PDA

View Full Version : What an excellent idea to get round cold calling

NutLoose
3rd Sep 2013, 18:45
Read this, priceless

A Man In Britain Figured Out A Genius Way Shut Down Cold Calls - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/britain-cold-calls-2013-8)

Capetonian
3rd Sep 2013, 19:12
A brilliant idea but as usual some mealy mouth curmudgeonly jobsworth has warned him that he is subject to penalties for 'misuse' of a premium rate number.

There's an interesting discussion here SAYNOTO0870.COM - 0871 Revenge ? (http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1377753370)

BOAC
3rd Sep 2013, 19:48
What I need now is an email address of similar style to give to all the spammers and cold emailers

jimtherev
3rd Sep 2013, 23:11
What I need now is an email address of similar style to give to all the spammers and cold emailers
Got one!
Also have a series of pew sodo nyms which I use if I take out a mag subscription or somesuch.
First one was Jim A Surname,
Second Jim B Surname
Jim C... etc.

The sellers-on of data can thus be identified; I've cancelled 3 subs so far, writing to the MD telling him/her why.
I'm sure it makes no diff to the company's policy, but it made me feel good for 5 minutes...

500N
3rd Sep 2013, 23:14
"as usual some mealy mouth curmudgeonly jobsworth has warned him that he is subject to penalties for 'misuse' of a premium rate number."

I find it hard to believe they can dictate what you use the phone for.

Does it matter to them ?

Cacophonix
3rd Sep 2013, 23:21
"Hi Sir, my name is Ralph... Are you bored with your wife? If you are Sir , then hell we can help you..."

Dr Hook Penicillin Penny.wmv - YouTube

Caco

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2013, 23:43
I find it hard to believe they can dictate what you use the phone for.

The rules are to prevent misuse by people who string-out genuine callers with preamble which costs before the caller gets into the meat of their call.

500N
3rd Sep 2013, 23:46
Which he isn't doing ?

I'd love to read the terms and conditions and just see what they have.

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2013, 23:52
I'd love to read the terms and conditions and just see what they have.

Here you are (http://code.phonepayplus.org.uk/pdf/PhonepayPlusCOP2011.pdf).

500N
4th Sep 2013, 00:04
Most of that relates to protection of consumers, which I can fully understand.

I can't find anything specific about using it as a number to earn money
from cold callers.

I reckon they have got the noses out of joint because someone thought
of a way to make money using them.

If Cold callers get too pushy, a comment about what you will do to them
or their mothers usually results in a very quick hang up and NO call back.

Wxgeek
4th Sep 2013, 00:09
This works:

1. "Hello"

2 . "Hello I'm from XXXX cable, Can I talk to you for a moment about our new rate plans?"

3. "I'd love to, I'll be right back"

Put down the phone, pick it up in 5 minutes and see if they are still there. If so, repeat step 3

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Sep 2013, 06:40
Ask them what colour skiddies they're wearing.

Clare Prop
4th Sep 2013, 09:50
I love this one.

How to deal with a Telemarketer by Tom Mabe - YouTube

dead_pan
4th Sep 2013, 10:09
When we moved house a few years back we inherited a phone number which had previously been in use, a consequence of which was that we were deluged with cold-callers (mainly from India) asking for the previous 'owner' of the number. After a few weeks, the joy of taking the p1ss out of their accents or comprehension of the English language wore a little thin, so instead we resorted to telling then that the gentleman in question had just died. Surprisingly, they didn't appear to have a script for that one :ok:

tony draper
4th Sep 2013, 10:15
There was a item re this on the news a week or so back,various talking heads interviewed and giving opinions including the bloke wot done it,opinion was that what he was doing was illegal,as one was supposed to offer some kind of service with a 0871 number.
:uhoh:

Capetonian
4th Sep 2013, 10:31
He was offering a service. Wasting telemarketers' time and money - that has to be a service to the public who are pestered daily by these calls.

BOAC
4th Sep 2013, 10:31
to offer some kind of service with a 0871 number - surely to answer the call is a 'service'?

tony draper
4th Sep 2013, 10:39
Yer but that's not the way authority would regard it,the advice was don't do it,of course the talking heads may just have been pimping for the telemarketers.

500N
4th Sep 2013, 11:36
That's not the way the authority saw it because they didn't like the fact someone thought of a way of making money out of it.

End of.

Devon Flyer
4th Sep 2013, 12:36
I normally use the following line, which normally ends in a very quick call

"Yes i would love to listen to what you are saying, do you mind if i masterbate whilst you are telling me?"

BARKINGMAD
4th Sep 2013, 13:42
500N:

"I find it hard to believe they can dictate what you use the phone for."

Since you left the UK, we have moved rapidly towards Orwell's 1984.

Try this one for starters? :

BBC News - Lobbying bill could silence us, say charities (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23808996)

THEY can do what THEY want, and post 9/11 anything can be justified in the so-called public interest!

Steamer Ned
4th Sep 2013, 17:42
Apologies for thread drift, but something that intrigues me occurred yesterday with regard to unsolicited calls. On my return home, I did the usual check to find out what calls there had been in my absence. I was somewhat amazed to find that the most recent call was registered as coming from an 01734 exchange number ... a number for the Reading area that hasn't been in use since 1996. I then received four more calls from the same number (without answering them), the last one just after 20:00 hrs.

This morning, the phone rang at about 08:15 from the same number, so I decided to bite the bullet and engage in conversation with the 'subcontinent-type' voice at the other end. It was an attempt to get answers to 'a survey' etc, etc ... so I interrupted the flow to ask why the number of their call centre was registering as one that's at least 17 years out of date. Cue 'that's the number our company is registered to use in UK' bluster.

Anyone had a similar experience, or any idea why this might happen? By the way, I've tried dialling the full number, with the 01734 prefix and the current 0118 9 version, and both get 'the number you have dialled has not been recognised' recording.

OFSO
4th Sep 2013, 20:05
Guys, this is true.

Phone just rings, 21:00, I pick it up, it's a call centre jabbering in Castilliano. So I say in Catalan (note that) "moment si'us plau" go out into the front yard and put the phone down in front of the very vociferous and vocal feral cat I feed.

The cat howls as expected for a minute and I clear the phone down. Ten second later it rings again and the same lady says "I didn't expect to speak to the cat".

Honest.

500N
4th Sep 2013, 20:09
Barking Mad

I am afraid what you say is true. Sad but true.

We have a similar problem here but not quite as bad.

OFSO
That is funny :ok: :O

Capetonian
4th Sep 2013, 22:12
I recently had a conversation with a company who were not delivering what I, the client, wanted. I rang to complain and got the usual recording .... "in the interests of quality bla bla bloody bla ..... this call may be recorded."

Mrs. Bitch from Hell at the other end of the line was being unhelpful to the point of obstructiveness and refusing to pass my call higher up the food chain, so just before I terminated the conversation, I advised her that I had recorded the call. "You can't do that" she said.
"I have ...."
"But you can't ....."
"But I have ....."

Actually, I hadn't, but it had scared her enough that within 10 minutes I had a call from higher up the food chain from someone with a brain cell and the ability and authority to resolve the situation.

NutLoose
4th Sep 2013, 22:47
I have caller Id and use the blocking service, however it does not stop international calls...

When you get one, start off with why do you Pakistani's keep calling me about a product I do not want...calling an Indian a Pakistani really gets up their goat and they rapidly lose it. :ok: follow it with Pakistani, Indian your all the same Country... They'll be having a coronary about now :)

My sister had one from India asking if she was mrs XYZ, she said no, are you Mr XYZ? She said no... Is this 012xx xxxxyzz? She replied yes... Are you a family member of mr and mrs XYZ? She said no, the guy lost the plot and screamed down the phone WTF are you doing in their house then... She said what's it got to do with you?

He hung up then called the next day and called her names lol.

Capetonian
4th Sep 2013, 22:56
"Hello, is that Mr. X"
"Not really, no ......."
"Who are you then?"
"You called me, so who are you?"
"OK, I'm Joe from XYZ and I'd like to ask you a few questions."
"Are you selling something?"
"No"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes"
"OK, well then I'm afraid you're wasting your time, I've just had a huge lottery win and I desperately need to spend some money, but seeing as you're not selling anything ..........."
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

500N
4th Sep 2013, 23:03
Nut loose
"He hung up then called the next day and called her names lol."

Are you serious ?

I can't believe that.

It's when they get like that that my most racists, bigoted, rude comments
come out and then they are the one's that are normally a bit shell shocked.
Bringing their family into the conversation generally stops them dead.

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2013, 23:42
He hung up then called the next day and called her names

Happened with me.

I'd say that the guy was of Chinese origin, and was acting on behalf of a marketing company and asked questions such as:-
"Are you aged between 20 and 30, 30 and 40, 40 and 50, 50 and 60, over 60?"
to which I replied "Yes."

Whenever I receive unwanted calls where the caller asks me personal questions I answer only "Yes" or "No" and not necessarily accurately.

For example, answering every question with "Yes" can get the caller confused (and waste their time). I'm retired and prepared to spend my time rather than be rude and cut them off.

After a while he (the Chinaman) lost his temper and became abusive towards me.

He rang several times on the following days and abused me. Of course there is no way of finding out the number from which the call is made (being an overseas call), and even if there was I wouldn't waste money calling them . . .

HyFlyer
5th Sep 2013, 16:41
I have a range of extremely scandalizing swear words in a variety of languages 'prepared earlier'.

Nothing like a tirade of abuse at high volume to quell their enthusiasm for calling.

No point entering into any rational discourse with these morons...they have no need to call if they don't want to be offended.

