PDA

View Full Version : bare faced cheek

rans6andrew
8th Sep 2013, 16:38
this afternoon I saw something move, out of the corner of my eye, while I was reading the paper. When I looked around it was gone. A few minutes later it caught my eye and I looked again I saw a big brown rat cross the patio and disappear behind a large pot with a tree planted in. In broad daylight, cheek of it!

Must stop scattering food for the wildlife around.

Meantime, is there a good way to deter the rats that doesn't endanger the birds, the hedgehogs, the red kites or the foxes we like to see in the garden?

I might rig up some live traps and deport them. I might just have another look in the gun shop when we are next in town.

Rans6.........

Ancient Observer
8th Sep 2013, 16:47
When you've fixed that, you can have all the red kites from South Bucks. They kill more local birds than all the cats combined.
Having said that, I think we are stuck with the rats around where I live. However, they do not have the pure cheek that your Berks have.

Airborne Aircrew
8th Sep 2013, 16:54
.22 air rifle... They can be challenging targets unless you catch them feeding. :ok:

VP959
8th Sep 2013, 16:55
Get a decent air rifle and enjoy the battle of wits that is trying to shoot rats.

Our old farm used to have plenty of rats around in the old pig pens, which had been built from low concrete block walls inside an old cob walled barn. The rats lived in the gap between the cob wall and the concrete block walls of the pens and would climb up, run along the top of the block walls and then dive back down the gap. Shooting them was like being at the fairground; one would have to sit still for ages waiting for a rat to pop up, then quickly bring the gun to bear and try to despatch it. Needless to say the odds of hitting one were on a par with the fairground shooting gallery, too, but as a lad it kept me amused for a few hours.

My younger brother had a different way of dealing with them. He'd rig an old milk churn at an angle, with a bit of gutter leading in to the mouth of it, then stick some bait in the churn and wait for a rat to slide into the churn and find that it couldn't climb back out. His "entertaining" way of despatching the rat in the churn was to drop one of his ferrets in and watch the ensuing battle. There is nothing that fights quite so ferociously as a cornered rat, except, perhaps, for a cornered ferret.

fenland787
8th Sep 2013, 16:58
Get a Lurcher or three, seemed to do the trick for me!
They also seem to get rid of cats, wabbits, muntjac deer, hedghogs, possums, gnu and possibly dragons - leastwise I ain't seen any of the above since they arrived.

Big Hammer
8th Sep 2013, 17:02
More of a challenge with a .22 air pistol!

BlankBox
8th Sep 2013, 18:09
...build a widget to electrocute the sucker...our 115v works quite well ...so your 220v should really light up his life...

I used a square 2 litre milk carton to make mine...

Airborne Aircrew
8th Sep 2013, 18:20
Big Hammer:

Agreed... :ok:

handsfree
8th Sep 2013, 18:22
I just fed the local fox for a while.
Spotted the vixen carrying the rats off, stopped feeding the foxes and now have neither fox or rat problems.

Big Hammer
8th Sep 2013, 18:26
AA, I got a BSA scorpion which of course is not modified in any way! :O What you got?

Airborne Aircrew
8th Sep 2013, 18:34
Big Hammer:

Ouch, nice a PCP... I have a Nitro piston. Benjamin Trail NP in .22.

http://www.airarmsports.com/images/BT9M22WNP_1.jpg

It's very picky on pellet and hold but once you find the combination it likes it's lovely.

4mastacker
8th Sep 2013, 19:09
Apparently peanut butter or a piece of chocolate used as bait on a trap is quite effective - certainly works for meeces.

Airborne Aircrew
8th Sep 2013, 19:13
4Mastacker:

The problem with that over here in the USA is we have these cute little things called Chipmunks... In a "healthy" back garden you'll find lots of them. Traps like that are indiscriminate and rats are too smart to walk into the humane traps. Shooting is the way to go...

Mac the Knife
8th Sep 2013, 20:11
You'll have better luck with a .410

Mac

:ok:

Big Hammer
8th Sep 2013, 20:44
Mac, that is how we got our gun licenses. Guy comes round and asks why we wanted them so we showed him the chicken runs. Just been fed and was a mass of brown bodies. He asked how we were keeping them down so we showed him the air weapons. Oh, doing it the hard way then, no probs. License granted!

PS, at the time I was a member of HM Forces so was carrying weapons as a usual thing then anyway.

Tankertrashnav
8th Sep 2013, 21:47

You certainly will - I'm a lousy shot but I've never missed a rat yet with my .410

Over the years I find I am less inclined to get the gun out out as I know I'm going to have to clean it afterwards, so these days unless they get too cheeky I work on the live and let live principle. The rats live in an old Cornish hedge (basically a stone wall in filled with earth) and quite frankly as long as they dont start coming in the house I'm inclined to leave them alone. There's a lot of paranoia about rats (plague, etc), and I admit I wouldnt fancy handling one, but as long as they keep their distance I tend to leave them alone

Airborne Aircrew
8th Sep 2013, 22:03
TTH:

and I admit I wouldnt fancy handling one, but as long as they keep their distance I tend to leave them alone

Handling them is a bad idea... The little bastards have no compunction about biting... They hurt too... Much easier shooting them..

