PDA

View Full Version : what is it about computers?

papajuliet
29th Aug 2013, 16:21
Last night my most used desktop PC booted up as normal. I clicked on load personal settings - desktop appeared without any icons or toolbar etc. - nothing but an MS screen picture and no matter what I did [ including all suggestions on google - accessed from another PC] I could not get it to work properly. Gave up, went to bed, resolving to call in an expert. Tried the PC today and everything worked normally - indeed this is being typed on it.
Anyone any thoughts? [ I can stand facetiousness today but I couldn't have done last night!]

mixture
29th Aug 2013, 17:35
Your description is a bit all over the place, but trying to find the needle in the haystack, my guess would be you've got a dodgy profile.

How does the thing run if you create a new user account and spend a few days using that ? More stable, better behaved ? Then your old account is trash.

If its not that, then you've probably got a virus, dodgy hard drive or both. :E

gileraguy
29th Aug 2013, 20:58
Search fot "The ten reasons the guy who fixes your computer hates you"

Install a Malware detection program and a bot detection program.

I am always amazed at what switching the computer off for ten seconds before switching it back on achieves...

papajuliet
30th Aug 2013, 22:35
Thanks both. Perhaps I should have said that it's a Win XP system.
Tried the switch off/ switch on trick [ amongst many others] - it made no difference.
The PC has worked normally after it's little tantrum.I guess it'll remain one of life's little mysteries.