PDA

View Full Version : Suspicion

vulcanised
5th Sep 2013, 12:12
Being of a suspicious nature I'm wondering why TT have been so keen to send me a wireless router?

I'm currently using a hard-wired modem, because I don't need wireless, but they say the new router will increase the speed & reliability of my connection (with which I have no problem).

According to the instructions, they (TT) can access the new router at any time to fine tune it, and it should be left switched on at all times.

Is there an odour of rat, or is it just me?

cattletruck
5th Sep 2013, 13:44
Place the TT router inside the microwave oven and press 5 then Start. Then call TT and tell them thanks but no thanks please come and collect your router.

mixture
5th Sep 2013, 14:58
vulcanised,

How many decades old is your current router ? If you're one of those PPRuNe old farts who likes running ancient kit just for the hell of it, then it might be worth moving into the 21st century !

From another angle, have there been any material changes that you know of to your service over the recent months ? They might have upgraded some kit at the exchange which would benefit from a newer router ?

Finally, do they say what router they're offering you ?

Another thought ....They may also just be trying to keep up with the times and want to send you something that looks and feels more like a BT Home Hub or Virgin SuperHub just incase you happened to be oggling what their competitors were pushing.

dazdaz1
5th Sep 2013, 15:01
Vulcanised...Off topic, but there are very few of us now using a modem (broadband) I do. I was heart broken after a chat with my ISP Freeserve>Orange and now EE that modems are now not replaced for users. All this bloody WiFi??? Unless one has G4 no contest downloading movie clips with the good old phone line ADSL.

Daz

mixture
5th Sep 2013, 15:04
dazdaz1's comment just flagged something up.

Vulcanised, are you seriously using a USB ADSL modem ? You are a PPRuNe crusty then.

ADSL routers, whether your own or ISP supplied are the way to go. If you don't want Wifi, just buy your own Netgear box that doesn't have Wifi, which is what I do.

TalkTalk are quite correct. Router based connections are more stable and robust, and work better in conjunction with the kit they've got at the exchanges.

USB modems are very much dark ages. Even if you're only got one PC.

Mac the Knife
5th Sep 2013, 15:52
I wouldn't get one myself, but what is the problem with using a USB ADSL modem if it works and you don't need the routing/switch facilities?

It's not as though a BB connection is going to saturate the USB bus...

"If you don't want Wifi, just buy your own Netgear box that doesn't have Wifi, which is what I do."

Or turn it off in the router control panel.

Mac

mixture
5th Sep 2013, 16:52
It's not as though a BB connection is going to saturate the USB bus...

You're missing the point by a million miles .... :ugh:

(a) You've got drivers and all that :mad: to deal with on USB, ethernet cable is so much more painless and stable. Its also a lot easier to troubleshoot a router based connection because you remove the million unknown factors caused by stuff that's dependent on a PC (is it your broadband connection or a dodgy usb port or dodgy drivers or or or or or or or ad infinitum....).
(b) Hardware routers are more stable... fact because they are not dependent on your PC which might be old / virus infected / in need of software updates etc. etc.
(c) ISPs these days expect you to have a router, their kit needs to be able to see your line stats etc. in order to make educated decisions about what the best sync rate is for you and a number of other items. If you're using a dodgy old USB modem that's only on here and there, their stats are going to be all skewy and rubbish.
(d) As well as being easier for you to troubleshoot, its easier for your ISP to troubleshoot.

Or turn it off in the router control panel.

(a) If you don't need it, why pay for it
(b) If its there, its at risk of getting turned back on accidentally / deliberately by someone or something.
(c) Its another configuration step, another thing to remember, another thing to take up your time. If its not there in hardware, then that's best.

vulcanised
5th Sep 2013, 17:20
Thanks for the info and opinions.

The current modem was supplied by TT six years ago and uses an ethernet connection, which is what the new one would be set up for since I don't currently need wifi.

The one they've sent is a Huawei HG533, if that means anything to anyone, and the spiel says it should be kept on so it remembers my setup and for "enhanced remote management" (so they can fiddle with it).

I get the impression that I could just unplug the existing and put the plugs in appropriate sockets, after swapping the psu.

Where did anyone get the idea I am using usb??

mixture
5th Sep 2013, 17:57
Where did anyone get the idea I am using usb??

Don't shoot the messenger, it's all dazdaz's fault. :E

Mac the Knife
6th Sep 2013, 08:12
Mix, of course you are right about USB ADSL modems (I didn't even know they existed!) and an up-to-date real hardware router is the only way to go.

Now I know it is far less likely, but your router might also "..be old / virus infected / in need of software updates etc. etc...."

See: NSA Laughs at PCs, Prefers Hacking Routers and Switches | Threat Level | Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/09/nsa-router-hacking/)

How many people regularly check their gear for firmware updates?

Sorry, can't resist it when you get a bit vehement.... :)

Mac :ok:

Remember that not all PPRuNers are tech savvy or have the means to go out and buy new kit...

(also, I can think of several times when updating software/drivers/etc. has borked one of my systems and I've had to reimage, so I'm a teeny bit wary if everthing is working nicely. [A recent example was the normally excellent BlueSoleil bluetooth stack])

:(

mixture
6th Sep 2013, 08:38
See: NSA Laughs at PCs, Prefers Hacking Routers and Switches | Threat Level | Wired.com

Well yeah, but then again, anything of any value shouldn't be connected to a network that has internet connectivity in the first place.

How many people regularly check their gear for firmware updates?

I do. Everyone else should.

have the means to go out and buy new kit...

There's a difference between "not having the means" and running 10/20 year old obsolete kit "just because you can" or because you're on a one man crusade against Microsoft.

But even if you don't have the means, a little bit of research and a little bit of effort can yield to a better setup system using what you've got.

OverRun
6th Sep 2013, 11:24
cattletruck - I am still laughing - great post :)

vulcanised
12th Sep 2013, 11:45
Update

I installed the new modem, read some really positive reviews, and found it had increased the speed.

24hrs later it started dropping the line, frequently, so I went back to my original modem. Just given it a second chance and it dropped the line within minutes :ugh:

dazdaz1
12th Sep 2013, 13:56
Might be worth trying a new line filter pc>filter>phone socket. Had a problem with line dropping a while age. Thankfully back in 1862 Freeserve sent me two filters (old one had been used for 8 plus years) new filter connected, unused for the past 8 years problem sorted.

Daz