PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar "COMFORT PACK"

Alien Role
11th Sep 2013, 00:11
"Comfort Pack and how to increase revenue ??
Speaking to a chap a few days ago whose friends had flown Jetstar from Hawaii - "we will never fly Jetstar again".

Being a warm climate, most passengers board wearing relatively light clothing. Upon boarding they said the cabin temp' was very cold and during the flight many passengers complained about the unusually cold cabin temp'; their requests for the temp' to be increased were seemingly ignored, however they were offered "Comfort packs" which include a blanket - that will be $xx thank you Sir...

One might ask, is it a deliberate "policy" to run the cabin temp' so low that passengers are compelled to buy a comfort pack to remain comfortable?

Any Jetstar crew care to comment...?

Role on ....

Wally Mk2
11th Sep 2013, 00:34
Oh careful 'AR' yr mentioning the 'J' word here & along with that other unmentionable 'Q' word that's a sacred area in which to not tread:-)

One often hears of people being cold on an A/C, I know I feel cold when paxing. Could be due the low eb our bdies go into whilst being squashed in like sardines & unable to move. Also to keep certain species of animals quiet the temp is reduced, there might be a method in their madness:-)
'J' could be onto something here, cunning buggers they are, there will be an Ops notice out for all Airlines soon, keep cabin temp down to improve sales!

Wmk2

pilotchute
11th Sep 2013, 00:52
I watched a backpacker take a "comfort pack" from an overhead locker whilst we were boarding in Darwin. Once we got to cruise altitude the FA asked for $xx as payment. The kid replied "sorry, I thought they were free". The FA nearly blew her top and asked him what airlines give out free blankets? "lots do" was the reply. Well ours aren't free so that will be $xx please. "Don't have any money" was the reply. Credit card? "nope". Kid starts putting comfort pack back into torn plastic bag but the FA just stomped away probably upset she just lost her commission on the sale.

nitpicker330
11th Sep 2013, 01:07
Easy, don't fly Jetstar.........

Simple..

Oh, I find when traveling in J class in our CX A330 that the cabin is sometimes too warm because the crew freeze to death in the galley area and thus turn up the heat!!

This effort to make you pay for a blanket is a joke.

Vote with your feet and fly real Airlines...

myshoutcaptain
11th Sep 2013, 01:13
Even Hawaii requires light warm clothing , if you can't pack sufficient to manage you're own comfort then what hope have we got ... who would have thought aircraft get cold?! :ugh:

nitpicker330
11th Sep 2013, 01:16
They don't have to be cold mate, the crew CAN adjust the temp quite successfully IF they want to. Gee it happens everyday on real Airlines...:ok:

waren9
11th Sep 2013, 01:28
no such policy. comfortable temp is a personal thing. ive seen asian crew in the galley at 26deg with jumpers on with their own comfort pack. ive sat next to fat arse capts who insist on 20deg in the flt deck at 3am

IsDon
11th Sep 2013, 01:45
A good mate of mine and her hubby have a timeshare in Kauai.

They travel to Hawaii frequently, and had always flown Qantas.

On one trip they made the mistake of booking on a flight "operated by Jester". (No that wasn't a typo)

But as they booked a full fare Qantas ticket, they were advised that "comfort packs are complimentary for Qantas code share passengers" as they would have been given those amenities if it were a real Qantas flight.

Well they had possession of said "comfort pack" for about an hour. When they were left unattended for the time it took to go to the rest room, they had pilfered by some bogan that obviously thought theft was a better option than paying. After all, that's probably how they get through their whole miserable lives. A request for a replacement was met with a laugh and a shrug of the shoulders.

End result, these people felt cheated by Qantas for forcing them to fly Jester in the first place and the cabin experience was such that not only will they never fly Jester again, they will also never fly Qantas again. Well done AJ! :ugh:

onetrack
11th Sep 2013, 02:02
Flown Jetstar twice and won't fly with them again. Last horror trip was PER-DEN - 5 hrs late, and lost half a day of our holiday, straight up.
Delay was caused by a part being required, and J didn't keep it on hand in PER - so it meant a city-wide hunt for the part, and a wait on it being delivered.

Fed info about the delay on a drip feed basis - first it was an hour, then it will be another hour, then it will be another hour - and so on. Got a $10 lunch voucher for compo. What kind of lunch can you buy in an airport for $10??
You're struggling to buy a coffee and cake, at airports BOHICA prices!

