PDA

View Full Version : 3 ways to the top

cattletruck
30th Aug 2013, 10:12
Digging around my mother's house bookshelfs I came across an engineering book owned by my late father.

Mechanical World Year Book 1975/76

Thumbing through the book it covers topics such as

properties of saturated steam
drawing cylindrical pressings
extracts from the factories act
power correction factors for v-belts
etc, etc

And on the back is this advertisement:
http://arthurguru.users.sourceforge.net/extra/3waystothetop.jpg

Made me proud to see that dad who came to Australia as a non-English speaking immigrant and worked as a boiler maker/welder had learnt to grasp these technical concepts. Sadly leukemia took him away way too early.

Cacophonix
30th Aug 2013, 10:17
Plenty of decent, honourable and technically sensible stuff there...

These days in our 'service economy' here in the UK the mantra reference 3 ways to the top might be...

"Lie, cheat and lie again..."

Caco

sitigeltfel
30th Aug 2013, 10:31
Sadly, the current education system steers many towards only having the opportunity to say, "would you like to go large for another 50p?"

Sallyann1234
30th Aug 2013, 10:36
Don't think I'd want to learn at a place that called itself an 'ACAMEDY'.

cattletruck
30th Aug 2013, 10:44
Ahh but Sallyann, in those days there was no spell checker, just the need to get to the pub early to line them up for the 6 o'clock swill.

Cacophonix
30th Aug 2013, 10:53
in those days there was no spell checker

It is interesting to note that despite or maybe because of spell checkers, the Grauniad disease has spread to a lot of other prestigious publications. A case of more haste less speed perhaps?

Caco

Worrals in the wilds
30th Aug 2013, 11:03
Change a few nouns and it reads exactly like the 'get that mining job by paying us lots of money' ads run by various training agencies in today's papers.

The more things change...

Cacophonix
30th Aug 2013, 11:11
Ah, the mendacity of advertisers! I remember my great disappointment as a skinny six year old boy in this organisation's failed promises... ;)

http://media.smithsonianmag.com/images/1932-Charles-Atlas-ad-8.jpg

Caco

cockney steve
30th Aug 2013, 11:23
HA! I took the Charles Atlas course, I, too was a seven-stone weakling.

now, I'm an eight stone weakling, but my wallet is a lot lighter and easier to carry.:O

Worrals in the wilds
30th Aug 2013, 11:34
If you buy a modern muscle mag you can catch up with his spiritual descendents, though these days it's all protein shakes and supplements. Same message though!

No actual exercise of course; being free, that would defeat the advertisers' purpose.

Blacksheep
30th Aug 2013, 14:04
The reference in that advert to the use of an "Eduputer" intrigued me. It turns out to be a fake IBM 360 Console, described by its maker as being to computer operators what the Link Trainer is to pilots.

Here's a link (http://www.dvq.com/ads/psc_dm_4_70.jpg)[the image is too big to place here]

I'm not sure that in 1970 I'd have been happy to climb aboard a B707 if I knew it was commanded by a pilot who'd learned how to fly it in a Link Trainer. ;)

Blacksheep
30th Aug 2013, 14:08
Dear Charles Atlas,

I have finally completed the course. Being a seven stone weakling I did find it tough, but I perservered to the end. Please now send the muscles as advertised.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
F. W Spoonbender. Esq.

SpringHeeledJack
30th Aug 2013, 16:17
Ah, but did you try the Chartham Method ? :suspect:

SHJ