PDA

View Full Version : Briton's Holiday Destinations-or maybe not?

Ancient Mariner
30th Aug 2013, 10:08
One in three Britons canít find their most recent European holiday destination on a map, a new study has suggested.
Britons' poor geography revealed - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10256678/Britons-poor-geography-revealed.html)

Shocking, I'd say. Shocking!
Per

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10256678/Britons-poor-geography-revealed.html)

Fareastdriver
30th Aug 2013, 10:14
It does not surprise me at all. Just watch a game show on TV. Questions about entertainment, personalities are easy; history or geography? They're stumped.

cattletruck
30th Aug 2013, 10:20
One in three Britons canít find their most recent European holiday destination on a map

But they can on Google Earth...if they can spell the destination correctly.

sitigeltfel
30th Aug 2013, 10:27
They climb into an alloy tube in the UK then climb out again in a hot sunny place, then reverse the process a week or two later. During their stay they eat all day breakfasts, washed down by gallons of beer.

Most of them will not know, or care where they have been, due to the amount of alcohol consumed.

Capetonian
30th Aug 2013, 10:30
The most shocking example I saw was some brainless bimbo with fake tits, lips, and arse on an idiotic gameshow :

"This is an anagram of a city where the Olympics where recently held. Name the city."
N J I E I G B
"eeh, don't know ........... it's difficult ....... oooh ......umm ....... errr ........ I KNOW : BELGIUM"

I have got used to being asked :
"What country is South Africa in then?"

Worrals in the wilds
30th Aug 2013, 10:45
And Australia's in Northern Europe next door to Germany. :E

McGoonagall
30th Aug 2013, 10:50
A lady of a certain age and her browbeaten husband arrived in the local the other night. She was bitterly complaining about their summer holiday in the Canaries. It was windy from the minute we landed until we took off again, she told anyone who would listen to this (in her own words) extremely well travelled lady. Some brave soul who was as tormented as the rest of us asked her where she had been. Fuerteventura, and I would not go back again for free. When it was gently pointed out to her what the Spanish translation of her destination was she unaccountably lost her thirst and exited to sniggers all round.

:E

Worrals in the wilds
30th Aug 2013, 10:53
Tee hee. Like people who come to Tropical North Queensland and complain that it's hot.
That's what it says on the tin... :rolleyes::}

Lightning Mate
30th Aug 2013, 11:06
Ah.....the great pink brit pot-bellied beach pig.

goudie
30th Aug 2013, 11:25
Ah.....the great pink brit pot-bellied beach pig.

Including tattoos and foul-mouthed wife!

Wyler
30th Aug 2013, 11:31
And Kids Tyler and Britney drinking coke and throwing chips down their gullet.

DADDY-OH!
30th Aug 2013, 12:29
Be careful, Snobs, they pay a lot of wages in this industry.

OFSO
30th Aug 2013, 14:23
Local saying: what arrives on the Costa the colour of a dead fish and goes home the colour of a dead* lobster ? A British tourist (although the Dutch are the same).

* 'Dead' as in 'having met death in boiling water' and not as in 'old age while walking peacefully along beach with nephew.'

Lightning Mate
30th Aug 2013, 14:27
Do you mean a boiled lobster?

1DC
30th Aug 2013, 14:35
Eldest daughter isn't stupid and has a good honours degree in business. I was shocked when she couldn't show me the location of Singapore on the map. It ended with me being told that things were different in her day, she didn't have to be able to draw a map of the world in geography like in my day..

Lightning Mate
30th Aug 2013, 14:36
Bet she knows where bongo bongo land is though.

superq7
30th Aug 2013, 14:47
Perhaps I'm one of the ones your on about.

Off to Majorca on Tuesday one week all inclusive so nothing else to pay maybe a couple of trips on the local bus all this for £800 for me and my wife.
What's wrong with that?

Lon More
30th Aug 2013, 15:50
What's wrong with that

Nothing much, except it was 19 quid a head last time I considered it

Lightning Mate
30th Aug 2013, 16:08
Where's Majorca please?

SpringHeeledJack
30th Aug 2013, 16:12
Well the water in majorca don't taste like wot it outta! :ooh:

SHJ

Shack37
30th Aug 2013, 16:17
When it was gently pointed out to her what the Spanish translation of her
destination was she unaccountably lost her thirst and exited to sniggers all
round.

Why should "Strong Luck" cause her to lose her thirst?

superq7
30th Aug 2013, 17:13
Lightening

It's where our plane lands,near Spain I think.

radeng
30th Aug 2013, 17:18
But it's no different in its way than the bright spark who produced one of these countries lists used in booking hotels, conference rooms etc. One place listed for your home or destination address is often Bouvet Island - many of the websites have copied the same list.

Bouvet is an island in the sub Antarctic, populated by seals and penguins, owned by Norway who send a scientific expedition there every couple of years or so, maybe only for a few hours.........

I suspect that the original writer was playing a subtle joke - the majority of people who know where Bouvet is are radio amateurs.

superq7
30th Aug 2013, 17:21
Rad

Do they do all inclusive there?

