PDA

View Full Version : PBY Catalina/Canso at SCL, Santiago, Chile?

pithblot
10th Sep 2013, 08:05
During the landing roll, as a bleary-eyed passenger, at SCL recently I saw a large, twin-engine, flying boat in the back of a hanger. It was white, appeared to be in good condition and my guess is it is a Catalina or Canso.

Sorry I can't give much detail about the hanger, or even the runway we used. There were B200s and corporate jets parked on the adjacent apron and LAN aircraft nearby. The hanger doors were closed as we taxied past some hours later.

Does anyone have some information about this aircraft?

Thanks,

PITHBLOT

semperfubar
12th Sep 2013, 19:59
Google translate

Museo Nacional Aeronáutico y del Espacio - Actividades (http://www.museoaeronautico.cl/espanol/actividades.php?n=645)

And here

Way across the Atlantic in Chile, Alvaro Romero reports that the ASPAR PBY-5A Catalina CC-CDT, currently on lease to IBCH, is flying again and was recently moved from its former base at Los Cerrillos to Santiago’s Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport for display at the FIDAE 2006 display. It duly appeared on static display at that event at the end of March and the beginning of April. CC-CDT was returned by ship to Chile from Portugal a year or so back after its tenure as a fire fighter in Europe came to an end.

ASPAR’s derelict Catalina CC-CGY, for many years stored in the open at Los Cerrillos and used a source of spares for the ASPAR fleet, was donated to the Chilean Air Force Museum a while back and, in the early part of this year was restored to static display standard. The change has been incredible and it is now painted to commemorate the Chilean Air Force Catalina serial 405 Manutara. The official unveiling is due later this year. I plan to provide a more detailed update on Chilean Catalinas in our September edition.

http://www.catalina.org.uk/images/news/wcn-may06/Photo18.jpg

AndersA
4th Nov 2017, 23:54
During the landing roll, as a bleary-eyed passenger, at SCL recently I saw a large, twin-engine, flying boat in the back of a hanger. It was white, appeared to be in good condition and my guess is it is a Catalina or Canso.

Sorry I can't give much detail about the hanger, or even the runway we used. There were B200s and corporate jets parked on the adjacent apron and LAN aircraft nearby. The hanger doors were closed as we taxied past some hours later.

Does anyone have some information about this aircraft?

Thanks,

PITHBLOT

Hi, as I left SCL on Nov 3rd 2017 on AC092 bound for EZE, the aircraft was still there; seemingly in good condition, parked outside between what seemed to be the FBO area and the military C-130/KC-135 apron.

pithblot
22nd May 2018, 11:24
Thank you, everyone, for your input.

What an interesting history this old aeroplane has - I bet it could tell a tale or two!

It's great to hear that she is being looked after by the owners.

Safe Flying :ok:

Pithblot.

bcpr
23rd May 2018, 17:39
Google satellite image from

-33.3893406,-70.7902514

Bruce