PDA

View Full Version : Mac question regarding printer sharing

Sunnyjohn
9th Sep 2013, 18:05
I have two desktop Macs served via a Netgear router which is fed by a Thompson modem supplied by the ISP via cable. I have two printers, a B/W Brother laser and a Canon inkjet. Is there any way I can arrange for each of the printers to print when only one computer is online? At the moment, the Brother will, because I've managed to download the software for it on both machines, but, for some reason, I have been unable to do this for the Canon, so it only works when both are online. I think the reason for the difficulty with the Canon software is because one machine is using Lion and the other Mountain Lion and for personal reasons I wish to keep them that way.

Saab Dastard
9th Sep 2013, 19:34
Get a dedicated wired (or wireless) print server. You may be able to drive both printers off a single print server, depending on the model. Then you can install the correct printer drivers for each printer on each version of the OS.

SD

mixture
9th Sep 2013, 19:50
What Saab said... get a print server (or a printer with a built-in print server).

OS X comes with many built-in drivers, so unlike what Saab said, you may not have to install drivers.

Sunnyjohn
9th Sep 2013, 21:37
Thanks to both of you. Just ordered one from Amazon.es.