PDA

View Full Version : FR24

SpringHeeledJack
29th Aug 2013, 18:41
From time to time I tune into the FR24 website to see what is flying around the skies and since my last visit a few weeks ago it seems that bizjets(as in type) and small propeller aircraft are now showing up, whereas before they showed up with an homogenous form . The bizjets show no route information, or for that matter registration. Is this because an owner of such an aircraft decided to sue them for showing such things and now they're being more circumspect ? If so, those that might have the where with all would still be able to 'see' where such craft were going rendering such tactics worthless.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Aug 2013, 19:17
Bizjets don't always show location on SBS. I was told it was because the owners didn't want their locations in the public domain. Many more aircraft are now showing on FR24 because of something called MLAT, but I've no idea what it is or how it works.

750XL
29th Aug 2013, 19:28
How it works - Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker! (http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works)

In short:

MLAT requires 4 receivers and the coordinates of each receiver
All 4 receivers must be calibrated to the exact same time
When all 4 receivers pick up the ADS-B signal, they are able to fairly accurately work out the aircraft position based on the time difference of the receiver picking up the signal
The more receivers, the more accurate the position

PlanePlotter has been doing this quite effectively for a number of years

DaveReidUK
29th Aug 2013, 20:21
When all 4 receivers pick up the ADS-B signalStrictly speaking, it's a Mode S signal (not ADS-B) being transmitted by the aircraft that's being multilaterated by the network of receivers.

If the aircraft was sending ADS-B, then there wouldn't be any need to use multilateration to determine its position.

Stu666
29th Aug 2013, 20:56
Very welcome addition to FR24.

Seems to work well for the larger stuff like FlyBe's Dash-8s, but I'm finding a lot of the smaller prop stuff is giving wildly inaccurate positions and heights. I'm also still seeing the odd bizjet going over with no sign of it on FR24.

Twitcher
30th Aug 2013, 11:01
It now shows a lot more military activity too .. both UK and US aircraft, sometimes even with Registrations.

Big Eric
30th Aug 2013, 14:41
"It now shows a lot more military activity too .. both UK and US aircraft, sometimes even with Registrations. "

Yes, but some of the information is horribly wrong and needs taken with a huge pinch of salt !

uksatcomuk
1st Sep 2013, 10:55
The key to mlat coverage is a good network of ground stations...this allows tracking at much lower levels.

PlanePlotter has about 1000 ground stations worldwide with 300 or so across the UK alone. Consequently it can track down to a few hundred feet ....or lower

The animation below shows yesterdays Vulcan sortie
The network has been running for about five years.Eventually as FR24s ground stations increase in numbers similar coverage will be possible.

John
PlanePlotter Support
**PlanePlotter the first and only multilateration network software
for aviation enthusiasts.
PlanePlotter from COAA (http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm)

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zgaro2.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
5th Sep 2013, 10:56
Is there something up with FR24 at the moment ? All I'm getting is the maps, but no little yellow aeroplane thingies flitting around the screen. ;)

srobarts
5th Sep 2013, 11:10
Working fine for me, loads of little yellow aeroplane thingies flitting around the screen.
Try restart on your browser?

coldair
5th Sep 2013, 11:30
Jack,

it only works with Firefox on my computer.

SpringHeeledJack
5th Sep 2013, 15:15
Thanks for the replies, however it doesn't work on 3 different browsers, so either I've inadvertently done something (v possible :p) or some other external issue is affecting it.

SHJ

treadigraph
5th Sep 2013, 17:47
Working OK for me on Chrome...

750XL
6th Sep 2013, 06:03
Have you accidentally applied a filter?

LiamNCL
6th Sep 2013, 11:09
http://s17.postimg.org/6q157zz2n/image.jpg

Nice parking by EK35 ;)

treadigraph
6th Sep 2013, 11:22
I keep noticing different Dutch registered gliders and, yesterday, a Cameron Hot Air Balloon in the same position just off Bridlington. Never move and obviously spurious - but what causes them? Not there as I post...

