PDA

View Full Version : 34L SY

SHVC
10th Sep 2013, 07:32
Anyone have any info as to why 34L was closed today around 14:00 local? something on the ATIS saying pavement damage.

Altimeters
10th Sep 2013, 07:56
Untied 840 or 870 one of the two burst a tyre on take off apparently.

spelling_nazi
10th Sep 2013, 11:53
Ill tell you why as I reported it to tower who then closed the runway!

Sitting at hold point to 34L an A380 took off and as It passed Lima it looked like someone detonated the runway under the right hand wing!

I waited for tower to say something but silence so I reported what I saw.

They told a 747 on approach to go round and sent a car to look. He reported back "pavement failure , runway will need to be closed immediately" or words to that effect

I tells ya huge door sized pieces of tarmac were thrown about 20 feet into the air! It was spectacular!

About 5 min mark
0330 utc
http://www.liveatc.net/listen.php

Joker89
10th Sep 2013, 21:32
Talk about thread drift!!!

Thanks nazi, was wondering what they meant by pavement failure. Doesn't sound like something that could be fixed in a matter of hours though.

spelling_nazi
10th Sep 2013, 23:02
Damage was outside the edge lights so perhaps a cosmetic patch up was sufficient . But jeez it was spectacular!

Mick Stuped
10th Sep 2013, 23:26
Starting to wonder if some of our old runways not up to the A380. Seems to be increasing reports world wide of pavement failures, Dubai closing runways due to works early next year.

With the intro of the A380 looked like lots of runways had widening and other work done to accommodate them however really is the basic infrastructure really good enough to take the increased loadings as more A380's come online.

Will we see more airports closed due to major runway refurbishments in the coming few years?

outnabout
12th Sep 2013, 01:33
Spelling Nazi:

In your opinion, from what you witnessed, do you believe that there was significant damage to the tarmac?

I see on today's notams 34L has acquired a displaced threshold.

AIP DEP AND APCH (DAP) EAST YSSY AMD
DUE TO DISPLACED THR RWY 34L

AerocatS2A
12th Sep 2013, 02:39
There is nearly always a displaced threshold during curfew. A displaced threshold would only be significant if it was outside of curfew hours.

Tidbinbilla
12th Sep 2013, 02:47
That feels better :) Back on topic, thanks :)

hiwaytohell
12th Sep 2013, 03:12
It would be interesting to see some pics, and understand if it was A380 damage?

I seem to recall many years ago some engineers blew two swimming pool size holes in a taxiway at YBBN, (part of the old airport), doing an extended full power run in a B767

spelling_nazi
12th Sep 2013, 04:13
Definitely a380 damage . But luckily none to the aircraft. Believe me I witnessed it and it looked like TNT had been detonated

http://avherald.com/h?article=468459bf&opt=0

Ps I appear to be two separate aircraft in that report.