PDA

View Full Version : What's the connection?

Discorde
7th Sep 2013, 16:36
A puzzle for Ppruners who are aficionados of 1960s pop music: What is the connection between the following tracks:

Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love
Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
Byrds - All I Really Want To Do
Dave Clark Five - Do You Love Me
Equals - Baby Come Back
Peter Sarstedt - Frozen Orange Juice
Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin'

RJM
7th Sep 2013, 17:06
All number ones?

Lightning Mate
7th Sep 2013, 17:14
I stroked bums on the dance floor to all of them. :E

Yep - the 60s. :ok::ok:

er340790
7th Sep 2013, 17:29
Same recording studio?

Same Producer?

Same vinyl pressing factory?

Umm... :(

BOAC
7th Sep 2013, 17:40
I stroked bums on the dance floor to all of them. - hopefully female?:D

lomapaseo
7th Sep 2013, 18:42
sometin to do with "love" ?

Sunnyjohn
7th Sep 2013, 19:09
All the tracks were written by one or more members of each band.

SilsoeSid
7th Sep 2013, 19:39
Having youtub'd the original performances, in all the songs the lyrics are simple rhymes in the verses and simple repetitions in the bridge. The music is 12-bar blues in the verse and a pair of extended perfect cadences in the bridge. Generally, in all of the original live playings, the ecstatic performances transformed the rudimentary material.

Coffin Dodger
7th Sep 2013, 20:28
Long shot.... all recorded at Abbey Road?

Haraka
8th Sep 2013, 07:48
Originally considered as "b" sides?

Lon More
8th Sep 2013, 08:39
something to do with the opening chords?

bosnich71
8th Sep 2013, 08:58
Spencer Davis Group .... now there was a decent R & B band. Steve Winwood, Muff Winwood, Pete York and Spence himself.
Great memories of nights at the Golden Eagle, the Whisky a Gogo, Midland Institute. Aston Uni. in Brum and places like the Hen & Chickens on the Wolverhampton Rd. Unfortunately then along came "Keep on Running" and the rest of U.K. found out about them and they disappeared under a horde of shrieking Sheilas.The two Winwoods plus Davis co wrote 'Gimme some loving' but I wouldn't think,Ho Ho. not any of the others.
Spence is still playing and recording though and ......... my missus always strokes my bum whenever I play "Dimples", which is very handy in ones old age. :ok:

Discorde
8th Sep 2013, 10:58
None of the above! Although Lon is edging in the right direction.

Clue: List the track titles in alphabetical order and note how many of them there are.

@b71: Saw Steve Winwood belting out 'Gimme Some Lovin'' at Leeds Uni when it was riding high in the charts in 1966 - fantastic! 45 years later saw him on the Clapton show at the Albert Hall - still fantastic, as was support act Andy Fairweather-Low, whose singing and guitaring was as good as Eric's IMHO.

500N
8th Sep 2013, 11:03
A - G

bosnich71
8th Sep 2013, 11:31
Discorde ... The first Spencer Davis Group gig that I attended was at the Golden Eagle pub in Brum city centre about '63. I'd not heard of them as at the time I was stationed in Germany. A young lady had chatted me up whilst I was attending a concert at the student union at Aston Uni and, finding that I liked Cyril Davies, insisted that I accompany her to the Eagle the next weekend. On hearing them for the first time I was convinced that they were a 3 member group with the singer and harmonica player being a recording. It turned out that Steve Winwood, being only 15/16 years old at the time was not allowed on 'licenced premises' so was actually stationed in the pub's kitchen doing his thing on an extended mike lead or whatever.

Lightning Mate
8th Sep 2013, 13:35
BOAC,

- hopefully female?:D

Cheeky sod!

Discorde
8th Sep 2013, 14:34
Clue #2: In Germany (moving forward to 1979) you could add:

Sham 69 - Hersham Boys

Clue #3: no further title initial letters are possible.

RJM
9th Sep 2013, 00:31
?

I must be thick. I get the A to G, but why not H, I etc... :confused:

mikedreamer787
9th Sep 2013, 04:04
I stroked bums on the dance floor to all of them.

I managed some titty gropes to a few Olivia NJ tracks.

B Fraser
9th Sep 2013, 08:12
They were recorded in the key of the first letter of the title.

I guess that works given that Sham 69 recorded in the key of "Howling".

RJM
9th Sep 2013, 10:19
Ah. Thank you. :ok:

Discorde
9th Sep 2013, 11:11
Spot on BF!

Many pop songs are recorded and performed in the keys of E, A and D because these chords (and their associated sub-dominant and dominant chords, which are used in 12-bars and other 3-chord songs) are the easiest to play on a guitar. So it was quite easy to find titles beginning with these letters. The easiest keyboard chords are C, F and G. The 'F' and 'B' titles in the puzzle proved to be the most difficult to source.

Sometimes the recording studio engineers and producers use tape speed adjustment for artistic purposes. Besides altering the tempo, this procedure also alters the pitch of the notes, which is why some recordings are in 'unusual' keys, or even keys not aligned to 'standard' notes in the diatonic (12-semitone, A = 440 Hz) scale. A good example is the keyboard solo in the Beatles' 'In My Life'. Producer George Martin recorded it at a sedate pace on a piano then doubled the playback speed, which besides doubling the tempo also doubled the pitch frequency, thus making all the notes sound an octave higher. A supplementary result was that the timbre also changed from 'piano' towards 'harpsichord'.

