PDA

View Full Version : NZ ATPL Air Law exam - Do I need AIP vols 2 & 3

flightless_bird
30th Aug 2013, 20:05
Is it possible to do the NZ ATPL Air Law exam without the AIP vols 2 & 3 or are they essential? This might sound like a stupid question but I don't have a copy and to ship one overseas is really expensive. Obviously I will have done lots of study and note taking for the exam so do people just use the AIPs to answer questions they don't know or do you have to look up things as part of the exam?

D check
30th Aug 2013, 20:55
I think you will find a volume 1 more useful than 2 & 3. You can't take material into the exam anyway not even a pen so anything you need is provided on the computer you will use. There were very few questions in the exam that I did anyway that used aerodrome plates (I think there were 2). I used a well expired volume 1 for study, the content still seems to remain much the same although the gnomes in WN reword, move and pretty up everything to keep themselves in a job.

What you will find useful is the rule parts available from the CAA website, parts 121, 125 etc... The AIP volumes also available here free of charge but are a bind to download due to the way they have been separated. AIP New Zealand (http://www.aip.net.nz/)

Enjoy :)

captain oates
31st Aug 2013, 00:51
Flightless bird. Download AC64-7, and print off the exam syllabus for ATPL Law. It lists all examinable material. Go through this list, and beside each subject make a brief note of the required knowledge. It's mainly questions from CAR 91, 125, 121, and AIP ENR, all of which is availiable for free online. Nothing at all difficult. I scored a good pass this way, with not an unreasonable amount of effort. (Few days). This way you can be confident you've covered all possible material, most of which is basic commercial law.
And you don't need hard copies of Vol 2 and 3.
Good luck.

Ralis
31st Aug 2013, 08:15
NZ ATPL LAW requires vol 2 & 3

https://caanz.aspeqexams.com/Home/Info (click on pilots tag and scroll down)

Capt. On Heat
31st Aug 2013, 12:14
To me that says they are permitted, not required - which was F.Birds question.

Depends on your recall, and to be fair you probably should have a decent enough grasp on the bits in them-bit hard to pull them out in the Cruise or Approach when something happens.

Most people I know never bothered having them and were successful first time.

lilflyboy262...2
31st Aug 2013, 22:40
I used it quite a bit for my exam. More for checking my answers.... but still used it.

Ralis
1st Sep 2013, 10:54
didn't use them as much as I thought I would either but still used them

lookxian
7th Oct 2013, 16:56
is there and question database available to perpare for the exam.Such as the book Gleim for FAA test

27/09
8th Oct 2013, 06:34
is there and question database available to perpare for the exam.Such as the book Gleim for FAA test

In a word, NO.

flightless_bird
8th Oct 2013, 10:45
There is no question bank as such, although I did the online course at atpl online dot co dot nz and found it really useful. As well as the syllabus they have two practice exams that you can which were great as the question style is similar to what you can expect in the actual exam. Also, in the syllabus they highlight what to concentrate on and what to devote less attention to which I found unvaluable.

flightless_bird
8th Oct 2013, 10:53
Having just sat the exam I can now say that you don't need the AIP to pass but there are a couple of questions where you will need to look up the answer in the AIP. Things like if you do the XXXX arrival from YYYY waypoint into NZAA then what entry will you do to enter the ZZZZ hold. If you fly into NZAA a lot then you may know but I certainly didn't. Another one was how long is the outbound of the WWWW hold (sorry, I just can't remember all the names).

So if you can handle having to guess a few questions then during your study just look online at aip.net.nz, otherwise I'd buy them (which is what I ended up doing). The one good thing about buying them is you get to see what parts of the GEN and ENR sections are actually in Vols 2 & 3 as it's actually much less than I envisaged. So if you counted on being able to look some stuff up in the exam rather than remembering it you may have to think again.

Anyway, hope that helps.

pineappledaz
10th Oct 2013, 08:46
I had to refer to Vol 2 for 2 questions. Both for AA. One about the length of a hold and the other about a MDA.

lookxian
22nd Oct 2013, 13:40
thank you man