PDA

View Full Version : The much-maligned and mostly-innocent potato(e) chip...

airship
30th Aug 2013, 15:48
Rumour has it that Belgium still (and always held that title for the past 30-40 years) has the best freshly-fried potato-chips in Europe. Regardless, the Americans renamed their mostly thin and stringy (stingy)-looking "French-fries" to "Freedom-fries" over a decade ago as a way of ostracising the French and their refusal to "go along" with the USA's asperations in 2003.

How do you all today consider "UK or GB potato(e) chips" in the wake of the UK Parliament refusing UK PM's David Cameron's reasons for a military intervention / retaliation yesterday?

I've considered various options. Unfortunetly, no UK / British chips were ever well-known as "UK / British" or just "Brit" fries etc. The best I've been able to come with so far is "Brit Crisps". Pretty much embodies how PM David Cameron confidently thought he would succeed (as Tony Bliar did a decade ago), in attempting to feed the UK's citizens and their elected representatives, "with extremely thin slivers of potato(e)s, deeply-fried but devoid of any taste except those provided by artificial flavourings / additives / substances... :ok::sad:

Cacophonix
30th Aug 2013, 15:52
How do you all consider "UK or GB potato(e) chips" in the wake of the UK Parliament refusing UK PM's David Cameron's reasons for a military intervention / retaliation yesterday?

Give me some more vinegar with my chips and let the politicians jump from the frying pan into the fire by themselves....

Caco

fenland787
30th Aug 2013, 16:00
The most common thing tagged as 'English' over that side of the pond are muffins so I guess it is 'English Muffins' that will shortly be renamed.........

sitigeltfel
30th Aug 2013, 16:06
Cameron has had his chips.

The SSK
30th Aug 2013, 16:09
"Could I have some mustard with my steak?"

"Certainly sir, we can offer you American Grey Poupon, Louisiana brown creole, or if you insist there's yellow English or yellow French"

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2013, 16:28
Yes, English muffins will now be known as Freedom Muffins.

Take that you yellow-bellied, tea-drinking, Big Ben-constructing surrender monkeys. :}:}:}

er340790
30th Aug 2013, 16:31
Not forgetting: FREEDOM :mad: BREAKFAST TEA!!!!! :E

er340790
30th Aug 2013, 16:32
And pretty girls will now have to be known as A Freedom Rose.

er340790
30th Aug 2013, 16:35
Not all bad though. There will also be the

Bank of Freedom

Queen of Freedom

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2013, 16:36
er:

Freedom Rose for a pretty girl? That's odd. Here in Da Bronx, NYC most often I hear women, or girls, referred to as ho'es.
As in: "Yo muthaf**ka, check out dat hoe. She be da bomb."

Freedom Rose, or English Rose, does sound a bit more civilized I think. :}

mikedreamer787
30th Aug 2013, 16:49
American intellectuals are pretty inventive when
it comes to finding ways to use chips.

C0gsdLoc7mA

radeng
30th Aug 2013, 17:42
'Proper' English chips are about 3/8 inch square, about 2 and half to 3 inches long and are cooked in beef dripping. Not these weaselly matchstick type things!

A good support for cod fried in batter, or fried egg and grilled sausages and even some grilled black pudding.....(grilled because you have to eat healthily these days!)

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2013, 17:48
radeng wrote:

'Proper' English chips are about 3/8 inch square, about 2 and half to 3 inches long and are cooked in beef dripping. Not these weaselly matchstick type things!

A good support for cod fried in batter, or fried egg and grilled sausages and even some grilled black pudding.....(grilled because you have to eat healthily these days!)

"Coronary heart disease is the UK's biggest killer, causing around 82000 deaths each year. About one in five men and one in eight women die from the disease."

Nope, no correlation here. Nothing to see now, move along, move along.

bugg smasher
30th Aug 2013, 18:59
I thought large quantities of warm English beer was supposed to wash all that sludge out of the system?

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2013, 19:23
bugg:

Well, I guess going by the heart attack statistics provided by the National Healthcare System in the UK, that warm English beer isn't quite washing enough of the sludge out of the system to make much of a difference. :}:}:}

airship
30th Aug 2013, 20:24
rgbrock1 appears to favour something along the lines of "warm-beer drinking surrender monkeys". If I'd wanted to hear about warm-beer drinking surrender monkeys, I'd have started my thread with that. :confused:

Chips, potato(e) chips and variants, if you don't mind. Otherwise, someone else will get carried away with Camembert, Brie, or even Cheddar flavours...

wings folded
30th Aug 2013, 20:32
Actually, old boy, NHS stands for "National Health Service"

G-CPTN
30th Aug 2013, 20:55
On the subject of the meaning of initials, in the late 1980s / early 1990s there was a 'fad' for renaming companies according to the initials of their names, thus British Telecom became BT (and, whilst you might think it obvious, the actual registered name is BT and not British Telecom).