Paid for 2 meals - we never got them. I don't think the CC handed out any meals, full stop. By the time we realised the meals weren't forthcoming, it was too late to ask where they were, anyway.

Paid for priority boarding - never got it. Boarding was a mad scramble on a par with Greek ferries.

Got onto J's CS Dept operative - who was a grovelling, apologetic individual who said sorry about 50 times.
Sorry isn't good enough! - get your managers to get their act together - and get them to provide a good level of satisfactory service - which is what they're supposed to be providing, seeing as they are a service business!

Grovelling CSO provides compensation - in the form of 2 x $50 vouchers - towards another 2 x J tickets!! Not gunna happen. It's not like J has super-cheap-can't-miss-this fares - I could have flown any one of 4 other carriers for the same price.
The reason I picked J was the timing of the flight. As it happened, the whole of my planning went out the window, as soon as J couldn't keep up their end of the deal.

As far as the part stocking goes - aircraft are machines. Machines break down regularly and require parts. Good managers know what parts are likely to be required, and keep them on hand to minimise delays.
What is happening with J is that highly-educated people with possibly a range of dazzling economics degrees - but no experience in the aircraft maintenance and operation field, and excellent customer service delivery - are running an airline.

It's a recipe for disaster, and J's list of disgruntled and dissatisfied customers is growing ever-larger on a daily basis. The web feedback about J's performance is nothing short of dismal.

Ollie Onion
11th Sep 2013, 02:10
Once again this is NOT a policy.

Mr.Buzzy
11th Sep 2013, 02:27
Maybe it's not policy but it IS believable.

Bbzbzbzbzzbzbzzbzbzbzzzzzzz

Wally Mk2
11th Sep 2013, 02:44
"1track" I feel for yr upsetting experience, that would leave a nasty taste in anyone's mouth regardless of what carrier it was.
The biggest issue here with 'service' or the lack of it is cost, meaning the ticket cost was cheap. In order to offer such cheap tickets (& lets face it compared to many years ago flying is dirt cheap now) something has to give. Got to keep the overheads down & that extends from paying for every extra possible (bit like user pays)to paying bare min wages all the way thru to keeping the min of spares (which cost money to do so) on the shelf 'just in case'.
I recall many years ago flying spare parts around the country late at night due AOG at some out-port base that would have cost a fortune to get the part there such as a tech crews seat belt that was written up & snagged due fraying but still cheaper (so it the mangers thought) than keeping many spares on the shelf spread all over the countryside.

I've said many a time the Airlines are their worst own enemies, they cut each others throats unmercifully in order to make a buck for the CEO's & all the other hanger-oner's that languish in the now a dirty business called aviation!

EVERYTHING boils down to COST, want the OTP to be 100%, want the free drinks, want the free 'comfort packs' want want want, you will pay for it as the good 'ole days of prosperity in aviation are a long way behind us now.

At the grass roots level all the Airlines are the same despite the trying efforts of the crew, they can only 'give' what they have at their disposal & that these days is very little!
I truly feel for the CC as their job would have to be one of the hardest jobs around trying to deal with disgruntled pax & being pulled in every direction all because their employers show it 'should' work on paper!:ugh:

Airline managers live in an insulated world far removed from the real world.

Wmk2

myshoutcaptain
11th Sep 2013, 03:36
Wally Mk 2 :D

*Lancer*
11th Sep 2013, 04:48
If you want better service, fly on a full service carrier - simple as that. Want a cheap ticket? Well, you get what you pay for! Not having available spares is a feature of many airlines, as are occasionally unhelpful crew.

I pack a jumper, and I'm the one setting the temperature.

dragon man
11th Sep 2013, 05:16
Go to dontflyjetstar.com for a great read. Pretty well somes up what is wrong with them.

neville_nobody
11th Sep 2013, 05:17
I think its the people who have bought QF tickets have a right to be upset. Big difference between QF 330 and a Jetstar one

Metro man
11th Sep 2013, 05:38
Exactly my thoughts, however before complaining about low cost airlines remember they help keep fares down by providing competition and they keep the bongans out of the economy cabins of full service airlines by drawing them away with a $15 cost saving.

Many A320/B737 drivers would still be stuck in GA or regionals if it wasn't for low cost carriers.

I fly for a low cost but generally travel full service when I go on holiday as I can afford the extra. Stretching out in a wide body cabin with drinks, meals, entertainment and a decent luggage allowance beats being crammed in like sardines in a narrow body.

