PDA

View Full Version : Game fishing during the Falklands Conflict

Churchills Ghost
4th Sep 2013, 11:48
The Ministry of Defence has admitted that the Royal Navy killed three whales when it mistook them for enemy submarines during the Falklands War.

A previously unpublished journal revealed that the anti-submarine frigate HMS Brilliant launched torpedoes at suspected enemy submarines during the 1982 conflict which in fact resulted in the killing of whales. A whale was also killed by the ship’s anti-submarine helicopter after it also mistook a whale for an enemy submarine.

In the journal a crew member wrote: “small sonar contact” which then prompted the launch of torpedoes. He also noted drily: “Whale oil sighted by Sea King [helicopter] . . . I think I’ll join Greenpeace.”

The Ministry of Defence said the sonar equipment used at the time could easily confuse whale signals for submarines but that modern-day equipment was more accurate.

British Navy Admit They Mistakenly Attacked Whales (http://www.scoopla.com/trending-now/blog/2013/9/british-navy-admit-they-mistakenly-attacked-submarines/)

Airborne Aircrew
4th Sep 2013, 11:59
Just inter service rivalry... I'm sure the Prince had a good larf...

Oh, sorry.... :}

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2013, 12:11
...and that, my friends, is why we don't give future our ASW/ASuW/LRMP platform to the Navy.

How is that coming along, by the way?

Wensleydale
4th Sep 2013, 13:29
An example of Blue on Blue Whale perhaps?

gr4techie
4th Sep 2013, 13:32
The whales got their own back. My dad knew an old submariner who said male whales would mistake the submarine for a female whale. He said, inside the submarine you could hear the mating calls and standby to get humped by a whale.

CoffmanStarter
4th Sep 2013, 13:53
Wensley old chap ... How big is your joke/one-liners book :rolleyes:

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2013, 14:12
and standby to get humped by a whale.

I understand a lot of submariners think that when they're going into port.

BEagle
4th Sep 2013, 14:27
As I debriefed one pilot after some very agricultural receiver training:

"You made contact with all the subtlety and caution of a nuclear submarine sailor greeting his girl friend after 6 months under the Arctic ice cap".

West Coast
4th Sep 2013, 14:28
Would that make their rank seman receptacle?

Innominate
4th Sep 2013, 15:28
"inside the submarine you could hear the mating calls and standby to get humped by a whale."

Presumably a Humpback Whale?

dctyke
4th Sep 2013, 16:54
Sea trout 'fishing' at the pan handle sans fishing gear.....:mad:

Navaleye
4th Sep 2013, 17:11
Antrim's Wessex attacked a Russian Victor with a Mk46 torpedo in Snake Search mode so they were not all biological. If you are in the big chair in the ops r you treat everything as enemy unless proven otherwise.

Marcantilan
4th Sep 2013, 17:23
How do you know she was a Victor boat?

I think the classification was not so easy and they ended thinking they attacked a nuclear boat, but not clear if it was a Victor or, even, a Soviet boat at all.

USS Parche was in the area, for example.

Regards!