Tankertrashnav
30th Aug 2013, 17:29
Off to Majorca on Tuesday one week all inclusive so nothing else to pay maybe a couple of trips on the local bus all this for £800 for me and my wife.
What's wrong with that?

Maybe an excursion by coach to Barcelona for the day as well? ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Aug 2013, 17:45
the majority of people who know where Bouvet is are radio amateurs.

And folks who have spent time down that way. Not easy to even set foot on the island from what I hear. Can only be done by small boat in calm seas (rare), or by helicopter launched from the support vessel. A mate stopped by there during SIBEX and he tells me it's not somewhere you could survive long.

Could be wrong here, but I seem to recall it's also the most remote land mass on the planet, further than anything else from all other dry places.

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2013, 17:55
Capetonian:

Well, you got me. I'd like to know which country South Africa is in. Is it in the Congo? Sudan? I know, I know. It's in Chad. That's it. Chad.

You think your little game-show contestant was a class A dumb ass? I could find it, won't bother though, when some blond bimbo on a game show over here when asked where Germany is, replied: "I think it's a country in Canada". :eek::eek:

My kinda gal. Blond-haired, blue-eyed, big-breasted and dumber than a pile of rocks. Yes. Life is grand!!! :ok::ok::ok:

superq7
30th Aug 2013, 17:57
Tanker
That's in Italy, I'm not stupid, and I've got a CSE in woodwork.

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2013, 17:59
the majority of people who know where Bouvet is are radio amateurs.

I'm not a radio amateur but I certainly know that a Bouvet is something a man pees into. Isn't it?

My bad. I was thinking of a Bidet. That's what one pisses into.

:}:}:}

1DC
30th Aug 2013, 20:48
Stopped for petrol at Flagstaff in Arizona and the guy filling the tank asked where i was all from. I said England, he said "Isn't that somewhere near that Northern Sea where you all have oil"? He seemed very pleased when i said "Yes"..
Didn't realise that they had so much knowledge in Arizona....;);)

vulcanised
30th Aug 2013, 20:50
You Yanks are thick !

A bidet is what you put on your bed to keep warm.

BigEndBob
30th Aug 2013, 21:24
1DC..
Did he ask next why you come all this way for fuel?

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Aug 2013, 21:50
I said England, he said "Isn't that somewhere near that Northern Sea ...
Once Upon A Time a former girlfriend of mine was travelling in the US.

US person: "You from England then?"

Former girlfriend: "No, Scotland."

US person, sounding very puzzled: "But you speak very good English."

Yes, I realise that that could have been a deliberate subtle joke. She was, however, entirely sure that it was ignorance.

OFSO
30th Aug 2013, 23:41
I was looking over a new fitness centre here in Spain (since the one I've used for the past hundred years is closing). I understood that the owner/instructor was English so spoke to him in English - then suddenly I paid more attention to his accent and realised he was Welsh. Apologies for suggesting he was English ! he just laugh'd and said living in Spain he got used to it. Still, these things are IMPORTANT.

(I would have been really pissed off if someone had thought I was Welsh).

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2013, 00:04
When I was working for a Danish company (in Denmark) and dealing with a customer in Wales, I discovered that the dispatch department were addressing the parcels to "Customer, Cwmbran, Wales, England" as they assumed that Wales was a region of England.

Capetonian
31st Aug 2013, 00:16
A woman in a post office in Spain told me that South Africa was in the USA and 'corrected' the address I had written.

A girl from Birmingham whom I shagged a few times on holiday in Portugal could not understand why Christmas is in summer in South Africa and winter in the UK. She said if it's the middle of the summer in SA when it's Christmas, we must have Christmas on 25th. July.

cattletruck
31st Aug 2013, 08:21
I get that a lot too Cap and I am often asked "What month is it down there now?" :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Worrals in the wilds
31st Aug 2013, 09:34
She said if it's the middle of the summer in SA when it's Christmas, we must have Christmas on 25th. July.
This causes quite a bit of angst among the Aussie pagan community. Some do their festivals in line with the European seasons and others move them forwards by six months, on the basis that they're change of season rites and should be celebrated in the right weather conditions. I was unpopular all 'round after suggesting a cyclone festival. Made sense to me, but most pagans are a humourless bunch... :uhoh:
Would 'decade' be more appropriate ?
Nah, no question. It's the eighties! Who didn't enjoy the eighties?:cool::}

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Aug 2013, 10:17
A woman in a post office in Spain told me that South Africa was in the USA
When was this and how old was she? - between 1910 and 1961 she'd have been right.

Union of South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_Africa)

Capetonian
31st Aug 2013, 10:22
She meant the USA as in 'America'. She crossed out the words 'Africa del Sur' and wrote EE. UU. which is the Spanish abbreviation for Estados Unidos even though that description is incorrect, it generally applies to the USA. She then argued with me .......

It was in 1996. She was wrong. However you look at it. And stupid and uneducated.

dead_pan
31st Aug 2013, 10:37
What's wrong with that?

