PDA

View Full Version : We are Martians

Sallyann1234
29th Aug 2013, 11:03
"The evidence seems to be building that we are actually all Martians; that life started on Mars and came to Earth on a rock,"

BBC News - Earth life 'may have come from Mars' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765)

Fascinating stuff.

Vercingetorix
29th Aug 2013, 11:05
Well, I've met a few 'spaced out Dudes' in my time so it is extremely plausible!
:uhoh:

Lightning Mate
29th Aug 2013, 11:07
You don't actually believe that do you?

Scientists are scientists.

Even now some say that the earth is warming up, others say that in fact it's cooling down.

tony draper
29th Aug 2013, 11:16
Tiz a old idea that has been around for years called Panspermia,the idea that life originated elsewhere and landed here,it doesn't really help,whether life originated here or elsewhere tiz still a mystery.
Think it's a load of bollix meself,hard enough for the spark to start and evolve right here than to kick off elsewhere then float through space for a few billion years and start all over again.
Anyway why should it start on a micky mouse failed effort of a pathetic planet like Mars and not here?
:rolleyes:

alisoncc
29th Aug 2013, 11:21
Anyway why should it start on a micky mouse failed effort of a pathetic planet like Mars and not here?

Hey watch it, rude bugger. You are talking about my home. :{

Sallyann1234
29th Aug 2013, 11:25

His argument is that the conditions and particularly the chemical constitution of Mars were more conducive. It was the chemical starters that came here, not the life itself.

But I take your point that the essential mystery is still there. Perhaps neither Genesis or Dawkins has the answer: I prefer the third option myself.

cattletruck
29th Aug 2013, 11:36
That explains all them greenies then.

Lon More
29th Aug 2013, 12:04
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said

KAG
29th Aug 2013, 12:11
Tiz a old idea that has been around for years called Panspermia,the idea that life originated elsewhere and landed here,it doesn't really help,whether life originated here or elsewhere tiz still a mystery.Exactly. Moving the problem doesn't solve it, and it still remain the same great mystery whatever the place.

Lightning Mate
29th Aug 2013, 12:14
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/A-Load-of-bollocks_zps1e5d1e2e.jpg

Alloa Akbar
29th Aug 2013, 13:17
Lightning - I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea.. after all..

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01431/jacksonFace_1431534c.jpg

http://www.independentsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Dennis-Rodman-in-better-days.jpg

Noah Zark.
29th Aug 2013, 13:22

Could it be that we DID start life on Mars, knackered it up like we are doing with this beautiful one, and bailed out just before it finally it shrivelled up to what it is now? Very, very plausible, methinks! (Wibble!)

Lonewolf_50
29th Aug 2013, 13:22
It looks like Ray Bradbury was right, just in reverse. :cool:
(Ref to his stories "The Martian Chronicles")

mikedreamer787
29th Aug 2013, 13:25
"The evidence seems to be building that we are actually all Martians;

Nope SallyAnne disagree - blokes might be Martians but women
are definitely Venusians. Even the bloody Romans knew that! ;)

pigboat
29th Aug 2013, 13:29
Humanity may have come from Sol III. Politicians came from Sol VII. :p

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 13:36
Tony D wrote:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tony D? The martians are not amused by your referring to their planet as "mickey mouse." Not amused at all. Expect an extraterrestrial visit in the near future.

http://elefant09.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/martians.jpg

Tony D.... Tony D.... We have come for you Tony D. And your little cat too. Tony D... Tony D...

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 13:40
Now, I don't know about all this Martian stuff and where we may have evolved from but one thing I do know is I have met quite a few people in my life who are definitely from the Moon.
Mainly because they can easily be classified as Luna-tics.

Alloa Akbar
29th Aug 2013, 13:43
Mainly because they can easily be classified as Luna-tics

Mate, if you posted that on the jokes thread you would (Correctly!) be berated, lambasted and generally abused beyond belief for typing such a rubbish joke..:p

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 13:48
Alloa:

I am quite aware of the fact that American-style humor, or attempts at such, are often lost on YOU PEOPLE. Just as YOU PEOPLE have this dry humor which is often lost on us. (Probably because that humor is about as dry as the Sahara desert but, what the hell.)

Actually, the word lunatic did originate as a description to describe someone whose behavior was unduly influenced by the Moon during the full moon cycle. Sort of like me. When there's a full moon the Mrs. know she's in trouble because for a few days before the full moon, and for a few days after, I chase her around the house for my own nefarious, and lustful, reasons.

So Alloa? Stick it. :}:}:}

Sallyann1234
29th Aug 2013, 13:54
Tiz a old idea that has been around for years called Panspermia

That sounds like a good name for the Westminster parliament at the moment, judging by the number of [email protected] there.

superq7
29th Aug 2013, 13:59
RG
You are quite correct Lunatic ,Origin & history Quote affected with periodic insanity, dependant on changes of the moon.

PS feel sorry for your Mrs.

Alloa Akbar
29th Aug 2013, 14:05
rgbrock1 - are often lost on YOU PEOPLE No, we get it.. we really do.. Just because when you people tell us a joke, we look blank / indignant / bored, thats just our way of expressing our appreciation of your wit.. we are laughing on the inside, and thats what really counts ;)

Rich Hall transcends the Atlantic humour divide, all y'all need to go have a listen to ole Rich.. :p

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 14:24
Alloa oddly wrote:

all y'all

Spent too much time in the southern States of America, did we Alloa?!!!! :}:E

Alloa Akbar
29th Aug 2013, 14:38
I certainly did.. Roll Tide!

