PDA

View Full Version : Mount Isa Routes

onyxcrowle
8th Sep 2013, 22:01
Hi guys I live in the UK so am unfamiliar with routes etc over there Im hoping to visit but im told that even on Virgin ticket prices to Mount Isa are high.
My friend there suggested either Quantas from Brisbane or Virgin.
Or Direct to Darwin from the Uk I didnt think Darwin had international flights let alone Uk flights.
So are there any available or up and coming?.
How come jetstar dont operate to Isa?.
Surely if fairs and demand is high folk would welcome a few routes there.
Are there any other new routes to Isa coming up?
And what of international stuff.
It seems like a rich mining and seems to have plenty of touristy spots.
Am I right in thinking theres an underground hotel?.
And one final question. Id really like to surprise visit. Does the airport have onsite car hire?.
I found its Website lacking.
Thanks in advance for any info and advice.
Oh n I forgot any decent reasonable price hotels there?.
My pal is in Miles st east

ad-astra
8th Sep 2013, 23:15
Hi guys I live in the UK so am unfamiliar with routes etc over there Im hoping to visit but im told that even on Virgin ticket prices to Mount Isa are high.
Fares are as low as $300 up to Isa and $400 return. Does appear Virgin is cheaper than Qantas but webjet or similar is your friend.
Or Direct to Darwin from the Uk I didnt think Darwin had international flights let alone Uk flights.
Darwin has International flights to asia but I don't think the market would support UK direct to Mitchel Steet.
Rex also fly Townsville to Mount Isa. Others will most likely offer some advice
Qantas had the monopoly as The Isa is a 'company town'. Mount Isa Mining (MIM) had all their conbtracts with Qantas and may still do but things have changed over the last few years and Qantas would not be interestted in discounting a very profitable route that they have a strong prescence on.
Fares are high but volumes would be low. Loads are atifically high due to the number of services offered being limited.
Someone else can offer an opinion - EastwestLoco???
To Isa? No
You may be thinking of Coober Pedy in South Australia.
And one final question. Id really like to surprise visit. Does the airport have onsite car hire?.
Yes. Try the usuals Avis, Thrifty, Europcar....Google is your friend.
Google is your friend. http://www.outbackatisa.com.au/ (http://www.outbackatisa.com.au/)
Google is going to get a work out again.
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g255339-Mount_Isa_Queensland-Hotels.html

Capt Claret
8th Sep 2013, 23:29
Air North operate Darwin - Isa - Gold Coast & return.

onyxcrowle
9th Sep 2013, 00:32
Fares are as low as $300 up to Isa and $400 return. Does appear Virgin is cheaper than Qantas but webjet or similar is your friend.
Darwin has International flights to asia but I don't think the market would support UK direct to Mitchel Steet.
Rex also fly Townsville to Mount Isa. Others will most likely offer some advice
Qantas had the monopoly as The Isa is a 'company town'. Mount Isa Mining (MIM) had all their conbtracts with Qantas and may still do but things have changed over the last few years and Qantas would not be interestted in discounting a very profitable route that they have a strong prescence on.
Fares are high but volumes would be low. Loads are atifically high due to the number of services offered being limited.
Someone else can offer an opinion - EastwestLoco???
To Isa? No
You may be thinking of Coober Pedy in South Australia.
Yes. Try the usuals Avis, Thrifty, Europcar....Google is your friend.
Google is your friend. http://www.outbackatisa.com.au/ (http://www.outbackatisa.com.au/)
Google is going to get a work out again.
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g255339-Mount_Isa_Queensland-Hotels.html

Thank you very much for the advice :)

topdrop
9th Sep 2013, 08:00
Skytrans operate Cairns Mt Isa Mon to Fri. Fares are from $229 to $600 each way depending on what's already sold.

Metro man
9th Sep 2013, 09:13
Prices in Mt Isa are based on a miners pay packet which is way above the Australian average, add in the premium for a remote area and it's not cheap. Can be a good outback experience, probably not worth a special trip but alright if you are going there anyway.

A 4WD trip from Isa to Karumba for a weekends fishing would show you some real Australian bush, but don't try it in the wet season. I think there is a mine tour available if you're interested in going underground.

You could get to Isa from the UK with Singapore Airlines/Silk Air to Darwin and a domestic flight onwards or BA/Cathay via Hong Kong into Cairns. Northern Australia is best visited in the dry season, wet season is unpleasantly hot and humid with cyclones and thunderstorms.

wombat watcher
9th Sep 2013, 10:22
If the friend you are going to surprise is actually in the town of Miles in south east Qld, look forward to a long drive from Mt Isa to surprise him/her. It is like catching a flight to Glasgow to surprise your friend in Cornwall. Brisbane is the airport to drive to Miles.

Capt Claret
9th Sep 2013, 10:30
If the friend you are going to surprise is actually in the town of Miles in south east Qld, look forward to a long drive from Mt Isa to surprise him/her. It is like catching a flight to Glasgow to surprise your friend in Cornwall. Brisbane is the airport to drive to Miles.

Wombat watcher, ya wombat :p he can always just drive to Miles St in Isa, 2 streets east of the river. ;)

wombat watcher
9th Sep 2013, 11:15
Well there you go! I just didn't want him flying to the Isa and driving to Miles.
I would have thought that no street in the Isa is long enough to have an east or west section.