PDA

View Full Version : VDSR

Crabbing
3rd Sep 2013, 07:20
Lads and Lassies,

Can you recommend a VDSR handler/FBO?
Is there anything we need to have in mind when planning or executing a flight into there?
Any good hotel you can recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Crabbing

envoy
4th Sep 2013, 02:13
G'day Crabbing

If you have a few days to spend in Siem Reap, you are in for a treat.

Crew will need visas for arrival. Do an internet search for 'Cambodia evisa' and fill in the details. Cost is around USD25-30, AMEX not accepted. The process takes a few working days, print out a couple of copies and carry with you on arrival. If the trip is at short notice, talk directly to your handler in advance of your arrival about a Plan B - they *may* be able to arrange visa on arrival.

There is no FBO as such; I recall a VIP terminal, but this does not function in the manner that FBOs function in USA/Europe. The handler will be able to coordinate water/lav/fuel for you.

We always use Helicopters Cambodia for ground handling at our Cambodian destinations. Professional and friendly Kiwi staff, assisted by locals. Importantly, they are easy to communicate with. I have found them spot on with their advice and special requests.

We stayed at the Le Meridien in Siem Reap - nice hotel, but location was a little far out of the town centre. There are multiple high end options, but no Marriotts if you are so inclined.

If you have time off there, do your research and go see Angkor Wat, Angkor Tom and the other sights in SR. Amazing place...

Safe trip!

EDIT: Check your Jepp chart NOTAMS etc for routing in and out of VDSR: I recall ATC had preferred routing listed for movements in and out.

beebo
4th Sep 2013, 03:17
Helicopters Cambodia is the only ground handler.
There is a new VIP terminal operating, but from what I understand the costs associated with this are exorbitant, and most VIP, biz-jet arrivals choose to use the normal International terminal.
Arrivals only on 05 and departures only on 23 due to the temples. This time of year has seen a lot of unusually strong westerlies, with a subsequent rise in go-rounds. Be aware.
Tower staff speak reasonable english. Speak slow and clearly, but it's still a giggle sometimes listening to pilots & Tower trying to work things out.
There's loads of hotels from $1 dorms to $1000 suites. Raffles, Sofitel, Amansara, Le Meridien and the new Park Hyatt are the brand name places to stay here but loads of reasonably priced 3-4 star properties too.
I currently live here so shoot us a PM if you need further info.
Enjoy!

Crabbing
5th Sep 2013, 10:15
This is great info, thanks!