PDA

View Full Version : Definition of PICUS under new CASR 61 rules

J.L.Seagull
4th Sep 2013, 13:18
I'm looking at converting my foreign ATPL to a CASA ATPL, and I think meet all the requirements, however, the "total aeronautical experience requirements" clause bugs me...

===
61.095 Definition of flight time as pilot in command under supervision for Part 61

(1) A person’s flight time as pilot in command under supervision is the duration of a flight if:
(a) the person holds a pilot licence, other than a student pilot licence; and
(b) the person performs all the duties of the pilot in command for the flight; and
(c) subregulation (2) or (3) applies to the flight.

(2) For paragraph (1) (c), this subregulation applies to the flight if:
(a) the flight is conducted by an operator that has training and checking responsibilities; and
(b) the pilot in command of the flight is authorised by the operator or the operator’s Part 142 operator to conduct the supervision of the person.

(3) For paragraph (1) (c), this subregulation applies to the flight if:
(a) the person is supervised by a flight instructor or flight examiner; and
(b) the person is not receiving flight training or taking a flight test.
===

What does this imply for MPL holders wishing to upgrade to ATPL?

I ask this because I upgraded to an ATPL from MPL. Where I currently fly, PF time on the line, with any line captain, can be counted as PICUS.

This is a particular bone of contention with MPL holders because the MPL syllabus requires just 70hrs of flight training, of which only 18hrs are solo. Therefore, your true PIC time is just 18hrs before you do your type rating and then have the license issued.

After the type rating, and line training is complete, I assume that you'll be flying as a F/O as co-pilot. And from there on, no more true PIC time. So, how do you actually gain the PIC/PICUS time required for the ATPL?

Does this mean that I cannot log any time as ICUS unless I fly with an instructor/examiner on a non-training flight?

Any help would be appreciated.

LeadSled
4th Sep 2013, 15:01
Seagul,
Virtually any organisation that will be employing MPLs (remember the MPL is operator specific) will have a training organization, ergo. any line Captain will be able to "supervise" AICUS (by whatever name) every time an F/O flies a sector.

That is exactly what happens now in a number of airlines, including Qantas. IN such cases, it must be clearly logged as AICUS.

AICUS counts 100% towards total aeronautical experience.

(2) For paragraph (1) (c), this subregulation applies to the flight if:
(a) the flight is conducted by an operator that has training and checking responsibilities; and
(b) the pilot in command of the flight is authorised by the operator or the operator’s Part 142 operator to conduct the supervision of the person.

The above applies to line operations, and (more or less) takes us back about 35 years to when Australia was last ICAO compliant on the subject of pilots logging hours.

This is really going to upset the mob who can't or won't distinguish between Command time and AICUS.

Tootle pip!!

sheppey
5th Sep 2013, 01:54
Therefore, your true PIC time is just 18hrs before you do your type rating and then have the license issued

And 10-15 years later when seniority in the job finally get your first jet command in the airline, your total real honest-to-God command time will still be only 18 hours solo in a single engine trainer. It doesn't matter how you dress it up and how many stripes you put up, all the other ICUS nonsense is actually co-pilot time in reality - despite all the rules governing logging of ICUS

LeadSled
5th Sep 2013, 09:02
It doesn't matter how you dress it up and how many stripes you put up, all the other ICUS nonsense is actually co-pilot time in reality - despite all the rules governing logging of ICUS

Folks, here we go again, the same old same old.

Regardless of what a reactionary segment of the quite small Australian aviation sector thinks, the rest of the world and ICAO disagrees with you.

What has been regularized as the MPL system has been the dominant way of supplying airline pilots for many of the worlds airlines since the early 1960's, and there is no safety problem.

The idea that bashing around the back block of Australia in GA for a few hours has any benefit after 15 years in an airline is farcical, but an article of faith to those unable to see beyond Australia's 12 mile limit.

Tootle pip!!