PDA

View Full Version : A couple of tecchie questions

SpinSpinSugar
5th May 2002, 09:43
a) I currently have two Windows XP machines on a 100Mbps LAN, connected via a NetGear hub. Both machines have identical D-Link ethernet cards that support Wake-On-LAN, and when the machines are off both cards have the required amount of standby power to initiate a remote boot (the Hub indicates both are "awake"). Both cards have the required cable connected to the required socket on the motherboards (Both A-Bit Athlon boards), which support WoL.

My question is what exactly is it that I have to send/request over the network to get the LAN cards to wake up the machines?

b) I use ZoneAlarm as a firewall - is it possible using ZoneAlarm (or any other free non-Microsoft firewall product) to set full protection but allow ONE port to be open. I ask this in respect of running a network game server that requires incoming connections have access to a specific port (say 7777). Setting server rights for the programme (in this case Unreal Tournament) doesn't seem to allow direct connections. Currently I have to turn the entire firewall off, which is not where I want to be as I have a static IP.

Thanks, SSS

P-air
5th May 2002, 14:23
Download Zone Alarm Pro

Its alot easier to setup the network with the upgrade

Its a trial download 30 days

But we all know what we can do with

www.astalavista.com

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
5th May 2002, 16:27
Or http://www.tinysoftware.com/ ...

All Systems Go
5th May 2002, 19:37
The WoL function is designed mainly designed for, say a machine that is used as an internet gateway (other machines share 1 internet connection) and is turned off, and you want to use the internet from an non-internet connected in another room then you simply boot the machine your at, and the LAN will by virtue of the WoL function wake up the internet gateway to save you having to turn it on. Pure laziness.

Other functions use this feature, but to be honest it isn't really used in the office.

Question 2)

Yes it is possible, but you need to do a lot of messing about, which includes mapping ports and allowing the correct type of request (UDP, HTTP etc).

Do a google search for the best advice.

Hope this helps

RadarContact
6th May 2002, 08:21
To a) Any request should do, really

You might have to enable the "Wake up on LAN" or "Wake up on PCI activity" option in the mainboard BIOS, though.

SpinSpinSugar
7th May 2002, 13:01
Thanks chaps, very useful. I think I was going wrong with the "not enabling the option on the motherboard" issue with regard to the first point.

With regard to the second, P-air, I don't think you can actually get as far as downloading ZoneAlarm Pro without paying for the damn thing.

Cheers, SSS