PDA

View Full Version : Flying is most dangerous Alaskan occupation!

Cyclic Hotline
5th May 2002, 00:37
This is the actual NIOSH study (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5116a3.htm), it is more informative than a summary news version. Timely reminder at this time of the year, as the summer season gears up.

Alaska Leads Nation in Civilian Pilot Deaths
Mon Apr 29, 2:09 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Poor weather conditions, outdated fuel systems and the need to fly at night have helped to make civilian plane crashes the leading cause of occupational death in Alaska, according to a recent report.

The study by researchers at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) (CDC) found that airplane crashes caused 107 deaths among civilian pilots between 1990 and 1999 in Alaska--roughly 5 times the death rate for all US pilots and 100 times the mortality rate for US workers in general. What's more, deaths among civilian pilots in Alaska have surpassed fatalities among workers in the fishing and logging industries, two of the state's main industries.

To investigate why more civilian pilots in Alaska were dying, researchers with the CDC and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health analyzed national crash reports. Their study revealed that flying at night, poor weather conditions requiring the use of special instruments to navigate, failing to use a seatbelt, and crashes involving a fire were associated with pilot deaths.

For instance, pilots were 14 times more likely to die in a crash when a fire occurred and 7 times more likely to die in a crash that occurred during conditions of poor visibility requiring the use of special instruments.

Pilots flying in darkness or away from an airport were twice as likely to die in a crash, the researchers report in the April 26th issue of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, issued by the CDC.

"Additional pilot training, improved fuel systems that are less likely to ignite in crashes, and company policies that discourage flying in poor weather conditions might help decrease pilot fatalities," the report indicates.

In Alaska, 90% of communities are not connected to a highway. As a result, commuter and air taxi flights are needed to transport passengers and deliver mail and services throughout the state.

"Companies should direct pilots to return to base if they encounter weather requiring instrument use and to avoid flying if they are likely to encounter (weather requiring instrument use)," the investigators conclude. "Use of improved fuel systems that are less likely to ignite following a crash could improve post-crash survivability."

SOURCE: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2002;51:347-349.

George Semel
6th May 2002, 03:11
What that nice little study failed to mention is that half of all Americans that hold Pilot certificates, live in Alaska. They also fly more at any given time do to well you have to in Alaska if you are going to get around. Yea guys get killed flying in Alaska, they die in cars and in bath tubs too. Every now and again Mr. Brown Bear or Mr. Moose kills an Alaskan too. Then lets see there are the Doctors and the Hospitals, you can go on and on about it, but life is a risk, you do your best to mananage the risk, but if you want a risk free life, then say in you bed and don't move. Sure the flying in Alaska is more demanding than say flying in Florida. You could say that the flying in the Amazon would be just as hazardous, you don't here much about it because, there are not the numbers of pilots in the population in Brazil like in the Sate of Alaska. I found flying in Alaska not to be all that much different, sure to take the time to do some extra planning and you stay with in the FAR's and the companies Operations Spec's and Ops Manuals. And most of all be willing to say No, I will not do that. Hell I rather fly in Alaska that in the lower 48 or any were else for that matter. I always thought that being a Crab fisherman was the dangerous thing to do. But I guess the CDC likes to eat crab and maybe since 9/11 what do we need with Light Aircraft ?

zerozero
6th May 2002, 07:26
I'm sorry to say but it's gonna take more than seatbelts and improved fuel systems to reduce aviation related deaths in Alaska.

The problem with safety in Alaska is cultural, attitudinal and organizational.

The problem is with the leadership in the local companies.

I once heard an operator remark: I'm not competing against the *best* operator; I have to compete against the *worst* operator--the one who doesn't think the rules apply to his operation.

There is only one thing that will change the attitudes in Alaska: Time.

I don't care if there are no roads in Alaska. It's not 1944 anymore.

We don't need to fly like heros everyday.

The groceries will still be there tomorrow.