PDA

View Full Version : RAF Fylingdales : 50th Anniversary

CoffmanStarter
10th Sep 2013, 13:48
I thought this might interest a few PPRuNers ...

For 50 years RAF Fylingdales' mission has been to provide an early warning system of a ballistic missile attack for the Western world.

A brief look at the history and current operations from the BBC ...

BBC iPlayer : Inside Out Yorkshire & Lincolnshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b039vgvd/Inside_Out_Yorkshire_and_Lincolnshire_09_09_2013/)

iPlayer Expiry Date 16/09/13

Best ...

Coff.

CROSSO
10th Sep 2013, 18:56
Great quote in the opening presentation. "We go behind the scenes in the controversial listening station".

More BBC bull***t unless it's changed since I was there.

CoffmanStarter
10th Sep 2013, 19:29
Hi Crosso ...

I deliberately "tuned out" at that comment ... But not a bad little piece otherwise.

Coff.

thing
10th Sep 2013, 19:58
Still miss the golfballs. Used to get a tanner as a kid for being the first one to spot them on the way to Whitby when they were new. That block sided thing looks like a bit of Lego.

DeepestSouth
10th Sep 2013, 22:17
Thanks for posting this! Many memories of a tour there - not least interviewing an absolutely cracking young lady for a civvie clerical post in 1976. Didn't give her the job but later that year she became Mrs DS and still is, nearly 37 years later! Thank you, Fylingdales!

DS

CoffmanStarter
11th Sep 2013, 06:54
What a wonderful story DS ... congratulations to you both :ok:

AtomKraft
11th Sep 2013, 23:02
I remember the golf balls too.

That pyramid shaped phased array thingy looks a lot like the 'MSR'- that's 'Missile Site Radar' which was used in the old 'Safeguard' ABM system. That's the one with the Sprint and Spartan missiles.

Thing is, the MSR was hardened against nuke attack- and was reckoned to be able to operate during such an attack.:uhoh:

Is that pyramid structure in Yorkshire hardened like the MSR? or is it just a flimsy phased array 'PAR'?

Heathrow Harry
12th Sep 2013, 11:27
only dealt with them once - we were operating some kit that was very sensitive to EM emmisions not far away from them - they couldn't have been more helpful but I had the disinct impression they were bored stiff.......................

EngAl
12th Sep 2013, 20:15
Thing - You're not the only one to miss the golfballs. Apparently when they were first proposed the locals were up in arms - "They would be an eyesore, and the radar would fry sheep on the moors and cause birds to plummet from the sky". Then when the "bit of lego" (full title - 3 faced solid state phased array radar - SSPAR) was proposed and it became known that under the terms of the ABM treaty the golfballs would have to go when the SSPAR became operational the locals where up in arms again! "You can't get rid of our landmark - tourist attraction, etc".
AK, I don't know it the SSPAR is hardened, I'd moved on when it came along. Perhaps someone else will know, probably it isn't as an attack on it would be part of the warning we're seeking?

Heathrow Harry
13th Sep 2013, 16:14
I always understood that any attack on a BMEWS (or its Russian equivalent) would be taken as de facto evidence that a full strike was on the way................

Cornerstone958
13th Sep 2013, 17:26
Posted there in 66 met Mrs CS married in 67 and still can't escape!