PDA

View Full Version : Does this Remind You of Anyone ...

FantomZorbin
30th Aug 2013, 09:22
This was gleaned from Air Clues of May 1977. If this infringes copyright etc. will the MODs please delete it and accept my apologies.

The original had accompanying pictures but my copy is too faint to reproduce.

The Officers

(by Flt Lt R.P. “Bob” Vere with apologies to A.A.Milne)

Rabbit Industrious bureaucrat of the forest, leader of a team of “Friends and Relations” and a great one for drawing up plans and schedules, clearly the O & M man. Rabbit is the perfect organisation man, who wakes up feeling it is “Just the day for writing a Notice Signed Rabbit and for seeing what everyone else thought about it”.

Owls The elder statesman, with a reputation for scholarship and great knowledge, even if he turns out to be wrong. Owls are always chosen to sit on committees which sound impressive but aren’t really. Their addresses (never talks) go on and on, using longer and longer words and end up where they started.

Eeyores Always complaining (in a Resigned sort ofway), that nobody tells them anything. Often unwilling to co-operate and, when forced to, comment “It’s been tried before and it didn’t work then”. Eeyores don’t fit in, are non-conformists, usually disillusioned, always expect the worse, but an excellent corrective to the bouncy Tiggers.

Tiggers The bouncy trainee big wheel, full of rejected aspirations. Every project begins with enthusiasm and ends disastrously. Tiggers don’t like sensible, mundane jobs, but settle in well with Kangas (Motherly Managers) who keep them occupied and take no notice of their ebullience. They are much admired by Roos – who are rather younger than Tiggers really, all trying to be with it.

Piglets Tiggers are a great trial to Piglets,just because of their bounciness. Piglets are naturally scared, but dream of great and even heroic exploits which they lack the courage to attempt. To them a leader is one of the Forest Animals – and a kind word from one, like the sight of Christopher Robin’s blue braces, excites them wonderfully. Piglets are intelligent, friendly and capable at times of very brave things simply because they have to overcome their anxieties first. One feels that piglets get Ulcers.

Poohs There are probably more Poohs in the Forest (Air Force) than any others. They may be Bears of Very Little Brain, long words confuse them, professional jargon merely muddles them, the System deplores their lack of Service education. Cranwell-trained Tiggers may write them off as old-fashioned and stupid; but, as Piglet once said, “Pooh hasn’t much Brain but he never comes to any harm. He does silly things and they turn out right”. Poohs are the backbone of the Air Force; stable and unflappable; not clever but sound. They inspire affection (Silly Old Bear); they take time to think and they succeed because they avoid being too clever or too cautious. If they don’t know something, they ask someone who does. Pooh, generally, is not a worrier. He is, in fact, a philosopher, and a very practical one at that.

There are officers who cannot make up their minds. They see so many pros and cons that every alternative is beset with pitfalls. Every solution has its snags. In such a dilemma Eeyore will always look on the gloomy side, Rabbit will Design a Procedure, Piglet will scent a Heffalump, and Pooh? – remember the day of the big gale, when Pooh and Piglet were on their way to see Owl:-

“Supposing a treefell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?”

“Supposing it didn’t,” said Pooh after careful thought.

AIR CLUES, May 1977 p191

NutLoose
30th Aug 2013, 09:39
Nice, BTW if you see the Winco Spry thread they are upping them on line, see page two, then adding a selection of older ones which they will rotate as and when :)

Roadster280
30th Aug 2013, 13:52
So we're saying most Air Force officers are Pooh then?

Union Jack
30th Aug 2013, 18:57
Poohs There are probably more Poohs in the Forest (Air Force) than any others.

Well, this bit tends to remind me of what bears allegedly do in the woods so, with my dark blue hat on, who am I to disagree with this statement!:E

Jack

octavian
31st Aug 2013, 22:43
Wonderful.

I remember reading it in Air Clues. Grief is it that long ago

Thank you for posting.

Not sure which I am these days............