Sometimes, purely for amusement, I will speak quieter and quieter as though responding correctly for a minute or two before letting loose at max volume....

French is particularly rich in scatological invective.

It may not be a very cerebral approach, but then again we are not dealing with the intelligentsia are we....!

Steamer Ned
5th Sep 2013, 17:03
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen: most helpful.

Speaking of helpful, some of you might find the following of use in the future.

Someone on another forum reminded me about the 'whocallsme' site. They've had about 150 complaints about this number, over a period of about two months or so. Some responders have mentioned that the caller has their address details, apparently from the electoral roll, and several have received abuse when they've questioned how the caller has obtained their number. One responder has tracked the origin to Narainghar, a village near Ambala in north-west India.

I have been registered with the Telephone Preference Service for years, but I've lodged a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office (ico.org.uk) since, unlike TPS, they will investigate even if the caller's name is unknown.

Will be interesting to discover if other forum members get calls from the same source in the near future. The full number they're using is 01734 533443, by the way.

radeng
5th Sep 2013, 21:44
I have had a lot of success with female cold callers with the response

"May I speak to Mr radeng?"

"Sorry, Mr radeng is not available at the moment. He is currently busy interviewing women for positions working as prostitutes in brothels in the Far East and South America. May I assume you calling about applying for employment in one of these positions?"

Funny thing - they always hang up at that point!

NutLoose
6th Sep 2013, 02:54
Nut loose
"He hung up then called the next day and called her names lol."

Are you serious ?

I can't believe that.

It's when they get like that that my most racists, bigoted, rude comments
come out and then they are the one's that are normally a bit shell shocked.
Bringing their family into the conversation generally stops them dead.

Yep, she let rip at him and also told him the call was being recorded, she is not shy in coming fwd when she is riled :ok:

cattletruck
6th Sep 2013, 11:48
Since I came back from holidays, the fixed line phone rings at exactly 5:18pm Monday to Friday and when answered nobody speaks at the other end.

Why doesn't someone design a smart fixed phone which doesn't ring on blocked numbers, and can be tailored to only ring from known numbers or area codes.

Think of it like a computer firewall but more interactive. For example, when the phone rings and the number is new, after you hang up you are given the option of blocking it forever.

Probably sell like hotcakes.

Capetonian
6th Sep 2013, 12:05
Technical (http://www.cprcallblocker.com/call%20blocker%20information.html)

There is a call blocker that does this .... not quite the same a smart phone I accept ......

cattletruck
6th Sep 2013, 12:29
Looks good Cape :ok:

I have a range of extremely scandalizing swear words in a variety of languagesHyFlyer, thanks for reminding me, I forgot that I knew all the bad Hindi words and phrases. Here are some of the cleaner ones:

Namaste Ghandu = Hello ya bastard.
Sewer Karbacha = Child of a pig.
Burra Gar Kahnchi = A fat arsed member of the gay Hindi cult (Hidjera) who shamefully hides his belief by wearing normal clothes.

:}

Airborne Aircrew
6th Sep 2013, 12:50
500:

It was at that point I stopped complaining about SWMBO uploading pics onto facebook and her photograph storage websites... Glad she does!!
Several years ago I got a sales call at work from someone trying to sell us printer supplies. This was before my politeness to cold calling salesmen had gone the way of the dinosaurs. I listened patiently to the first 15 or so seconds of his spiel and politely said "I'm sorry, we're not really interested". He continued and I repeated myself. He continued and I said "Thank you very much, I'm busy and must leave now, goodbye" and put the phone down.

Less than 30 seconds later the phone rang again. I picked it up and it was sh1t for brains. He began by telling me that I should never put the f$king phone down on him again. I asked why and he informed me that he would kick my arse. I said I work at [Address here] how long will it take you to get here. I was informed he already knew where I worked and he'd kick my arse. I again invited him down and asked what time he would be there so I could meet him in the parking lot to avoid getting his blood on my bosses nice new carpeting. He put the phone down on me. How I wish we had had caller ID back then... :E

500N
6th Sep 2013, 13:39
I was at my GF's one Friday night. She does not like cold callers
and sure enough, one called, I answered. After the usual start,
"No, not interested ......" and they just kept on and on, my GF
was looking at me, I must have been close to the edge that night
as after about a minute, I just exploded down the phone with some
volume and not so complimentary words and slammed the phone
down. Don't think she received another call !

MadsDad
6th Sep 2013, 14:46
Cattletruck. A few years ago a mate of mine had exactly your 'cold call' problem (except his was about 3 in the morning, so even more inconvenient). He did a bit of investigating, got the rogue calls traced, and it turned out to be a Coke vending machine. It was programmed to call a 'refill' order (computer to computer) but had got the wrong number programmed into it (2 digits reversed, IIRC).

So tyhe coke machine was empty and my mate was well teed off. Just a thought.