I'm sure that there are many other examples.

Krystal n chips
31st Aug 2013, 06:40
" "Coronary heart disease is the UK's biggest killer, causing around 82000 deaths each year. About one in five men and one in eight women die from the disease."

Nope, no correlation here. Nothing to see now, move along, move along

Sadly, your perceptions of UK cuisine, and the associated health problems are somewhat flawed.

Although as this does not involve guns and associated military institutionalised indoctrination, this is quite understandable.

True, we do fry food ( radeng missed out fried bread....very remiss !....;) ) however, you would be lucky, or unlucky depending on your point of view, to find any chip shop still using beef dripping for example ( a link to any that do would be appreciated ! ) and the fabled "Full English breakfast" has not been on the average household menu for many years.

In days past, Fish n Chips was the only convenience food available and the coronary problems were more likely to be induced through a combination of living standards, smoking, working environments than the consumption of said dish. I agree that, comparatively speaking, we did not eat what is now termed a healthy diet. We did however, exercise more, simply because of work and transport...legs being around long before cars.

Times change however, and, thanks in no small part to the Land of the Gorging Gluttons, we now have pizza's, kebabs, burgers, processed food. all readily available, all with the nutritional content of soggy cardboard, and the culinary appeal of whatever source of excrement you care to name.

Thus, along with an increase in coronary problems, we have an even more damaging increase in diabetes.....and here there is a well established correlation.

Heart disease in Scotland however is a different matter. The Scots do, sadly, retain a rather unhealthy consumption rate of fried food...although it has to be said that Scottish cuisine overall is very palatable.

I hope this has proved educational therefore....in addition to your new found understanding of what the initials N.H.S stand for....

Time for my deep fried lentils and museli.....while I read the Grudian over breakfast.

handysnaks
31st Aug 2013, 07:39
however, you would be lucky, or unlucky depending on your point of view, to find any chip shop still using beef dripping for example ( a link to any that do would be appreciated ! )

KnC, go to Yorkshire!

Tankertrashnav
31st Aug 2013, 08:38
Certainly sir, we can offer you American Grey Poupon, Louisiana brown creole, or if you insist there's yellow English or yellow French"

Never heard of Poupon so I had to Google it. Do you really mean to tell me that Americans are regularly asked if they would like Poupon their steak? ;)

onetrack
31st Aug 2013, 09:37
"Coronary heart disease is the UK's biggest killer, causing around 82000 deaths each year. About one in five men and one in eight women die from the disease."

rgbrock1 just might like to reword his previous statement from, "the UK" - to "the US of A"?? - the land of fast food, vast amounts of greasy pork, huge sauce lashings, and the greatest consumer of high-fructose corn syrup in the Western world??
It appears that nearly 600,000 deaths from heart disease in the USA (in 2010) is a considerably higher rate, per head of population, than the UK figures?

FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death in the USA (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm)

Re British fried potato chips? I think David Cameron has ended up with the thin end of the (potato) wedge, and has had cold oil splashed all over him. I guess this will now make him an even more slippery politician.

wings folded
31st Aug 2013, 13:36
It appears that nearly 600,000 deaths from heart disease in the USA (in 2010) is a considerably higher rate, per head of population, than the UK figures?I don't think so. I forget which year but comparative figures were:

US population 290 million
Heart attack & stroke deaths 677,000
Percentage 0.233

UK population 60 million
Heart attack & stroke deaths 179,000
Percentage 0.298

On the other hand, there were 51 gun deaths in the UK in 2010. In the US there were 30,000.

I would much rather die in due course from eating yummy proper breakfasts than from being shot by some nutter.

mikedreamer787
31st Aug 2013, 13:45
I would much rather die in due course from eating yummy proper breakfasts

Me too! :)

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000TULOZg28o.Q/fit=/fill=200x200/g=G00007dSJGh4Tz6k/I0000TULOZg28o.Q.jpg

Krystal n chips
31st Aug 2013, 16:53
And, by a happy coincidence, in today's edition.....