N707ZS
8th Sep 2013, 22:14
Look and see if you have a broken man hole cover anywhere near your garden. Once saw a rat in the garden and found the cement was broken around the top of a man hole in a neighbours garden. Bit of pointing with new cement and they were sealed in.

Hydromet
8th Sep 2013, 22:36
Caught one in a cat trap once. If you catch something you don't want to get rid of, just let it go. If you catch a rat or other vermin, you can shoot or poison it.

UniFoxOs
9th Sep 2013, 07:01

Couldn't agree more, although one remembers having great fun ratting back in the '60s with an even smaller shotgun. IIRC it took cartridges about 2/3 the size of a .410. We called it "The 3 bore" which was obviously not the right name, might have been .3, I suppose. Don't know what happened to it, and I occasionally wonder whether there are any smaller bores than .410 still around today when I look at my old folding "poachers" .410.

UFO

tony draper
9th Sep 2013, 07:58
Probably a 9mm, chap I knew had one, a long barreled smooth bore shot pistol,called a Garden Gun.
:)

Airborne Aircrew
9th Sep 2013, 11:57
There is a 3 gauge shotgun shell according to the font of all knowledge - Wikipedia...

Oh, and you can also get shotshells for a .22, here (http://www.basspro.com/CCI-reg-Rimfire-Handgun-Shotshell-Loads/product/34248/).

Wonderworld
9th Sep 2013, 11:59
Rather a rat than the red belly black snake I had here today :eek:

rgbrock1
9th Sep 2013, 12:26
.22 air rifle for a rat? I guess you could but your aim had better be spot on.

For disposing of rats I much prefer:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m-2-50cal-dvic550.jpg

If aimed correctly you can take out a platoon of rats with one
round. :}:}:}

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Sep 2013, 12:28
Aka snake shot, Mr AA.

I use it sometimes when out bush, but prefer to just avoid the buggers if I can. They normally head off at speed when they hear me lumbering along, but puffies are lazy sods and will stay there, well camouflaged, until trodden upon.

cattletruck
9th Sep 2013, 14:01
Or you could revisit your yoof by pulling out the old Gecado Mod 16 (also manufactured as a Diana 16 in Great Britain) :).

Happy hunting.

black_shuck
9th Sep 2013, 19:35
I have a Weihraugh 100 it never fails to stop a rat.

Airborne Aircrew
9th Sep 2013, 20:33
It's odd... I was equated with murderers for taking even the slightest pleasure in killing a rat. I was branded a psychopath with a sick mind and serious problems...

I guess the world is a cesspool of sickos like myself if this thread is anything to go by... :}

500N
9th Sep 2013, 20:43
AA

Well, that makes two of us in the same boat.

Oh well, at least I won't be lonely in hell :O

Airborne Aircrew
9th Sep 2013, 21:27
500N:

You bring your air rifle, I'll bet a couple of breeding pairs of rats...

We need someone to bring the beer and Brats... Any volunteers?

500N
9th Sep 2013, 21:35
Sounds like a plan :ok:
Although like RGB, I am into a bit of overkill, the bullet has to be
about .375 of an inch or bigger :O, hence the term "paddock pizza".

Here is an observation for you that will get some of those on this thread going.

We, as hunters and shooters (conservationists) enjoy getting rid of foxes, cats and other introduced vermin that decimate the native wildlife, almost to the point of extinction because we feel we are doing something constructive.

mikedreamer787
9th Sep 2013, 21:35
the birds, the hedgehogs, the red kites or the foxes we like to see in the garden?

Just how big is your friggin' garden? You're not talking
about some backyard in suburbia are you.

Meeces I don't kill if they're outside the house. They just
tippytoe by and say "Sorry mate. I hope you don't mind
me just going over there to that bush? Sorry if I disturbed
you...."

Rats are different. Rats are the violent skinheads of the
animal world. "Hey...arsehole! I'm goin' over there and
I don't give a flying shit if you like that or not ok!!"

Rats should be killed without a moment's hesitation. And
they do make a good challenge for a .22 shot.

Cacophonix
9th Sep 2013, 21:37
I was branded a psychopath with a sick mind and serious problems...

Your honour the defendant does post on a forum called Jet Blast and there the case for the prosecution rests... ;)

Caco

Cacophonix
9th Sep 2013, 21:40
Rats are different. Rats are the violent skinheads of the
animal world. Hey...arsehole! I'm goin' over there and
I don't give a flying shit if you like that or not ok!!"

Ah rats are all right. They'll be nibbling at something well after the vermin they call humans have wiped themselves clean off the face of God's good earth.

