PDA

View Full Version : Yikes - Lined up on RWY edge lights not centre line!

Capt Claret
31st Aug 2013, 04:52
Abbott’s mystery flying airline in serious incident

BEN SANDILANDS | AUG 30, 2013 3:47PM

An Alliance F-100, which is slightly larger than an F-70: Wikipedia Commons

An Alliance Airlines F-70 of a type being chartered by Opposition leader Tony Abbott for ‘magical mystery tour’ election campaign flights for the captive media was involved in a ‘serious incident’ at Newcastle Airport (Williamtown) on Monday night.

Crikey understand Abbott wasn’t on board at the time, nor is it clear if any of his entourage and media were also onboard or even if it was flying under charter to the Coalition at the time, but the ATSB is conducting an inquiry.

At 6.40 pm the jet, which was chartered for a short flight to Sydney, attempted to take off while lined up with the runway edge lights instead of the centre line.

As described by this entry in the Aviation Herald the mistake was detected at low speed and the takeoff abandoned.

This is a serious incident that never led to serious consequences. The risk was that the jet could have become unstable if the gear was broken or directional control was impaired or other damage caused by running over an unprepared surface.

Alliance is trusted by the Coalition to convey media and members of the Abbott entourage and perhaps the leader himself around the country. Regardless of the exact relationship the campaign flights may or may not have had to this part of its fleet, this incident isn’t ‘a good look’ for the airline to use one of Abbott’s favourite phrases.

If the election outcome is to be decided by a fireball, it needs to happen at the ballot boxes tomorrow week, and not in a campaign plane crash.

But fear not. The ATSB is undertaking one of its celebratedly transparent inquiries, like the Pel-Air farce, led by a Commissioner in Martin Dolan that the members of a Senate committee doesn’t trust, and overseen by a Minister with an apparent contempt for the committee members, and proper process in the ‘independent’ safety investigator.

There but for the grace of the Deity, go I. :ooh:

BPA
31st Aug 2013, 06:54
A Qantaslink Dash8 did the same a few years back in Townsville.

churchie11
31st Aug 2013, 09:16
Do they have LED lights there? I have seen issues with the brightness of LED lights, most noticeably a Delta flight landing on a taxiway

ButFli
31st Aug 2013, 10:00
I'm surprised Sandilands didn't find a way to implicate Qantas in this.

vee1-rotate
31st Aug 2013, 10:52
lol very true. The guy's reporting against Qantas is horrendous most of the time

Tee Emm
31st Aug 2013, 14:01
attempted to take off while lined up with the runway edge lights instead of the centre line.

Some operators recommend in marginal weather or night, to set localiser frequency (if available on that runway) and on line up check the LLZ indication is centred on the HSI. If off centre, suspicions are raised.

LeadSled
31st Aug 2013, 14:32
The guy's reporting against Qantas is horrendous most of the time

If you knew the history, perhaps you would understand.

Ben has always fearlessly reported the facts as he saw them, regardless of the target, something not always appreciated.

After all, there has been a lot to criticise Qantas/Jetstar about in recent years, and not too much to praise.

Tootle pip!!

004wercras
31st Aug 2013, 20:17
Firstly, Ben reporting on this incident is irrelevant and immaterial (although his reporting is on the money as usual :ok:! )The fact is that we have had yet another serious incident. I am more concerned with how thoroughly and transparently it will be investigated by the ATSBeaker and what if anything CAsA will do?
Regardless, the clock keeps counting down. Tick Tock. When it finally does happen wouldn't it be ironic if the aircraft had a handful of society's so called elite, politicians, onboard? That's one way to change Australian aviation.

happyfarm
31st Aug 2013, 21:47
While Ben does report "facts" as he sees them, unfortunately his unbiased style is in the same vain as the Murdoch press. At least he balances the dribble from the mainline media, however I wouldn't call his "factual" reporting unbiased.

Factors influencing misaligned take-off occurrences at night

Investigation number: AR-2009-033
Publication date: 30/06/2010
Publication number: Jun10/ATSB104

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2009/ar2009033.aspx

BoxBoxCheez
1st Sep 2013, 02:56
Interesting someone mentioned it happened at Townsville a few years back, I wonder if the ORPs at military airports are a factor for confusion/misidentification? Although they are generally lit with edge lighting....

Lookleft
1st Sep 2013, 13:30
I can't think of any military airports that have centerline lighting. So if you are lined up on the centerline lights there should be some discussion as to why they are there.

Sqwark2000
2nd Sep 2013, 00:44
Lan Chile did this in Auckland only a couple of months ago. Did a full take off, with the first 1500+ meters of the take off on the runway edge lighting, taking out approx. 15 lights. Not noticed or reported by the crew, the broken lights being found by a runway inspection vehicle.

Another operator has done so recently as well on lining up at Auckland, but was noticed before take off and only 1 light damaged.

Capn Bloggs
2nd Sep 2013, 02:08
there should be some discussion as to why they are there.
Best post of the day so far! A smile to my face, it did bring. http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/rofl2.gif

Fred Gassit
2nd Sep 2013, 03:23
A bit like the Mountain Goat up in the clouds eh?

d_concord
2nd Sep 2013, 09:17
Its interesting how Sandilands ties the incident to the Coalition when in reality the flights are organised by 34 Squadron and the aircraft are shared around equally between the parties so that no favouritism is given. Nothing to do with the coalition, the taxpayer is paying for it with the press contributing to the flight as required.

Basil
2nd Oct 2013, 20:12
Not the first time nor will it be the last.
Taxiing at Middle East airport; RHS big airline many years ago; captain ex RAF QFI; approaching turn (stupid boy!) looked down to get docs from briefcase, looked up and the old man had put her on the taxiway edge lights - which were on stalks :ooh:
Plus points were: huge hard shoulder (which had suckered him into it a bit) and engineer inspection revealed no tyre damage.
:O:O:O:O:O

mikedreamer787
2nd Oct 2013, 22:22
Some blokes forget that a taxiway is centreline green and sideline
blue when the centerline green isn't there.

Either that or they're colorblind?

Seen it happen in IST in my younger days as a FO on the 747 and
once in JFK. Sticking a Whale's wing gear into the dirt can lead to
some serious poo.

d_concord
2nd Oct 2013, 23:48
Subversive,

I dont know what mechanism was used to contract the aircraft with 34 Sq. The point I make is that it wasn't either main party doing the hiring.

If you remember last election there was a NZ operator that was operating, organised by Adagold I believe, that were then shut down by the NZ CAA within a very short time.

I don't have a problem with 34 Sq doing the hiring as long as they take responsibility for the standards rather than use brokers who don't care. It wouldn't happen in the mining industry now where they audit all operators. Whys should it happen with our pollies and military.

FoxtrotAlpha18
3rd Oct 2013, 00:39
The aircraft were contracted through the Joint Movements Group (JMG) and had nothing to do with 34SQN or Adagold.

nitpicker330
3rd Oct 2013, 04:39
My FO nearly did a similar thing at night in rain on the parallel taxyway in Bali. Mis-identified the sideline blue and tried to put the nose over the lights...

Oops.