PDA

View Full Version : Thai Airways A380 hits turbulence, 20 hurt

Ye Olde Pilot
30th Aug 2013, 11:48
Looking at the cabin damage it looks like it was a bit rough for a few minutes
About 20 passengers and a cabin attendant on a Thai Airways International (THAI) A-380 flight to Hong Kong were injured when the plane encountered air turbulence shortly before landing on Friday morning.
Flight TG600 departed Thailand at 8.16am for Hong Kong, THAI deputy managing director Chokchai Panyayong said. It ran into air turbulence shortly before descending to land. The captain turned on the seatbelts sign, but about 20 passengers and one member of the cabin crew who had not yet fastened their belts were injured. The most severe injury was a broken collarbone. Fire trucks and rescue vehicles stood by at Hong Kong International Airport to assist as the plane landed safely around 12.08pm Hong Kong time. The Thai Airway press statement said there were 500 passengers, two captains and 24 other crew members on board the flight. A flight operated by Hong Kong Airlines, HX762, from Phuket International Airport was also hit by air turbulence while landing in Hong Kong about 9.30am (Thai time). Six people, were reported injured - three passengers and three cabin crew. The plane landed safely.

Sunnyjohn
1st Sep 2013, 18:03
Received wisdom is to wear your seatbelt for the duration of the flight on short haul flights. I appreciate that one might need the toilet although I can never understand why normal human beings suddenly lose control of their bladders on short-haul flights. Since, other than using the toilet, one cannot go anywhere, I'm not quite sure what people have got against wearing their seatbelts for two hours - they would in a car.

obgraham
1st Sep 2013, 19:30
I appreciate that one might need the toilet although I can never understand why normal human beings suddenly lose control of their bladders on short-haul flights. Consider yourself fortunate, John, that you have attained our senior age group without having had your prostate grow to the size of an apple. Or maybe you were smart enough to have it cored!

Basil
1st Sep 2013, 22:41
Received wisdom is to wear your seatbelt for the duration of the flight on short haul flights.
Even going UK> Australia mine is always fastened unless I wish to leave my seat.

Leftofcentre2009
2nd Sep 2013, 10:37
can never understand why normal human beings suddenly lose control of their bladders on short-haul flights.

I agree entirely. a short haul flight of around 2hrs and as soon as the DING sounds for the seatbelts its like sitting in court when the judge enters the room :)

Even elderly folk - do you really need the toilet at 2hr intervals and if so, does that mean you have to pay a visit 12 times a day? That must be very inconvenient . . .

ExXB
2nd Sep 2013, 14:05
On a two hour flight it's more likely to be three hours, at least, between toilet opportunities.. Not many gate areas actually have toilets and it is not the first thing you find on 'de-planing' either.

Never give up the opportunity to relieve your bladder!

berkshire boy
2nd Sep 2013, 17:43
Billy Connolly, lists four things a man should never do after the age of sixty. One is "no man should ever walk past a toilet'. I won't offend you by listing the other three. :hmm:

MPN11
2nd Sep 2013, 18:20
LeftOfCentre2009 ... Your day will come :)

Billy Connolly talks much sense. Not sure what my daily count would be, but certainly a much more frequent event than when I was younger. No prostate problem so far, thank <preferred Deity>

Sunnyjohn
2nd Sep 2013, 20:04
Consider yourself fortunate, John, that you have attained our senior age group without having had your prostate grow to the size of an apple. I do, but I have also been instrumental in looking after it.

givemewings
5th Sep 2013, 23:00
If they left out of BKK, all the secure gates have toilets in the boarding area.

Once a pax got irate with me (swearing etc) when told to return to his seat during climb out of BKK (I was still in my jumpseat) he argued later with the senior that he had been treated like a child , he wanted to go to the bathroom as he'd been waiting for HOURRRRS (all we said was crew are still seated, return to your seat please) senior responded with "Funny, last time I checked there's toilets at the gate and the walk down the airbridge takes a few minutes only, stop swearing at my crew" :ok:

Goes to show even on the short flights you can never be too careful with turbulence. Between Thailand and Hong Kong is always bumpy, around SIN last week we had particularly bad patches suspending the service... and yes, people STILL got out of their seats while we were being suddenly thrown around the galley!! :ugh:

ZFT
6th Sep 2013, 08:10
Leftofcentre2009

can never understand why normal human beings suddenly lose control of their bladders on short-haul flights.

I agree entirely. a short haul flight of around 2hrs and as soon as the DING sounds for the seatbelts its like sitting in court when the judge enters the room http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Even elderly folk - do you really need the toilet at 2hr intervals and if so, does that mean you have to pay a visit 12 times a day? That must be very inconvenient . . .

This is not an age issue. There are a myriad of reasons why pax (of all ages) need to go to the lavatory and obviously you are yet to be inflicted by any of them but maybe just a little compassion wouldn't go amiss.

Ancient Observer
6th Sep 2013, 16:19
Shame this isn't in JB. If it were, one could argue that some contributors were taking the p***.

I'm afraid that I am one of those who goes to the loo on short haul flights.
1. I like to stretch my legs
2. I do not like to stretch my bladder.

But, I always do what the signs/crew etc tell me to do.