Caco

Airborne Aircrew
9th Sep 2013, 21:58
Rats are, like every other animal on the planet including ourselves, just trying to make a living. In the case of rats they do it in a fashion that is incompatible with the way we make a living. No-one has any compunction in killing the fly that is throwing up on your sausage so it can digest what it thinks is it's dinner so why do we worry so much about a rat that craps in our pantry?

Frankly, in a purely academic way, rats are fascinating creatures... But when SWMBO calls and says in a hiss "There's a rat at the bird feeder" there's only one sensible reaction - because you know you're getting none while the rat might be sharing the marital bed... :sad:

Cacophonix
9th Sep 2013, 22:04
Frankly, in a purely academic way, rats are fascinating creatures... But when SWMBO calls and says in a hiss "There's a rat at the bird feeder" there's only one sensible reaction - because you know you're getting none while the rat might be sharing the marital bed...

My better half had a white rat as a pet when I first met her many moons ago. The rat was a great and remarkably intelligent pet.

When the rodent went off to the big granary in the sky she was devastated and I doubt she'll grieve half as much when yours truly makes his attempt to get by the pearly gates... ;)

Caco

500N
9th Sep 2013, 22:08
"Ah rats are all right. They'll be nibbling at something well after the vermin they call humans have wiped themselves clean off the face of God's good earth."

Right next to the cockroaches :O

Airborne Aircrew
9th Sep 2013, 22:23
Right next to the cockroaches

I'm not sure liberals are quite that resilient... Are they???? :E

Tankertrashnav
9th Sep 2013, 22:46
Oh, and you can also get shotshells for a .22, here (http://www.basspro.com/CCI-reg-Rimfire-Handgun-Shotshell-Loads/product/34248/).

But not if you live in the UK, unless you have an import licence. Not sure how easy these licences are to obtain in the UK, but I'm guessing that unless you are a registered firearms dealer it's going to be a non-starter. Not sure if these shotshells are available in the UK, but if they are it's going to be a lot easier to get them from your local gun dealer (assuming you have a shotgun certificate, of course). In any case a .22 rifle has to be on a firearms certificate which are hard to obtain in the UK - much easier to get a shotgun certificate and buy a .410.

My son had a white rat as a pet - cute little thing, used to sit on your shoulder as you walked around the house. Never been tempted to try that with the brown variety, though!

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Sep 2013, 05:59
I lean towards the live and let live side myself. I only hunt fish for the pot.

However, some species like the black mamba can get a bit nasty if they feel threatened and I don't have any wish to take on a ten foot mamba with a pointed stick, hence the .22 snake shot.

500N
10th Sep 2013, 06:03
SRT

That is good because I wouldn't even take it on with that :O

rans6andrew
10th Sep 2013, 11:03
Mikedreamer787, we are in a residential area, the whole garden is approx 200 X 40 feet, the same as the others around here. We had mouse infestation in the loft and sheds and found that, after the traps had done their job, the kites would swoop through and take away the carcases if thrown onto the lawn area. We regularly see foxes and hedgehogs on the patio in the evening and a few times recently a fox and cubs has been seen during daylight hours. Feeding the birds in a "squirrel proof" way is one of the more entertaining challenges we have risen to.

Rans6....

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Sep 2013, 11:51
Precisely, Mr N. Trick is to not get into that corner in the first place. Six rounds of snake shot are to slow it down so I can run away screaming like a little girl.

Airborne Aircrew
10th Sep 2013, 12:15
SRT:

so I can run away screaming like a little girl.

A refreshing blast of honesty on the internet... :D:D:D:D:D

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Sep 2013, 12:38
Never met a mamba then, I see.:}

I'd be able to run, not having shat myself. Lesser mortals such as Osprey shooters and rangers would be forced to waddle, their kecks bulging with dung.

Airborne Aircrew
10th Sep 2013, 13:11
SRT:

Nope, never... Other than my innate curiosity re: all critters I'll probably be quite happy to remain unacquainted with them too...

I've never fired a .22 shotshell but I'd be inclined to carry a 12 gauge with a load of birdshot if there are Mambas about. There's no such thing as "overkill" in my book.

We went camping a week ago and upon looking at the map I noted that we would only be 20 odd miles from where a Black Bear attacked a 12 year old girl a couple of weeks ago. I broke out the Mossberg 500 and a box of Brenneke but having looked at the satellite view of the campsite and surrounds I left it at home - it wasn't bear habitat and it was a huge campsite that was filled with people. Had it been more "rustic" the Mossberg would have had an outing... ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Sep 2013, 13:49
.22 snake shot is fairly effective at short range. Had a box due to expire so we used it to strip paint (some of it) off a jack in a mate's hangar that needed repainting. Played about with it on some timex veg and the odd honey melon as well. Plan would be to let rip with everything in a small revolver while backing away then hightail it out of there at the speed of a striking slug. Should cause a minor rethink on the snake's part if there's no other option, but as you say, better to keep well away from the buggers. They're pretty aggressive and can outpace a horse over short distances.