A chef's tour of north-west England | Travel | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/aug/30/north-west-manchester-food-restaurant-guide)

Other locations in the side menu...in case you missed them...;)

Flash2001
31st Aug 2013, 18:05
Pardon...

The best French fried potatoes in the world are found on Ontario and maybe Quebec back roads at parked or sometimes semi-permanent chip trucks only in summer and fall. Just had some yesterday yum!

After an excellent landing etc...

lomapaseo
31st Aug 2013, 19:01
And, by a happy coincidence, in today's edition.....

A chef's tour of north-west England | Travel | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/aug/30/north-west-manchester-food-restaurant-guide)

Too much compliment and not another content

Since I plan on eating out a lot NW England next year, I tend to stick to common people-to-people ratings like Tripadvisor and/or Yelp for places I can afford/and/or walk to.

handsfree
1st Sep 2013, 09:41
The chippy at the Black Country Museum still fries in beef dripping.
Well worth a visit.

Eat & Drink - Cafe, Chip Shop, Pub & Shops - Black Country Living Museum (http://www.bclm.co.uk/visiting/where-to-eat--drink/21.htm)

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Sep 2013, 12:10
The best French fried potatoes in the world are found on Ontario and maybe Quebec back roads at parked or sometimes semi-permanent chip trucks only in summer and fall.

Mmmmmmpoutine...! Food of the gods.:ok:

MagnusP
2nd Sep 2013, 11:45
One of my Sunday papers reported a disgraceful case of racist attitudes in Scotland (please bear with me - it's on-topic).

A gentleman with Glaswegian origins but living in Edinburgh recently went in to a chip shop for some fish and chips. Eschewing what he regarded as the east coast effete habit of applying salt 'n' sauce (proper brown chip sauce, that is) to his meal, he asked for salt 'n' tomato ketchup. He was offered a sachet of the requested tracklement at the not unreasonable price of 25p. However, this would not do. If sauce was provided free of charge, then ketchup should also be free. The only possible reason for the disparity must be that Edinburgh was racist to Glaswegians, and off he stomped to his local trading standards to complain, unsuccessfully it has to be said.

Lightning Mate
2nd Sep 2013, 13:29
Ever watched "Man v Food"?

This is AyMerica y'all.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/Eagles-Deli-Burger_zps7730a08a.jpg

Mike X
2nd Sep 2013, 14:07
Nope, it's here.

http://www.google.co.za/maps/vt/data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,70Vf4qPdZDJ-keXTXztowJd_po664g6Z5iSqP_2PiuIb_2C-DnZe8ZkD4mh9l6njw0M7AoOHTRr0HbZrXBO6X-8vW8TiO3CJN5UqWTw8sCl-2QUqQedOge1h77liOMix7G3QrHppPDrz2t_vYgHwIkI6Fmtuib6CcDhwH5Nv fMPBQNprm1gSCjnLPeWyv6ZUtYQCZ8Os

TURIN
2nd Sep 2013, 15:41
I thought large quantities of warm English beer was supposed to wash all that sludge out of the system?

English beer is not warm. It is cellar temperature. Cold in the winter, tepid in summer. Perfect.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

TURIN
2nd Sep 2013, 15:46
The chippy at the Black Country Museum still fries in beef dripping.
Well worth a visit.

Eat & Drink - Cafe, Chip Shop, Pub & Shops - Black Country Living Museum

THE BEST fish and chips I have ever tasted, anywhere. Huge queues though.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

cockney steve
3rd Sep 2013, 10:36
I think something's been lost in translation, here

CHIPS USA= Thin slices of fried crispy potato saturated in oil/fat.

These are known in the UK as CRISPS......and yes, they're the epitome of junk food.

CHIPS UK sticks of potato, usually square-cut but can be oblong and usually cut lengthwise from the Tuber...steak-cut~5/8 x3/8 standard chips around 3/8 square (measurements =imperial inches:}
Cooked properly, chips have a very low fat-content.

As a meal, Fish and Chips (with mushy peas, if you like) forms a highly nutritious balanced meal which has a far LOWER fat content than ANY OTHER TAKEAWAY MEAL. Proven fact!
There is an Iphone app- "I fish for chips" which is sponsored by the National Federation of Fish Friers (100 years old this year)
this will show where all the good chippies are, near you with a host of details about the food they serve

Coleacs can get Gluten free! some do Halal, some fry in dripping some in Veg. oil.

Shameless plug for good, healthy eating, not to be confused with Murican "chips" wot eni fule kno is CRISPS.