over two and a half hours resulting in a missed connection. Absolutely no exceptions made for faster processing of pax with connections. So personally I would choose on price and schedule, not to mention A380 over 747 rather than terminal. Unfortunately it seems international arrivals at any US airport are now a nightmare.

nebpor
20th Sep 2013, 00:05
Flying out on Monday, so I'll see if it is bad!

I actually agree with you on plane choice - on the home leg, to avoid a stop-over in Brissy I'm going Dulles->LAX->Sydney on the QF 380.

Leaving LAX cannot be as bad as arriving there :E

pull-up-terrain
20th Sep 2013, 09:39
From a QF Lame's point of view. Flying to Dallas from Sydney, far as I know, it hasn't ever had to stop on the way to get more fuel so you should be fine. However, when flying to Brisbane from Dallas, it does sometimes have to stop via Auckland to get more fuel usually due to strong head winds or expected fog/poor weather in Brisbane.

It depends what time of the year, but I remember a few months back, they always seemed to have a LAME on standby in Auckland ready for the 744ER to divert if it needed to, but at the moment there isn't anyone on standby at Auckland if that suggests anything,

ExXB
20th Sep 2013, 18:52
Of course, since we are talking about it, today's QF7 operated via LAX (non-ER B747-400) arriving 8 hours late. The return QF8 is operating DFW-AKL-BNE-SYD. Last minute equipment substitution as ER aircraft went technical. Not sure of their ER/non-ER mix but needing a specific aircraft for a specific route increases the likely hood of diversions.

Edited to add: although the outbound flight was intended to operate via LAX, on the day it did operate non-stop -possibly setting a record for that version of the B747. On the return NZ destined passengers were allowed to deplane in AKL.

nebpor
21st Sep 2013, 00:32
If I suffer that on Monday, it's going to be a long week ..... :{

Thanks (I think) for the latest intel!

James 1077
21st Sep 2013, 05:23
If it diverts to Auckland then would be good to be allowed off. We're flying AKL to Orlando via Sydney and Dallas at Christmas and coming back via Brisbane (anything to avoid long US domestic flights and LAX); getting diverted to AKL and not being able to get off may be too much!

ExXB
21st Sep 2013, 06:20
That would depend on the time needed to find your luggage and if the customs authorities allow it. Should be possible but ...

nebpor
28th Sep 2013, 23:24
Now I'm back I thought I'd post an update for you.

Syd -> Dallas flawless - lovely new 747 and legroom not bad considering I was up the back. Agreed that the silly 'foot net' things seem a bit pointless, but on reflection maybe they do help.

Arrived at Dallas bang on time, was handed an express pass and allowed to get in front of the (short) customs, baggage and TSA queues to catch my AA connection to Dulles. Compared to QF, AA was very amusing - drole flight attendents telling us to hurry up so we could get "the hell out of dodge" - I liked the dry humour.

AA gave me a 'premium' seat because of the code share it appears as well.

On the way back, took Dulles->LAX on United (horrible airport experience), then crossed terminals to join the QF12 back to SYD on an A380 - lovely as always, albeit another 14 hours 45 mins.

Would do Dallas again no problem I must say - good show from Qantas :ok:

edsbar
2nd Feb 2014, 03:07
Cancelled tonight due tech problem:bored: