PDA

View Full Version : Baggage tracker

Basil
9th Sep 2013, 16:05
Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a baggage tracker using cellphone node triangulation or GPS?

mixture
9th Sep 2013, 16:52
Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a baggage tracker using cellphone node triangulation or GPS?

Such a thing doesn't exist, or if it does, it's the world's most pointless invention:

(a) Baggage tends to spend a lot of its time indoors ... so you've got the fun and games of lack of signal coverage for cells and urban canyons for GPS
(b) What happens when the battery runs out
(c) I believe most airlines are not too keen on battery operated kit being put in the hold
(d) Who's going to pay your roaming bill for the cell usage ?

Need I say more ? Basically you're wasting your time, money and the earth's resources on procuring such a gadget.

Just go get yourself one of those good old fashioned plastic/metal luggage tags instead (oh, and some decent travel insurance too).

Technology has its place in this world, but sometimes traditional options are more reliable.

Basil
9th Sep 2013, 17:33
Thank you for your thoughts, mixture.
It is not for me; I was asked to research such devices.
I can assure you that they do exist using both nav techniques which I mentioned.
One uses an accelerometer to switch off before t/o and on again after landing.

As I said, if anyone has personal experience of these I would be grateful for comment.

Sunnyjohn
9th Sep 2013, 17:43
Indeed they do:
How does T work without GPS Tracking Technologies?
T employs newly patented micro-electronics and ground-based cellular telephone technologies to track and report its position on the ground even while inside metal containers, such as cars, hardened suitcases, and parked aircraft.
I've edited out the name. There are quite a few on the market. Just google baggage tracker.

Basil
9th Sep 2013, 18:18
Sunnyjohn, I'd looked at the one you mention but read some less than sparkling comments about it but it may be one of those I'll suggest based on its location method.

mixture
9th Sep 2013, 19:40
I can assure you that they do exist

As I implied in my original post, I don't care if they exist or not.... its (one of) the world's most pointless inventions for the reasons I listed, and more.

Think I've made my point though. So I'll leave you in dreamland.

RevMan2
10th Sep 2013, 05:53
I use QR code stickers on and in my luggage which point to an email address and mobile phone number when scanned with a smartphone.
They're my braces to the airline's baggage tag belt.

Basil
10th Sep 2013, 07:41
RM2, thanks for the suggestion.
I'm helping the PA to an MD do some tracker research. I'll mention the QR sticker, esp if the company already uses them, as an interim measure but I think he wants a tracker. I don't think that I, personally, could be bothered to use one and they all seem to have negative points. I just put a yellow band around my checked baggage for ID.
I don't want to recommend something which doesn't work and get the PA told off, hence my posting.

Bas - PA to the PA to the MD ;)

PAXboy
10th Sep 2013, 13:31
I spent 27 years Telecommunications and IT. I had my fair share of time trying to sort out gagdgets for MDs and CEOs! :p

I won't bore you with examples but I started to notice a patten: They had just returned from the USA and had been chatting to pals there or the PA presented me with a page of a colour magazine (often an In Flight Mag) that showed the 'thing'. :mad:

Some of them were sensible and some were not but that made no difference! :rolleyes:

Heathrow Harry
10th Sep 2013, 14:48
there was a great Dilbert comic strip a couple of years back on that very subject

Basil
10th Sep 2013, 16:48
Thank you, chaps.
I may just suggest the one to which Sunnyjohn alluded plus one other so it's his decision.
Now researching office colour laser multipurpose printer/scanner/copier for "£500".
I rather think "In yer dreams". :hmm:

HH, This one?

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/30000/1000/900/31968/31968.strip.gif

. . or this :E

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/10000/2000/500/12515/12515.strip.gif

With acknowledgement to Scott Adams

MarkerInbound
10th Sep 2013, 17:22
I use QR code stickers on and in my luggage which point to an email address and mobile phone number when scanned with a smartphone.

They're my braces to the airline's baggage tag belt.

Luddite that I am, why not just include the email address and number in the luggage tag and in the luggage.

Braces and a belt don't go together.

PAXboy
10th Sep 2013, 17:35
A possible reason for using a QR code: It's fast and easy for the finder to contact you. With the increasing prevalence of smart phones, it lessens the burden of effort to locate you to say that your bag has been located.

Basil
12th Sep 2013, 17:45
He's gone for a Trakdot which is, I think, the one to which Sunnyjohn alluded.
I'll report back in a couple of weeks. Thank you for all the comments.

Sunnyjohn
12th Sep 2013, 21:03
It was indeed. I wasn't sure whether Pprune allows one to mention proprietary names.