PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Sea Vixens still flying?

Bob Bevan
30th Aug 2013, 15:43
Can anyone tell me if there are still any Sea Vixens in the air.

I was working from home (just North of Poole, Dorset) a few days back when I heard a roaring noise. Disappearing in to the distance was the back end of a twin boom aircraft. It looked like a Sea Vixen and I cannot think what else it could have been but for some reason I had thought there were no more airworthy Sea Vixens around (more's the pity).

Agaricus bisporus
30th Aug 2013, 18:49
I suppose there are still some people around who need the term "search engine" explaining to them...:rolleyes:

Noah Zark.
30th Aug 2013, 18:57
Bob,
Go onto GINFO and look up G-CVIX.

JAKL
30th Aug 2013, 19:58
I taxied out of World Wide at Bournemouth the other day while they were carrying out ground runs on the Sea Vixen. Impressive, to say the least! I think it's the same Vixen that suffered a little damage on landing a while ago, looks pretty good now.

http://www.dehavillandaviation.co.uk/Projects/seavixen.htm

Wyvernfan
30th Aug 2013, 20:53
And apparently, Agaricus bisporus, some people need the term "good manners" explaining to them as well.

Why not just answer the original question constructively in the first place, instead of trying to be clever with a sarky comment?

Rob

DaveReidUK
30th Aug 2013, 21:16
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Sea+Vixen+flying (http://www.google.co.uk/#q=Sea+Vixen+flying)

Really, how hard would that have been ?

Skipness One Echo
30th Aug 2013, 21:46
Really, how hard would that have been ?
For a 51 year old? Possibly tricky, best not to be a smart arse in these circumstances, it just makes us ppruners look small minded.

Ye Olde Pilot
30th Aug 2013, 22:24
The late Marcus Edwards use to fly one out of Swansea many moons ago.

Chris Scott
30th Aug 2013, 22:59
Really... Did it roar, or just mumble?

Bob,
Was it a twin you saw?

DaveReidUK
31st Aug 2013, 16:41
For a 51 year old? Possibly tricky, best not to be a smart arse in these circumstances, it just makes us ppruners look small minded.But ageism is OK, presumably. :O

joy ride
31st Aug 2013, 17:22
One did a great flying display at RNAS Culdrose, Cornwall 4 or 5 summers ago, it was great to watch and made quite a satisfying racket!

yorky66
31st Aug 2013, 17:29
Why not just type in "Pprune - Sea Vixen"

It replies...Sea Vixen XP924...with super pictures !

And incidentally it's flying tonight at the Bournemouth Air Festival...you'll probably hear it ...if not see it from Poole!

srobarts
31st Aug 2013, 18:21
One did a great flying display at RNAS Culdrose, Cornwall 4 or 5 summers ago, it was great to watch and made quite a satisfying racket!
There was a stunning display by the Sea Vixen at this years Culdrose Air Day last month. Spectacular and such a lovely noise. Delightful.

Bob Bevan
2nd Sep 2013, 18:18
I should have waited with my question because I made it down to the Bournemouth airshow and saw the Sea Vixen flying in the evening on Saturday. The show was tremendous, with clear blue skies and over 400,000 people.

Two highlights for me:

The Saturday display from the Hawker Hunter called Miss Demeanour, it's amazing to think the design is over 60 years old.
Playing golf on Sunday on our course which is 3 miles from the end of Bournemouth Airport runway in a direct line to the coast. Eurofighter, Meteor and Vampire all flew over, topped off by the Battle of Britain flight. You have never seen so many sliced shots in your life!

Bob