Cactusjack
11th Sep 2013, 05:51
As usual it's 'buyer beware'. Pay a few hundred bucks for a LCC flight and you get what you paid for. I can't believe these discussions keep cropping up, seriously. Pay $10k and fly business class Legacy if you don't want to pay for an extra kilo of luggage, eat a ****ty ham sandwich, get cold nipples or sit with somebody's knees up your anus. Simple really.
I'm not picking at JQ here as personally I think they are a crap outfit. But usually they are cheap. I recently flew Cairns/Japan/Cairns for under $400. Awful service, awful plane, standard delay and busted seats and inflight equipment was the order of the day, but it was cheap!!!! And I wanted cheap, so it was perfect! I knew what I was going to get as far as quality goes and who cares when it is $400. Had I wanted a free blanky, chocolates, copious leg room and Wagyu beef I would have paid top dollar to go business class with a more reputable full service provider, simple.

It's a choice thing. Not that hard.

Metro man
11th Sep 2013, 06:44
Each year I fly the full range from legacy business to low cost depending on the situation.

If I'm on a long overnight flight with time zone changes, then I'm looking for a business class seat.

Shorter night flight or about seven hours day time, then economy on a good airline, 4* or 5* SKYTRAX will do and I'll save the money over flying business.

Up to four hours of day flying then a low cost will do, IF the saving over full service is worthwhile and the conditions or restrictions are acceptable. I'm doing a low cost trip next week, time isn't critical, I'll take my own food and IPAD. Also paid for the first row seats with more leg room so I'm not crammed into a middle seat at the back. I'll be comfortable, watch and eat what I like and be first off the plane.

hoss
11th Sep 2013, 07:46
Just walk down the street and ask 5 people about jetstar and at least 1 will have a similar story to those mentioned above.

I can't believe they are still in business.

Joker89
11th Sep 2013, 09:39
Or just pack a farkin jumper in your excessive carry on.

Icarus2001
11th Sep 2013, 09:52
I'll take my own food Luckily Jetstar seem to allow that.

Get on board | Jetstar (http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/planning-and-booking/travelling-with-kids/flying-with-jetstar/get-on-board#Feeding the family)

I know Air Asia "do not allow" you to bring your own food. Of course people do and also of course the same flights attendants who do nothing when passengers leap out of their seats at the bay before the belt sign goes off also do nothing about people bringing their own food.

AskAirAsia - Can I bring my own food on board? (http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do;jsessionid=A0312A722F513BBAAB2A495C3DB64C4B.tomc at5?id=56&name=Can+I+bring+my+own+food+on+board%3f)

Tiger says no...https://www.tigerair.com/au/en/faqs.php

Kiwiconehead
11th Sep 2013, 09:58
It's a case of dressing for the occasion - I have always been a fan of long sleeves and long pants for long haul - and still I can get cold.

That's flying in and out of places like Malaysia and Philippines.

TWT
11th Sep 2013, 10:05
Lucky I took my thermals to Singapore too.The hotel room aircon was set to 'deep freeze' with no adjustment possible.As Baden-Powell said 'Be Prepared' !

Icarus2001
11th Sep 2013, 10:13
Well he would get cold wouldn't he?

http://www.thepunch.com.au/images/uploads/westie.jpg

This would be much warmer.

http://www.abfab.co.uk/260x382/2384-wartime-fighter-pilot-aviator-fancy-dress.jpg

cart_elevator
11th Sep 2013, 11:59
I am assuming they were flying on an ex-QF A330.

I doubt it would be policy to try and sell more blankets.

The FAAA, the QF OH&S people and engineering have been in constant battles about the cabin temperatures on the A330 aircraft, ever since they entered service. The particular problem areas are around the galleys and anywhere within a few rows of exits. Something to do with the placement of bulkheads affecting the air-conditioning flow (I was once told by an engineer). Some zones of the A330's eg J/C are always too hot, some zones are always too cold.

It was the reason that QF allowed cabin crew to wear their own knitwear, as it could not be resolved (and the OH&S department had to allow crew to wear something warm, yet QF would not supply knitwear - typical :ugh:).

I recently paxed on a CX A330 in J/C, I have never been in such a high temperature in an aircraft cabin in my life, it honestly made me feel sick :eek:

That's why I say: "If it's not Boeing - I'm not going" LOL :}

Tidbinbilla
11th Sep 2013, 14:05
Does this really fall into the category of professional pilot news?
I don't think so. :ugh: