PDA

View Full Version : Transferring internal memory to an SD card

jackieofalltrades
10th Sep 2013, 16:24
I'm hoping somebody can help me with an memory storage issue I have.

I have a Sony Xperia Android phone, updated to Android 4.1.2.
Recently I received notification the internal memory was over 75% full, so installed an SD card with the aim of transferring pictures and music from the internal memory to the SD card. The phone started doing this initially, but then froze after 11% done.

After rebooting I cannot find any way to transfer the files to the SD card. I've looked everywhere I can find in the phone, and connected it to my computer with the aim of using Windows Explorer to move the files. However, even though the computer 'sees' the SD card, it won't transfer anything onto it.

I've done many a google search, and tried various options I've seen on the Android forums, but none work so far.

Anybody have any tips/suggestions?
Thanks

crewmeal
10th Sep 2013, 18:56
I too have a Sony Xperia Z with 4.2.2 JB. If I transfer movies to the 32gb mico card I go to settings > Xperia Personal > USB connectivity - plug in my Macbook and add the movies direct from file to the micro card. With windows if you go to USB connectivity you should have bothe the phone and micro card in 'my computer'. Hope this helps.

Ancient Observer
11th Sep 2013, 14:54
I'm pc ignorant, but I have to say that once my android is connected up to my Win 7 Home Prem, normally using usb as it is easier, Explorer always sees both the phone and the card in it.
Maybe you need to reformat the card if crewmeal's solution doesn't work.
Also, not all cards are created equal. I've had to chuck a couple of cheapies from the big Brazilian river.

jackieofalltrades
17th Sep 2013, 17:29
Thanks for the answers. After a number of efforts trying, I've finally been able to get the computer to recognise both the internal memory and SD card via Windows Explorer and transferred the files that way.

I'm still a little baffled as to why it didn't permit transfer to the SD card even though it could 'see' it for the first few attempts. But it works now, so I shall just be grateful at that.