Occasionally see ghost aircraft pop up over SE England - recently it's been Bluebird 737 TF-BBF (or H?) or an Atlantic Airways ATP (G-BTP?), both of which "hover" at the location in question and last year the Indian A320 which had recently crashed kept popping up.

DaveReidUK
6th Sep 2013, 13:26
Nice parking by EK35Hmmm. Track 120°, speed 0 - that's a neat trick.

coldair
8th Sep 2013, 00:19
Dave,

I think that means he has stopped. i.e. Landed and that is the directon he is pointing.

I could be wrong though, I am sometines ;-)

DaveReidUK
8th Sep 2013, 07:26
I think that means he has stopped. i.e. LandedLet's hope so, given his location. :O

and that is the direction he is pointing.With his tail sticking out over stand 10, and his wingtip embedded in the pier? I think not.

SpringHeeledJack
17th Sep 2013, 18:38
Blimey! Every week a new addition and/or change.

Propeller driven craft galore, even the lumbering AN-12's as they drone across Europe. Bizjets no longer identified other than type and height, and many other aircraft only showing a partial 'trace' of the direction they came from. The best one HAS to be ground vehicles, noted at LGW this afternoon, including the trace of their route around the airside part of the airport :}

SHJ

Burnie5204
17th Sep 2013, 20:56
Something you may soon see for EMA Ground Vehicles too if the rumour I hear about doing another trial of Ground Vehicle Transponders when they go to E-FPS in ATC comes to fruition

treadigraph
18th Sep 2013, 06:14
even the lumbering AN-12's

Yeah, head a lovely deep drone while out cycling near Biggin on Monday afternoon - quick glimpse of a dark blue underside, checked when I got home, Ukrainian AN-12. Heard it again late last night, same aircraft...

take-off
18th Sep 2013, 08:20
Has anybody clicked on the airports for the departures and arrivals ,as all of Thomsons flights are showing as Transavia FRance as the airline, doesnt matter which airport you click on , and Thomas Cook is coming up as Air Tanzania :E:sad:,, Easyjet , Jet2 etc.. are all showing as respective airlines, Just these two are different. Is it just glitch ? Just seems strange

take-off
18th Sep 2013, 08:22
Also today's Las Vegas flight on FR24 departures from Manchester is showing an AIR Tanzania 757????:eek: Im sure thats wrong...but stranger things have happened :}

Evanelpus
18th Sep 2013, 09:02
Take Off, I think your second post answered your question, re Air Tanzania.

I've recently changed phones from a Nokia 800 to a Samsung S4, so I bought the FR24 APP. It's brilliant on my new phone (couldn't have it for my old one because I only had Windows 7) and I have purchased the in APP timetables which work a treat.

take-off
18th Sep 2013, 09:30
Yes well I thought that , but its been on the desktop version, showing thomson and Thomas cook now since the update as wrong airlines and that's been a few weeks ago now. If you click on the actual plane you get the right details.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Sep 2013, 10:16
If anyone has a few minutes to spare have a look on FR24 around 09:55Z for BPA9836, Blue Panorama B767 apparently inbound to Brize. On my PC it landed well south of Brize!

DaveReidUK
20th Sep 2013, 11:55
If anyone has a few minutes to spare have a look on FR24 around 09:55Z for BPA9836, Blue Panorama B767 apparently inbound to Brize. On my PC it landed well south of Brize! No different from BA's older 767s, which also have inertial-powered ADS-B and frequently "land" in Stanwell and Harlington.

Unfortunately FR24 doesn't capture the parameter that aircraft send which indicates the maximum potential error magnitude in the positional data (can be as much as 10nm).

Charley B
20th Sep 2013, 12:00
Landed well south on my PC too Bren...definately a missed approach!!;)

DaveReidUK
20th Sep 2013, 12:28
Landed well south on my PC tooI suspect that FR24 displays the same track on everybody's PC. :O

KBPsen
20th Sep 2013, 23:19
Really, who gives a sh..

DaveReidUK
21st Sep 2013, 09:20
Really, who gives a sh..You mean apart from the FAA, who are betting the ranch on ADS-B? :ugh: