PDA

View Full Version : It takes for ever.....

TripleTAY
4th May 2002, 20:42
Hi. I need some advice. I am a keen user of pprune, but recently it has taken VERY long time to long on and browsing the various forums. If anybody has some advice I would really apreciate it. My computer is not the from yesterday but works fine, except for this little problem. I have a ASDL 128/512 connection. Many thanks.

RadarContact
5th May 2002, 07:53
Are you connecting through a proxy? If so, try a different one or try not using one and see if it improves anything...

FL310
5th May 2002, 09:54
I guess that you are the only one, who observes and experiences this kind of problem right now, PPPrNe runs on lightning speed presently....

There may be several problems, one, as RadarContact said, may be a proxy you use.
Another one may be the DNS translation. Which browser are you using, is your history (temp internet folders) consuming a lot of space on the harddrive, is there space left on the harddrive for temporary files, does this problem happen on other sites you visit?
As mentioned on othere threads, check the speed of your modem, there may be a problem there.
What OS are you using....

PPRuNe Towers
5th May 2002, 10:39
I've had 2 complaints in the past week from people having problems with speed on the site. I've explained that as a road warrior I'm still getting great service using a dial up portable from a hotel room.

I've suggested that they post their problems here to ensure opinions and help from experienced, and more importantly independent, users of PPRuNe.

Rob

malanda
8th May 2002, 05:32
TripleTay:

Is it only PPRuNe that's affected? (Maybe you don't use anything else :))

The reason I ask is I heard of someone this week who is only getting 7kbits/second from an ADSL line. Perhaps you should be talking to BT.

flapsforty
8th May 2002, 17:37
TripleTay, while fast at home, I have the same probs when I'm at my alternative abode. ADSL, most web pages load fine but pprune is so slow that it becomes impossible to read as the browser just gives up trying the download.
(major frustration for yours truly! ;) )

The problem seems to be having to do with the PC itself and not the site though. When they last reformatted their PC, I ran pprune no probs, but as soon as the ankle biters re-installed their war games, it slowed down pprune to a crawl again.
Also some of the down-load-music sites like Morpheus can cause probs.
Don't know if you have kids on your PC, but keeping a close eye on what they download is always a good idea.

TripleTAY
8th May 2002, 20:41
Many thanks everybody for your help. TripleTAY

OzPax1
8th May 2002, 22:25
Hmmmm...! Just a thought, do you have firewalls in place on your computers? Coz since you have ADSL you really should have. You never no there may be a Trojon file on your PC. :eek: Check out this this site and frighten yourself into installing Zonealarm at the very least!! :eek: :D :D www.grc.com (http://www.grc.com) And for zonealarm (which is free by the way!!:D :D ) Zonealarm (http://www.zonealarm.com)