In the old German music notation, the note annotated 'B' referred to B flat (a semitone below B natural). B natural itself was annotated 'H'. The Sham 69 track is in the key of B.

(You need to get out more, Discorde. Ed.)

RJM
9th Sep 2013, 12:31
It's amazing what you can learn on PPRuNe. In spite of certain people saying 'You're not wasting time on that Prune thing again are you?' (Believe me, it happens!)

Here's something interesting in return.

I happen to like marching music. There are two versions of 'Le boudin' the march of the French Foreign Legion. One is at 88 beats per minute, for marching in sand, and there is a second 'parade version' at 120 beats per minute.

Boudin is a blood sausage. The march refers to there being plenty of this delicacy for the friends of the Legion - specifically the Alsatians, the Swiss and the Lorrains, but none for the Belgians, who, according to the song, are lazy bastards because the king of the Belgians asked the Legion to excuse its Belgian members from fighting in the Franco-Prussian War in the 1860s. They still carry the grudge, apparently.

Le Boudin at 120 beats is a stirring anthem:

Marche de la Légion / Le Boudin - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WXoYaHPYxr0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%)

They have a number of slow marches. 'Connaissez voussoirs ces hommes' is one of them, and I think it gives Welsh choirs a run for their money.

Connaissez-vous ces hommes--Legion Etrangere - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnDyJZ2ygw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvMnDyJZ2ygw)

The Prussians prefer it quick. Here's Preußens Gloria:

Preußens Gloria (prussia glory march) - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_6AQA4uzD0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Df_6AQA4uzD0)

There's a Spanish march at 140 beats, complete with goats. The Gurkhas have a march at 140 too, with rifles at the trail.

B Fraser
9th Sep 2013, 21:22
Here's an easy one.

What links U2's "With Or Without You" with Pachelbel's "Canon" ?

ExSp33db1rd
10th Sep 2013, 00:18
Same tune ?

Only a guess, I wouldn't listen to U2 if you paid me. ( well, perhaps if you paid me, I could always read a book )

bosnich71
10th Sep 2013, 05:50
Discorde ....

As a spotty teenager I always wanted to be in a pop group but couldn't afford a guitar. Having read your explanation I'm actually glad I was / am hard up. It was like reading a page written in Sanscrit or something equally un decipherable.
And, before anyone asks, I couldn't have been lead singer either because as a schoolboy I'd been traumatised by my school singing teacher when I was asked,after one lesson, to come to all future classes with a book, and to sit in the corner and keep quiet.
One Christmas though I was allowed to go with the rest of the school to St. Martins church in Birmingham Bull Ring and take part in a schools carol service. I was pretty chuffed at the time until a "mate" said that I was only allowed to be there as I couldn't be heard over the other 5,000 other "singers". :{

Discorde
10th Sep 2013, 10:15
@BF: similar chord sequence

@b71: You don't need to understand the theory of music (or be able to read it) to be a brilliant musician. Think of the (uneducated) blues and jazz performers of the early 20th century who were just naturally gifted. Or B B King or Chuck Berry or Jimi Hendrix.

Thirty odd years ago I bought a (very expensive) Tascam 10-track recorder for messing around with my own material. I recorded one of my songs in the key of D and then decided to add a harmonica accompaniment. Problem: the harmonica played in the key of C. Solution: slow down the tape until all the D notes were lowered to C, then record the harmonica at this tape speed. When the tape was restored to standard speed the whole song (including the harmonica) was transposed back into D. This dodge is also handy for 'singing' notes above or below your natural range. But don't overdo it - you'll end up sounding like Pinky and Perky. That may be the intention, of course - Ray Stevens sped up his own voice in the hit track 'Bridget the Midget' to turn himself into 'Bridget'.

These links may be of interest:

The Mathematics of Music (http://steemrok.com/mvm/mvm%20nv#mvmeng)
The Engineering of Music (http://steemrok.com/tvm/tvm%20v9#evm)

Sunnyjohn
10th Sep 2013, 11:03
Problem: the harmonica played in the key of C. Solution: slow down the tape until all the D notes were lowered to C, then record the harmonica at this tape speed. Um - was there some reason why you couldn't buy a D harmonica?

Discorde
10th Sep 2013, 11:25
@ Sunnyjohn: Cheaper and easier to slow the tape down! And also you could 'tune' the harmonica to other keys using variable tape speed.

bosnich71
10th Sep 2013, 13:30
Bridget the Midget by Ray Stevens", great track although I did prefer 'Guitarzan'.
You're right, of course, about the likes of Berry, B.B. King etc. maybe I should have tried harder .... as the maths teacher once said.

bosnich71
10th Sep 2013, 13:39
"Guitarzan" ...It's all coming back, well some of it

"He's got a girl named Jane
With no last name
Kinda homely and plain
But he loves her just the same
Cause she kindles the flame
And it drives him insane.

and another bit partly remembered .......

Digs C & W and R & B
and me and the Chimpanzee agree etc.etc.

They don't write lyrics like that these days ! :)

RJM
10th Sep 2013, 14:54
Or like these:

Transfusion - Nervous Norvus - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jojuPQXMm44&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjojuPQXMm44)

tex ritter blood on the saddle - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pKI21fdR7jg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpKI21fdR7jg)