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 14:49
Ahhhhh, 'bama eh? Right next door to the great southern state of Georgia. In which I spent much time and will always have a great fondness for. (Tried convincing the Mrs. that living in Georgia would be A Fine Thing but she wouldn't have any of it. Not yet anyway as I'm still working on it!)

tony draper
29th Aug 2013, 15:17
A fine State indeed and named after a good English King.:E

superq7
29th Aug 2013, 15:22
Tony D

Most American towns names are copied from us, they can't think up any for themselves :ooh:

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 15:29
Up yours, superq! :}

Actually in the great satanic state of Connecticut every city, town and village has a reciprocal city, town and village in England. Then again, Connecticrap was one of the first of the original 13 colonies anyway, so I guess it kind of makes sense. (Not that anything else that goes on in CT makes any sense.)

Tony D.

I was not aware that the State of Georgia was named after an English King. Interesting but not surprising.

Was the State of Massachusetts named after an English King as well? Because if it was, he needed to change his goddamn name because it's too difficult to spell and saying it incorrectly can give one the impression that the speaker is saying: Mass-of-two-shits. (When, in reality, we all know it's really spoken as Tax-a-chusetts.)

mikedreamer787
29th Aug 2013, 15:37
A lot of States in the US are named straightforwardly. But some
like Alabama, Arizona and certainly California has me 'boozled
as to how (and by who) these names were thunked up.

And of course Mass o' two shits.

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 15:45
mikedreamer:

Dunno about Arizona and Alabama but Californication was a Spanish possession many moons ago and, when it was so, was named Alta California. So I guess it means something in the Spanish language. What that is, I have no idea. (Although Spanish is the 1st language nowadays of the United States, I do not speak it. )

OFSO?

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 15:52
mikedreamer:

Out of interest I just did a google on Alabama and found out that the name comes from "the Muskogean-speaking Indian tribe who lived in the area of the, now, upper Alabama river".

tony draper
29th Aug 2013, 15:55
It's ok Mr Rock,tiz named after George II not George III who I understand you folks got a tad miffed with.:rolleyes:

sisemen
29th Aug 2013, 15:57
At least when we go back to the home planet we'll know which mat to look under for the key. I wonder if they remembered to turn the gas off and cancel the milk?

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 16:08
Correct, Tony D, George III was not high on anyone's list, at the time, to send a Christmas card to. :}

FYI Tony. There is a place in upstate New York where the wife and I go often for vacation/holiday. The name of the town is Lake George and on the southern shore of Lake George sits Fort William Henry.

Rather colorful names, no?!!!!

pigboat
29th Aug 2013, 16:26
It's ok Mr Rock,tiz named after George II...
I seem to recall there's a plaque in front of the Masonic Lodge on Bay Street in Savannah that says precisely that.

tony draper
29th Aug 2013, 16:58
Well many a Brit laid their mark upon your land chaps.:rolleyes:
Mark Knopfler & James Taylor - Sailing to Philadelphia - YouTube

er340790
29th Aug 2013, 17:56
Apparently Indiana came from 'Indian lands'...

Somehow I should have figured that. But didn't! :ugh: :O :ugh:

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 18:03
There are many city, town and village names in the United States which have Native American words as origins.

For example, when I lived on Long Island, New York I noted a lot of Indian named towns such as:

Cutchogue
Patchogue
Massapequa
Aquebogue
Matinecock
Shinnecock
Montauk
Amagansett
Ronkonkoma
Nissequogue
Setauket
Merrick
Hauppauge

The Shinnecock Indian tribe still resides on Long Island albeit in a reservation. During the summer months they put on several shows depicting Indian life, customs, speech, food, etc.
I visited these shows every year and was always inspired by them afterwards. Native Americans were, and still are for a large part, a very spiritual and humble people.

Nani
29th Aug 2013, 19:24
"Connecticrap" <<<< beats Hookerland...:p

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 19:26
Hookerland? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

ShyTorque
29th Aug 2013, 20:32
Problem is we never learn about climate change. We move on, we find primitive beings on other planets, we hybridise to survive.

Explains it all. Missing link and all that.

We're still at it, although we don't realise it yet.

tony draper
29th Aug 2013, 21:45
Nah,the others came took my people down from the trees and genetically engineered us to be smart, sadly some of them escaped before they were finished and became the rest of you.

Loose rivets
29th Aug 2013, 22:03
Well, this yarn what I wrote, explains all . . . given a bit of logical sci-fi leeway.

One of the main thrusts of 'The Perfect Code' is about how we came to be in this universe, and how we seem to be climbing out of a morass of species - 'a grain of sand in a desert of species' I think I said. Having seen Neil deGrass Tyson's picture of the species wheel, it really does beg the question of why we are slowly rising above other quite sophisticated beings, and how we survived when countless thousands of the more sophisticated species became extinct.

ShyTorque
29th Aug 2013, 22:10
genetically engineered us to be smart

And move to NEWCASTLE? :p

tony draper
29th Aug 2013, 22:19
Why not? our ancestors grew up in Atlantis so when the others buggad off we reckoned we had better find elsewhere to dwell that was geologically stable had a temperate climate and as many turnips as we could eat,we got out just in time.

Nani
30th Aug 2013, 03:58
Hookerland?

Rev.Thomas Hooker! Could have named the nutmeg state after himself.:eek: