PDA

View Full Version : Rim Fire

OFSO
27th Aug 2013, 18:39
Checking out the smoke direction for friends in Fresno, I noticed a much smaller fire down to the south-west, in the Santa Lucia mountains. Has this one been reported in the media ?

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/california-rim-fire-modis_zps18596a2f.jpg

11Fan
27th Aug 2013, 18:43
I don't know about the fires, but it looks like Fresno just got nuked :uhoh:

Dushan
27th Aug 2013, 18:44
Oh, I thought you meant this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/.22_LR.jpg/300px-.22_LR.jpg

Dushan
27th Aug 2013, 18:45
I don't know about the fires, but it looks like Fresno just got nuked :uhoh:

And that would be such a bad thing?

racedo
27th Aug 2013, 18:53
I don't know about the fires, but it looks like Fresno just got nuked http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

You almost make that sound like a bad thing :p

SpringHeeledJack
27th Aug 2013, 18:53
And there was me thinking it was a thread about Cheryl Cole's arse tattoo, specifically the pain she must have felt when the tattoo artiste was doing the back door roses :ooh:

When is Jellystone meant to go ? Are there any signs of impending magma movement ?

SHJ

rgbrock1
27th Aug 2013, 18:55
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ANpGvopPK_DALPIIkwaZuxSUCq_NNjhqgsSX6yt9u1BOBms7yQJbDcN9p0cB qAZp0RtldZNGUErmT4gHhOjGRnWeZ1Q0Dc1NrHmVYiLN93o=w886-h665-n

wings folded
27th Aug 2013, 19:49
Rim Fire
Consequence of a decent Vindaloo?

racedo
27th Aug 2013, 21:24
Rim Fire
Consequence of a decent Vindaloo?

Best remembered with this music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7107ELQvY

Cacophonix
28th Aug 2013, 08:14
Interesting example of pyro cumulus in RGB's photo...

These large forest fires can generate their own weather...

Fire Tornadoes from a forest fire(Part1:Fire Vortex appears) - YouTube

Caco

tony draper
28th Aug 2013, 08:45
Wonder how long those fires lasted before mankind walked the Earth and tried to put them out.:uhoh:

TWT
28th Aug 2013, 09:51
Best remembered with this music

Indeed racedo,there is no more appropriate tune when we're discussing vindaloo

Worrals in the wilds
28th Aug 2013, 10:15
There's a local winery called Rimfire, and they got all pouty when people started speculating about cause and effect wrt drinking their product. :E
VisitVineyards.com - Rimfire Vineyards & Winery (http://www.visitvineyards.com/queensland/toowoomba/wine/vineyards-wineries/info/rimfire-vineyards-and-winery)
Bold and adventurous, apparently...:uhoh: You have been warned. :}

OFSO
28th Aug 2013, 10:43
These large forest fires can generate their own weather...

In my part of the world very few fires make any progress in absolute calm.

The major factor here is the Tramontana blowing from high pressure in the north to low pressure in the south, at anything up to 200kph (the highest gust recorded in the last 20 years was 204 kph at Port Bou, I was out walking that day and got knocked down several times) and anything down to 10% humidity. It is almost impossible to extinguish a forest fire until the Tramontana dies down: example, the August 2012 fire which burned for several days from the French border (cigarette end) to Figueras in the south, Boadilla in the west and Rabós in the east.

Massive fires are burning in Portugal right now - many started deliberately. I won't repeat what I have said previously on JB about suitable punishment for these individuals.

Worrals in the wilds
28th Aug 2013, 11:56
Good luck to your firefighters.
We also get them and they're also often deliberately lit. Dunno what you previously posted, but I probably agree with it. :mad: The same goes for people who flick lit cigarettes out of cars in bushfire prone areas. From a reformed rural car smoker; Get a water-filled jar FFS. :ugh:

mikedreamer787
28th Aug 2013, 12:24
From a reformed rural car smoker;

How long were you a b!tch after you gave up Worrals?
For me I was a total pr!ck for about 6 months then it
dropped off to pr!ck status after the 7th month. By 12
months I was in the arsehole category for another 12,
but by 2 years after quitting I became reasonably well
balanced.
But there are times still I'd murder and maim for a drag!

Far as arsonists are concerned setting fire to their homes
(if any), cars and wallet would be a suitable punishment.
And a lifelong ban on anything on their person that can
generate a flame.

Worrals in the wilds
28th Aug 2013, 12:30
Ask me once I've completely given up. :O
Quit while driving, then quit while working and finally quit while sober.

After a drink or two? Different story. :( At least I'm not a daily smoker anymore, so that's a start. Not did I ever flick lit butts out the window. One of the bushy cousins taught me to pinch them between my fingers before dropping them; if they weren't out you soon knew about it :ouch: Not very glamorous but at least it prevented fires. :cool:

parabellum
28th Aug 2013, 12:42
taught me to pinch them between my fingers

and then stick them behind your ear for a re-light later on Worrals?!:}

mikedreamer787
28th Aug 2013, 12:46
So you weren't a cranky lass after you puffed your last?

For me the most precious, sort-after, delicious, pleasurably
satisfying smoke was the devilishly slow post coital lightup.
For six months I was the most undesirable bastard to have
anywhere around during the afterglow phase.

500N
28th Aug 2013, 12:47
Worrals

"Get a water-filled jar FFS"

What ever happened to using the Ash tray in the car ??????

"taught me to pinch them between my fingers before dropping them"

I reckon you are better off rubbing them instead of pinching it, the hot bit
doesn't stay on one piece of skin long enough to burn you.

mikedreamer787
28th Aug 2013, 12:53
Apparently I hear Oz cars aren't allowed to have ashtrays
(and lighters) as standard equipment anymore 500N. The
anti-everything ratbag lobbies won't let them. My sis down
there carries a bottle quarter filled with water as her ashtray
accessory.

rgbrock1
28th Aug 2013, 13:37
My 2008 Honda Civic did not have an ashtray installed anywhere in the car. Dunno why that is though.

I flick cigs. out the window all the time. (I know: slob.) However, before flicking them I "field strip" the cigarette i.e.,
roll all the remaining tobacco out and into the portable ashtray
I bought and use, and the paper and butt go out the window.
In all my years of smoke cigarettes I've never tossed a lit cig. out the window.

The SSK
28th Aug 2013, 15:08
there is no more appropriate tune when we're discussing vindaloo

The William Patel Overture

Poppadom poppadom poppadom-pom-pom

OFSO
28th Aug 2013, 15:25
I flick cigs. out the window all the time.

Alice or dead, if the Guardia Civil were driving behind you and saw it, you'd be the latter. Just after I moved here they shot an old woman in a fish market for jeering at them. The discussion here wasn't about them shooting her, but of her being so stupid as to laugh at the Guardia Civil.

rgbrock1
28th Aug 2013, 15:29
OFSO wrote:

Alice or dead, if the Guardia Civil were driving behind you and saw it, you'd be the latter

I seriously doubt it.

FYI. When I flick cigs. out the window of my car I do so AFTER they've been properly field-stipped i.e., no more tobacco inside the tube and no more flame.

er340790
28th Aug 2013, 15:35
Some ecomentalist was squawking about the threat to the 2,000-year old giant redwood trees this morning...

2,000 years??? Well my guess is that in that time they have survived fires far worse than this many times before.

(They now reckon some trees need forest fires to re-seed themselves...)

Calm down! It'll all be OK.... :rolleyes: :} :rolleyes:

rgbrock1
28th Aug 2013, 15:56
Actually the Rim fire, as of yesterday, has spread further into Yosemite. The fire was only 20% contained as of last night and has spread across 281 square miles. It is now being classified as the seventh-largest fire in state history but that classification could go up as the fire continues to spread.

con-pilot
28th Aug 2013, 22:03
A video from a C-130.

MAFFS 6 Rim Fire 22Aug13 1750 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c_eGiGG1B-Q)