Err, whereabouts in Majorca are you going? You may know where Majorca is, but do you know where Magaluf or Palma Nova is?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

racedo
31st Aug 2013, 11:08
Err, whereabouts in Majorca are you going? You may know where Majorca is, but do you know where Magaluf or Palma Nova is?

I love Majorca which was a surprise, booked it a number of years ago as a mid season break, always stay in a private rental in Palma Nove because close to beach and kids who V young then loved in. Had a meal in Magaluf one evening to say we been there..............that was enough..

Tour the Island always and spend when we tour around.......... Never go on an all inclusive as big tour operators running that.

Remember after visiting glass factory which is a minimum once a trip visit, littlie had a little glass souvenir, stopped off to get some food close to home and he dropped and it smashed.
Never seen him so incolsolable as I walked to him, it was gone for ever. "So should we go back and get another" got a wide teary eyed, "We can't" ?. I just told him I'm going back so lets get in the car.
Never seen him so happy to have got another Ä1 piece, brought everywhere with him for couple of days.
Well the Ä5 other similar piece made sure that he always had one :). Forgotten once we returned home.

Moral of the story ..............If buy a cheap souvenir for kids then buy 2 or 3 to ensure that quick replacement ready and daddy is wonderful for putting all those pieces back together like new.

vulcanised
31st Aug 2013, 12:50
Shirley, everyone knows that South Africa used to be called Rhodesia?

superq7
31st Aug 2013, 13:09
dead pan

We're going to a hotel not far from Porto Cristo, went to same hotel a couple of years ago 3 star could do with a makeover but fine for us working class types.

fenland787
31st Aug 2013, 13:26
While I was living in Sunny Seattle I went for TalkTalk's 'International' package on my UK phone so wife and kids could call me for less. I queried why they put me on a package called 'Africa' when I told them I wanted 'North America'. Was assured it was ok and correct as the package "covered the whole continent". :ugh:

Rossian
31st Aug 2013, 14:21
....I was sitting next to a young woman on a computer course. She'd been absent for a couple of weeks. Where? Holiday. Oh, where did you go?
Um um Spain .....I think.

Got on bus went to airport met by rep who took her through checkin and saw her into departures. Got in aluminium tube and flew for.....How long? can't remember. Got off got bags met by rep go to bus no.73 got to hotel. All inclusive. Two weeks later did procedure in reverse.

Give us a clue what was the food like? Burgers chips pizza don't like foreign food.

All this took 35 mins of careful gentle questioning - not being judgemental you see, it was that sort of course. I think she went to Majorca but couldn't be sure. It wasn't the fact that she didn't know it was the fact that she didn't care she didn't know that had me biting my lip. And she was entitled to vote.

The Ancient Mariner

ShyTorque
31st Aug 2013, 15:19
Including tattoos and foul-mouthed wife!

As a Brit I must object most strongly to this awful and inaccurate bigotry.

I don't have any tattoos.... :p

radeng
31st Aug 2013, 18:21
Surely everybody knows the Union of South Africa is in England today? Right now, she should be finishing taking water at Carnforth on the way from Carlisle to Crewe via Manchester.

Oh, you didn't mean 60009?

Hartington
31st Aug 2013, 21:36
As a child I lived in Chiswick in West London, in what one might call a "sub suburb" known as Grove Park. One day my father met a slightly confused gentleman and asked if he could help. Turned out he was looking for an address in Grove Park South-East London.

Lack of location sense is nothing new even if the size of the problem has grown!

baggersup
31st Aug 2013, 22:07
Geographical confusion is not just limited to under-educated package deal travelers.

It's quite common (in fact it's become even more cringe-inducingly common in the last two days with the UK in the US all over the news due to the Syria thingy) for news broadcasters, for members of Congress, and opinion commentators to say "England" when they mean Great Britain or "UK."

It happens all of the time. How embarrassing is that. Especially from a member of Congress speaking on the floor of the Senate or House, as I heard a few weeks ago? Ouch.

I had a circular convo with a friend who's not...ahem.... "world aware" who likes the tv show "The Americans" and kept referring to Matthew Rhys as "I like that Englishman on there!" I gently kept saying, he's Welsh, actually.

Dead silence. Not a clue. :ugh:

Making fun of them aside, it really does worry me, though, when members of Congress who have legislative authority over us and who have to deal with matters of international importance don't even know the name of the country (or its fundamental make up) that the US does so much political and financial business with! Are we to trust their decisions?

Yikes.

PTT
31st Aug 2013, 23:21
Are BA absolutely certain that the country labelled France at the bottom of that diagram actually is France and not Spain?
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02649/graphic_2649369a.jpg

OFSO
1st Sep 2013, 09:35
BBC/SKY etc have been referring to the place where an Englishman murdered his father on Friday as the "village of Estartit". Well, the permanent population is over 4000 and it swells to five times that in summer...so some 'village'.

uffington sb
1st Sep 2013, 09:38
When that young girl was murdered in Goa a few years back, the Beeb referred to it as the island of Goa.